Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Printer Problems  (Read 1509 times)

slonina nature photography

• Slonina Nature Photography
    • Slonina Nature Photography and Photo Tours
Epson Printer Problems
« on: January 20, 2012, 03:26:59 pm »

Hi
I have had a long history with Epson. At one time for my tour participants I even recommended them.

Now it’s been one issue after another

First was the 2200. This printer uses an excessive amount of ink and the status showed the ink was gone even though there was still ink left in the cartridge. Epson ended up being sued for this. Please check the following link

http://www.pcworld.com/article/113112/epson_faces_consumer_suits.html

Then I purchased the Artisan. This printer I was using for general office letters etc (not photographs). This printer uses an incredible amount of ink. The paper does not feed properly so you constantly have to load and reload printer. The feed mechanism is incredibly sensitive. Whenever you purchase a printer please consider the cost per ml. I have to replace a cartridge on this printer approx every 20 pages i print.

I also purchased the 7880. This printer has had problems since day one.

a.) Epson serviced it once under warranty.

b.) The design is terrible. Why when I switch ink from Photo Black to Photo Matte does it have to drain all my cartridges? I understand the black. Guess why Profit.

c.) The printer wastes paper like crazy sometimes it feeds an extra 6 or 7 inches before it starts printing even though I lined it up properly.

d.) I was printing canvas paper. My roll size is 24 inches. I printed some images successfully that was 24 inches wide by 10 inches long. When I tried printing canvas that was more than 10 inches i get paper Skew Error.  It would print a first few images then stop. I would make adjustments it would look fine then again Skew Error. I called Epson Tech Support after one hour they were unable to resolve problem. They suggested I get a service rep to visit my house. Cost $100 evaluation then $149 hour plus multiple parts for additional money.

I don’t feel I should pay for a defective printer repair. I called Epson Corporate office John Lang is the President his office refused to talk to me.

Their office sent me to another department who I spoke with a manager Colleen.

She stated I should have purchased the extended warranty if I remember correctly was around $500 but I am not honestly sure. She also stated if I don’t want to pay for the repair I should consider a new printer. She stated that I was talking in circles and that she doesn’t want to talk to me and if I call again it will be just her I will speak to.

I will Canon.

I am really disappointed in Epson. I am just one consumer but they odiously don’t care. I also feel their printers are designed to maximize profit so you waste excessive ink and paper. I also feel you need to trust and like a company before investing in their products. This company has proven that they don’t care about their customers which disappointing. I the future I will look for a company with good corporate ethics.

Sorry for the long post

John Slonina
Slonina Photography Tours
http://www.sphotography.com

Join us on a Photo Tour of Wild America
http://www.sphotography.com
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/sloninaphotography
Blog:
http://wildphotographyblog.com
Email: jtslonina@aol.com
Phone: (508) 839-5111

Bears, Moose, New England, Minnesota, Alaska, Acadia, Puffins ect.

KenBabcock

Re: Epson Printer Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:42:00 pm »

I've owned every printer you mentioned with the exception of the 7880 (I have the larger 9880).  I currently own 5 large format printers, 4 of them are Epson.

Don't take this the wrong way, but without having to read any more I can tell that you need to learn a LOT about printing.  There is a learning curve.  You also have to realize that LF printing is an art with a bit of science thrown in.  You are complaining about things rather than attempting to find solutions.

Know how many times in the past 10 years Epson or any other technician has been needed here?  None!  Not one time have I ever needed anyone else to service my printers.  I've experienced everything you have mentioned.  I figured them out.

All I'm saying is that Epson makes the finest printers on the planet.  You really just need to learn them, and I'm saying that in the nicest possible way. 

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 08:05:12 pm »

I called Epson Corporate office John Lang is the President his office refused to talk to me.

Uh huh...exactly what were you expecting? That a really busy exec with a lot on his plate would take your call? Why? Why would you possible have an expectation that the Pres would talk to you (or that his interference would ever let you get though).

I think you need to learn how to manage your expectations (and perhaps learn how to print).

And hey, Canon printers can be pretty good...but if you aren't happy, are you gonna call Japan to complain?

Really, all you've done is make your post sound like it came from a crank...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:17:39 pm »

Really, all you've done is make your post sound like it came from a crank...
no kidding ... looks like a troll, or someone living in the middle of nowhere and completely out of touch with current technology.

In fact when I first read it based on the models being discussed I thought it was a several year old post that someone had resurrected.(hey the 2200 ain't great by todays standards but it's a dinosaur, and it was pretty darn good when it was introduced.)

framah

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 10:12:08 am »

Gotta agree with all of the responding posters.
My 2200 was a great printer till it just died.
My 9600 NEVER gave me a minute of problems for the entire time I owned it nor for the person to whom I sold it.
I could leave it sit for a month and turn it on, throw a file ti it and get a clean print every time.
My current 9900 is almost as trouble free and if there is a small problem I have solved it by doing a minor pairs cleaning and back to good again.

So..this comes down to... would you like some cheese with that whine???
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:22:41 pm »

Have to agree with all who responded. For anyone to think that self printing would be as simple as buying a quality product, push a button and a masterpiece comes out the other end is, at the very least, delusional. Inkjet printing is not like a Kodak saying("you push the button, we do the rest"). Even before you buy a Cadillac, you have to learn how to drive. I've had nothing but Epson printers beginning with a simple home office type. When the EX came out I started learning about color management. With every printer I got after that, I gained more knowledge about printers, CM, papers, ink and printing. Inkjet printing is not a push button endevor. While the journey has, at times, been frustrating, it has, never the less, been highly enjoyable.
So to the OP quit your bitchin'
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up