Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somethine went wrong with my Eco Print Shield canvas process!  (Read 1229 times)

StuNY

Somethine went wrong with my Eco Print Shield canvas process!
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:32 am »

Anyone seen anything like this before? I have been using Eco Print Shield on my Monet canvas prints for a while now and have had good results. My only complaint has been when I cut the finished canvas the edges flake a bit so I have been bending edges around gallery wraps and mounts to Gatorboard and all was well.

My last run of 10 prints all cracked terribly when I wrapped them around the edge of the Gatorboard! Ughhh. I did 2 layers of gloss, then a layer of satin as usual. The only differences in how I processed that comes to mind is that it is cold in my basement where I roll on the print shield. I also noticed that the Satin had become the consistency of a runny paste, not the water like consistency it has been before. It still rolled on fine and looks great- before folding at least!

I am going to try diluting the Print Shield today and see if that helps- I had found in the past that this wasn't necessary so use it straight out of the bottle. I noticed something odd when peeling up the tape that holds the print down when coating- as I peeled it up, the coating that had been on the tape flaked into tiny salt grain like crystals as I pulled it up. The satin coating seemed especially fragile.

Anyone else see this before or have any ideas?
Thanks

StuNY

Re: Somethine went wrong with my Eco Print Shield canvas process!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »

Oops... never mind!
Decided to bring one of the coated canvas prints upstairs into the warm house, couldn't get it to crack even with a tight crease! Took it back to basement (about 40 degrees today!) let it sit for an hour then started to fold- cracked every time I started to bend it! Looks like the dried coating is pretty temperature sensitive. No surprise I guess, lucky I don't have to reprint and coat everything all over!

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Somethine went wrong with my Eco Print Shield canvas process!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:14:17 pm »

The runny-paste consistency may have come from freezing, which is known to discombobulate most water paste paints.  Reputable suppliers won't even ship such products in freezing weather.  So stock up in September like a squirrel getting ready for winter.  And of course the reason for that living room rug is to wrap canvas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up