Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eye  (Read 2372 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
eye
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:53 am »

I took this a few years ago and it still rather appeals to me; perhaps it's because it brings back memories of the trip, rather than for any intrinsic merit.

Comments?

Jeremy

Rob C

Re: eye
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »

Yes, it appeals to me too, Jeremy. It's just the kind of thing that has a nice element of observed design but probably never gets a second glance from the great mass of snappers.

I have to say, doing that sort of thing is damned good exercise for the eye. In pro stuff there is usually an overriding need that creates its own way of looking at the circumstances of the project, but that seldom includes anything particularly free-form, it's more about doing what you can with what you have; since starting to play with my cellphone I have discovered the magic of looking all the time, and not only when I think I'm doing something on purpose... interesting departure.

Which reminds me of Popular Mechanics of the 50s. There used to be ads there for New Departure brakes for bicycles; they were a back-peddle system that I've never encountered anywhere else. Or was the entire bike called New Departure? Never mind; no '59 Cadillac.

I note in the news that some guy living in Hong Kong, associated with one of those file-share schemes, has been arrested and his pink Caddy (also '59, if my eye was quick enough) taken into custody... I hope they treat it well.

Rob C

JohnCampbell

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

Rob,

Kim Dotcom (also know as Kim Schmitz) was arrested in NewZealand and the haul includes 6M of luxury cars including a 1959 Pink Cadillac. The FBI were involved & came over but only NZ police involved in the arrest targeting his 38th birthday party so they could arrest his mates at the same time........but anyway it was the welfare of the Caddy that you were interested, lets hope it goes to a good home!!

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:45:07 pm »

Back to Jeremy... I like the image because its simplicity makes my mind wonder... Mayan ball court?  Probably not. What then was the purpose?  Sometimes its as important to ponder the question as it is to discover the answer.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »

Rob,

Kim Dotcom (also know as Kim Schmitz) was arrested in NewZealand and the haul includes 6M of luxury cars including a 1959 Pink Cadillac. The FBI were involved & came over but only NZ police involved in the arrest targeting his 38th birthday party so they could arrest his mates at the same time........but anyway it was the welfare of the Caddy that you were interested, lets hope it goes to a good home!!

At least I remembered the important part - the car! Wasn't Hong Kong involved at all? I worry about me.

;-)

Rob C

JohnCampbell

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 02:28:04 am »

No worries, without going back and re-reading it amongst the correspondence uncovered was an email where the arrested dudes recognised that life was getting tough because of the law changes in the US, NZ and other countries and mention was made of possible options as to where they could shift to in order to carry on with their lifestyle. Hong Kong was one of the countries mentioned in that regard but I have by no means studied all the in & outs of the case so there maybe other connections to Hong Kong also (probably is given the scale of their operations).

John 

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

Back to Jeremy... I like the image because its simplicity makes my mind wonder... Mayan ball court?  Probably not. What then was the purpose?  Sometimes its as important to ponder the question as it is to discover the answer.

Mike.
Mike said it all vary well. It is an intriguing image. I like it.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »

Thanks.

I took it near the top of the Coit Tower in San Francisco.

Here's another, taken at about the same time.

My fond recollection is that later in the day I asked the lady who is now my wife to marry me.

Jeremy

Photo Op

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:49 pm »

"My fond recollection is that later in the day I asked the lady who is now my wife to marry me."

Eye see the connection! ;)
David

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:40:20 pm »

Thanks.

I took it near the top of the Coit Tower in San Francisco.

Here's another, taken at about the same time.

My fond recollection is that later in the day I asked the lady who is now my wife to marry me.

Jeremy

My God, Jeremy; that's a bit of a strong reaction to making a photograph!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »

That certainly was a good day for you, Jeremy.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:13 pm »

That's a fascinating story, Jeremy. Shooting that picture must have been very good luck.

But, to the pictures:

To me the most interesting thing about #1 is the fact that the eye has been covered by the same texturing material that was sprayed on the wall, and there's no sign that any sort of line or cable has ever been passed through the eye. So why was the eye put there? And, if someone intended to pass a cable through the eye, why is the eye oriented that way? If I were planning to pass a cable through it to lift something, I'd have mounted the eye a quarter turn counter-clockwise.

The composition in #2 is exceptionally good, probably the reason your girl said "yes," since the picture shows you have the eye of an artist.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 04:10:53 am »

That's a fascinating story, Jeremy. Shooting that picture must have been very good luck.

But, to the pictures:

To me the most interesting thing about #1 is the fact that the eye has been covered by the same texturing material that was sprayed on the wall, and there's no sign that any sort of line or cable has ever been passed through the eye. So why was the eye put there? And, if someone intended to pass a cable through the eye, why is the eye oriented that way? If I were planning to pass a cable through it to lift something, I'd have mounted the eye a quarter turn counter-clockwise.
That's what intrigued me as well, Russ. I can only assume that the pebbledash was applied after the ring had served whatever purpose it might have had, but I agree with you about the orientation.

The composition in #2 is exceptionally good, probably the reason your girl said "yes," since the picture shows you have the eye of an artist.
Thank you! It was Roberto's shot here which reminded me of mine (although I think his is a considerably better photograph).

Jeremy

jalcocer

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:09:56 am »

Really appealing to me also, what caught my attention the most is the shadow
Pages: [1]   Go Up