Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you get the same quality as this Large Format rig by stitching MF?  (Read 5825 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Can you get the same quality as this Large Format rig by stitching MF?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 03:28:46 am »

;-) Yes definitively! You always need to read the fine print ;-)

BR
Erik

I may be wrong but I think you guys have fallen into Edmund snares :)
Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 12:09:54 am »

Hi Bernard - are you referring to the "Align to grid" feature? I've used that in the past on small panos in PTGui. For ones of this size, PTGui's stitching speed - at least in my experience - is orders of magnitude slower than APG.

Pt gui is for sure a bit slower, but isn't user operation time much more impacting than number crunching time?

I have found that align to grid feature to put pt gui in a class of its own for most cases where manual points creation would otherwise be required. But it is of course not a universal solution for all use cases so I am not sure whether it would have helped with your pano.

Cheers,
Bernard

gerald.d

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 07:08:02 am »

Pt gui is for sure a bit slower, but isn't user operation time much more impacting than number crunching time?

I have found that align to grid feature to put pt gui in a class of its own for most cases where manual points creation would otherwise be required. But it is of course not a universal solution for all use cases so I am not sure whether it would have helped with your pano.

Cheers,
Bernard
My Seitz VR Drive generates a Papywizard compatible XML file that APG uses to place the images in the correct locations, in the same way that Align to Grid works in PTGui. However the pitch, roll, and yaw coordinates alone are nowhere near accurate enough to place images without control points for this pano as it was shot with a 300mm lens on a 1.3 crop sensor.

Anyway, I think we should probably leave it at that as we have dragged this poor thread massively off-subject :)

Regards,

Gerald.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up