Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: for our forum engineers  (Read 5615 times)

fredjeang

for our forum engineers
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:57:47 am »

Let's see what our forum engineers have to say on that.

First, I'd like to say that what follows is NOT scientific right? I'm not a scientist. But it has something to do and wouldn't mind having a rational explaination on that if you feel like.
So forgive my non scientific semantic in this OP.

Also, I didn't want to put this in the coffee corner as it has something to do with the way images are recorded and then perceived so it could concern this area or any other area of image output.
Then, I suspect that our engineers are very present in this forum, for the number of graphics and charts I generally see arround here.

So apologies to MF artists, forgive my intrusion into the temple but this is a purely tech thread.

Ok, so I start:

If I remember (vagely) my physic's classes, I've learned that more an object moves fast, more it is necessary to increment a lot the energy in order to increase it's speed. If I remember well, it's because more an object moves fast, more it weights, so much more energy is requiered to keep going accelerating.
Am I right there ?

Well, I remembered this law because I had an experienced with the GH2 hack that seems a bit similar. (it's the MF forum so you could ask what the GH2 has to do? but I'd like to ask something in general, here that could also concern MF equipment.)

So, there is a camera that records 24 mb/s datas on card. I hack it to 44 mb/s. An increment in quality is clearly visible. Then, I said, fine, I'm going to hack it now at 88 mb/s. I was expecting the same optical increment, but no. From 24 to 44, I see a difference. From 44 to 88 I don't notice any difference. To start to notice a difference from 44 mb/s, I have to jump, not to the double but to more than the triple (almost 4 times).

In other words, it seems that more you push to high bitrates, more it requires much more bitrates to be able to see the difference. It doesn't follow a simple x2 logic.

That's why I remember this physic law of speed-energy (don't know the name of the law). But again, this is a perception I had on field, I didn't make any rigourus testings, it's purely perceptive, ok?

So my question to our scientists-engineers: are you surprised with what I experienced and is it reasonable to extrapolate that to the imagery in general. For ex that a slighlty increment in quality costs much much more "power", and the higher the quality is recorded the most difficult it is to increment it even more?

Hope I explained myself well enough.

more strange facts datas.

30 sec clips, same subject, same lightning, same optic

24 mb/s - file size 50M

44 mb/s - file size 80M - noticiable difference in quality compared to the 24

100 mb/s - file size 270M - no noticiable difference in quality compared to the 44, I'd need to jump to 140/160 to see an increment, almost 4x

etc...the logic keeps the same

See also that the file size increment doesn't follow the bitrate increment ? To gain twice the bitrate, I need 3 times more storage. That has consequences in storage.

now...

Red One 4K raw file, 30 sec clip: +600 M - 1Gb. Close to an already highly compressed AVCHD higher hack that records, let's remember, in 4.2.0... and 8 bits !!?

And the visual differences between the R3D file and the hack GH2 files yes are huge. (not so much downsampled to HD though)

Do you see a logic in all that ?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:08:01 pm by fredjeang »

michael

Re: for our forum engineers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:03:25 pm »

I'm not an engineer, far from it, but there's a lot more here than meets the eye.

The efficiency of the codec is one thing. For example, AVCDH/2 at 24mpbs. In comparisons that I've seen with images recorded uncompressed to a Hyperdeck Shuttle at over 1,000 mbps (10GB / minute) it is really hard to see a difference with typical footage.

I will be doing some critical comparisons of my own using the Sony NEX-FS100 camera with a Hyperdeck over the next few weeks and will have some reports on it here.

Michael

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:55:44 pm »

sounds a bit like the inverse square law. works the same for light if the subject is twice as far away it's doesn't need twice the light to illuminate it but 4x.
(i'm also not a physics person ;D  )

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 04:07:58 pm »

I'm not an engineer, far from it, but there's a lot more here than meets the eye.

The efficiency of the codec is one thing. For example, AVCDH/2 at 24mpbs. In comparisons that I've seen with images recorded uncompressed to a Hyperdeck Shuttle at over 1,000 mbps (10GB / minute) it is really hard to see a difference with typical footage.

I will be doing some critical comparisons of my own using the Sony NEX-FS100 camera with a Hyperdeck over the next few weeks and will have some reports on it here.

Michael

That will be indeed a great test worth to know.

the Shuttle needs expensive SSD and I don't remember if it records Prores 444. If you could include in your personal testing a graded version of both it would really reveal if the differences stand on post, wich is where we could expect the most. Probably the Hyperdeck will stand still while the other would fall apart if the footage is "delicate", but I agree, on a typical footage it's really difficult to visually see.
I'm sure on blind tests "who is who" style, more than one would be wrong.

The thing I noticed with the hacked GH2, is that on post, the room is a little more "friendly" if I might say, but as the base is 8 bits 4.2.0, the hack doesn't really do heavy miracles. It's critical to convert the AVCHD in a lossless editing format if layers or heavy grading is requiered. And the Hack doesn't change that fact.

The Red is really another planet with it's Raw because there inside RCX you play with the sliders and nothing falls apart. And the R3D are quite reasonably sized compared to what would be an equivalent in an uncompressed QT. I can't even imagine it.

In the end I de-hacked the higher bitrate because it ocupates huge space and didn't deliver to me the correspondant quality, and stayed with a 44 mb/s wich I found a good compromised between file-size and output quality.

Cheers.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:14:59 am »

HI Fred

the physical law/formula you are conforming here is  e=m·c2

The reason why the GH2 is not improving any further is you can only get out what you put in, so the sensor of the GH2 is not as good as the sensor of the Red,
no matter how much bitrate you throw at it. It will simply stop to improve further no matter how big your file will get.

my 2 cents
Greetings from Right now Wroclaw/Poland

Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

fredjeang

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:37:56 am »

Thanks for the E=MC2 reminder.

It's not exactly what you are describing after (the sensor reaching a top) that happens.

It actually improves. But more you increase the bitrate, more it proportionally costs to increase the quality. And see the files sizes how they also increase proportionaly. (of course as you point, it would reach a limit much before a Red One, where whatever you'll try to increment it won't change anything).

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:55:56 am by fredjeang »

dmerger

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

Neutrinos have been found to travel faster than the speed of light which no one thought was possible. But the CERN labs have shown it over and over to be true.

John, maybe, maybe not.  It appears that there is considerable skepticism about the results. 

"Professor Jim Al-Khalili, a physicist at University of Surrey, said that if the findings were proved to be correct, "I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV".  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8901001/Speed-of-light-broken-again-as-scientists-test-neutrino-result.html

Here are some other interesting links.

http://www.science20.com/quantum_diaries_survivor/icarus_refutes_operas_superluminal_neutrinos-83684
http://www.science20.com/quantum_gravity/blog/cerns_errors_are_consistent_they_are_still_wrong_superluminal_neutrinos_and_systematic_errors-84790
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=ftl-neutrinos
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2064191/Scientists-reject-startling-claims-speed-light-broken-second-time.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/23/physicists-speed-light-violated

Fred, Stefan's reference to e=mc2 was likely in response to your question: "If I remember (vagely) my physic's classes, I've learned that more an object moves fast, more it is necessary to increment a lot the energy in order to increase it's speed. If I remember well, it's because more an object moves fast, more it weights, so much more energy is requiered to keep going accelerating.
Am I right there ?" 

Dean Erger

Stefan.Steib

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 03:51:13 am »

"I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV"

:D  Yummy ! mmmmhhhhh.

If this is going to happen can someone please send me a reminder so I don´t miss it ?

And yes this was the reference.

About the basics. I think as soon as the sensor reaches the limit of what it reacts on (electrons readout noise limit) the specification of zero information
(Signal minus readout noise) will always give zero , no matter  at which bit depth.

Greetings from still Poland - (packing now - over and out)
Stefan

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:08:03 am »

sounds a bit like the inverse square law. works the same for light if the subject is twice as far away it's doesn't need twice the light to illuminate it but 4x.
(i'm also not a physics person ;D  )

I'm not sure if you are or you are not; going by your avatar, you're a beautiful one, Miss/Mrs Smith!

Rob C

fredjeang

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 06:40:36 am »

Well, I really hope Einstein was wrong. If the speed of light is actually the very limit we would never be able to cross, bad news indeed for the future generations. Because the speed of light within the cosmos dimensions is really really really slow.

If humanity has to conquer space, they'll have to find a way to travel way faster than the speed of light, otherwise we will be stucked on a dying overcrowded sphere.

maybe, the uncrossable bitrate limit for cameras is 300.000 mb/s ?

Just kidding...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:43:00 am by fredjeang »

MrSmith

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 07:11:29 am »

I'm not sure if you are or you are not; going by your avatar, you're a beautiful one, Miss/Mrs Smith!

Rob C

sorry to disappoint but that's not me.
i'm 'middle aged', slim, bald but still got my own teeth. (and male)
 ;D

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »

sorry to disappoint but that's not me.
i'm 'middle aged', slim, bald but still got my own teeth. (and male)
 ;D

Oh well, better than a list of cameras and lenses...

;-(

Rob C

Stefan.Steib

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:11:13 am »

here is the perfect explanation of the travel faster than speed of light by Douglas Adams - from "Mostly Harmless" - part 5 of the HHGTTG

...........   The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
         One of the problems has to do with the speed of light and the difficulties involved in trying to exceed it. You can't. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. The Hingefreel people of Arkintoofle Minor did try to build spaceships that were powered by bad news but they didn't work particularly well and were so extremely unwelcome whenever they arrived anywhere that there wasn't really any point in being there.
         So, by and large, the peoples of the Galaxy tended to languish in their own local muddles and the history of the Galaxy itself was, for a long time, largely cosmological.......

:)

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

fredjeang

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 09:47:18 am »

here is the perfect explanation of the travel faster than speed of light by Douglas Adams - from "Mostly Harmless" - part 5 of the HHGTTG

...........   The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
         One of the problems has to do with the speed of light and the difficulties involved in trying to exceed it. You can't. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. The Hingefreel people of Arkintoofle Minor did try to build spaceships that were powered by bad news but they didn't work particularly well and were so extremely unwelcome whenever they arrived anywhere that there wasn't really any point in being there.
         So, by and large, the peoples of the Galaxy tended to languish in their own local muddles and the history of the Galaxy itself was, for a long time, largely cosmological.......

:)

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Stefan,

I really love the HCam design. Nota: I power my monitors with the same Sony NP batteries, they last forever.

Such a design for a motion camera would be a killer. I like the simplicity (undistracting), the germanic robustness, the buttons designs and the overall look.

Do you have plans to embrasse motion or convergence for the future?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:55:50 am by fredjeang »

ondebanks

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »

Do you have plans to embrasse motion or convergence for the future?

I think it's not up to Stefan to give us "motion" - it's up to the people making the backs that attach to the HCam.

Anyway. Fred, I have no idea why you have that issue with the GH2 - video tech ain't my thing.

But I do of course recognise the physics analogy that you were reminded of.  Your memory is pretty accurate. It's an implication of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity (the 3rd of his 1905 "Annus Mirabilis" papers).
The e=m·c^2 (energy-mass equivalence) equation is derived from this, but came separately, in his 4th paper of that year.

Ray

fredjeang

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 01:19:46 pm »

I think it's not up to Stefan to give us "motion" - it's up to the people making the backs that attach to the HCam.

Anyway. Fred, I have no idea why you have that issue with the GH2 - video tech ain't my thing.

But I do of course recognise the physics analogy that you were reminded of.  Your memory is pretty accurate. It's an implication of Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity (the 3rd of his 1905 "Annus Mirabilis" papers).
The e=m·c^2 (energy-mass equivalence) equation is derived from this, but came separately, in his 4th paper of that year.

Ray

Yes, that's correct.

But those Hcams are fantastically designed, and I'm sure the built quality is there. I like this metal brick with nothing but the necessary and the modular idea.
I truly see a camera of this style and this size with converegence capabilities.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:44:45 pm by fredjeang »

Stefan.Steib

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 01:58:51 pm »

Fred

It always was and still is my purpose to have a future HCam-B3 version a full modular photo/video device.
Of course we need help from the back makers. As I have said before : either Phase/Leaf and Hasselblad take up the fight against Red, Arri and now Canon and become highres
multimedia device makers or they will disappear. It is the only logical way to go.

And: It is not a goal to get even higher resolutions way over 100 Mpix. The next goal is 8k video(33 Mpix). Whoever wins with a device that has a reasonable cost will dominate this market. Red knows this. I only doubt if Phase and Hasselblad know it. They still think they can survive as "Photo Only" companies.

Regards
Stefan

MrSmith

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »

it's going to be 120-160 megapixel backs next. it's the only way the poor high iso performance can be negated shoot at 400-800 and then downsize to a usable 40-50mp to get rid of the noise.   ::)

Stefan.Steib

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 02:24:31 pm »

Follow up:

we are actually already doing "some film now" look here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HCamde/122001131245665

with the help of Patryk Kisny/Wroclaw Poland and Yair Shahar of Leaf (looking into modifying leaf backs for this)  we are into Full dome highres  timelapse tests now with the HCam and the Canon 8-15mm Fisheye for circular recording and later defishing or  dome projection.
We have shot runs with about 500 images in a row each on the weekend. Results are pretty amazing. Leafs backs keep up and yes this I think is the future !  :)
Probably soon to be seen on

http://www.facebook.com/LookyCreative

Regards
Stefan

fredjeang

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 03:25:31 pm »

hey...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up