Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any rumors about an upcoming Epson 3900?  (Read 16422 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Any rumors about an upcoming Epson 3900?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:44:25 pm »

It seems logical that Epson would follow the same pattern as with the 4000, 7000 and 9000 series and produce a 3900 with the same 12 ink set, but does anyone know if this is in the works?  I have a 3880, with which I am completely happy, but a friend is thinking of getting one and wants to know if an upgrade will be coming soon.

Rob

Randy Carone

Re: Any rumors about an upcoming Epson 3900?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:32:01 pm »

No info on an upgrade for the 3880. Keep in mind that Epson's latest printer is the X890 series in 24" and 44". These printers have the same inkset as the 3880 and the 11880, both of which yield spectacular photo images. The X900 series in 24" and 44" have the Orange and Green inks added that yield the color gamut and spot color needs (with the use of a RIP and Spectro) of the proofing industry. Photographers are very happy with the output of the 9-color inkset (PK & MK) that is used in the 3880, 7890, 9890 and 11880. Another reason they may leave the 3880 as it is for a while is that Epson already offers a proofing solution in a 17" model with the 4900, which has the optional RIP and Spectrophotometer for proofing requirements.
Another 17" printer with the hexachrome inkset would be redundant.
Randy Carone

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »

Just to add to what Randy mentioned, it would be challenging to get the two additional colors as well as other options (such as the spectro) into a chassis small enough to be helpful. It was surprising they managed it with a 4900.  Since the 4900 is a 17" printer, and a potential 3900 would probably have to be much larger, seems the current two options (3880 or 4900) sort of cover things pretty well for Epson.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:40:48 am »

I love my 3880, and there are very few things that would make the printer better, IMHO. Some quick thoughts:

* vacuum to hold paper flat would be nice. I often get small smudges on the bottom corners
* more capacity for the automatic sheet feeder

That's about it, actually. WiFi and other features that are in the R3000 just don't matter to me, just to use another printer as a comparison.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:46 pm »

So, the speculation here is that the 3880 is the end of the line for the 3000 series.  That's too bad, because the 3800 and 3880 offer professional level printing quality in a package small enough to fit in a relatively small space.  I know that I could not fit a 4900 in my workspace and would have to make significant modifications if I really wanted or needed that printer.  Fortunately, the 3880 is currently providing all that I require at this point in time.  Hopefully, it will continue to function properly and be supported by Epson for many years to come.

Rob

howardm

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »

maybe Epson (w/ the 3000) and Canon (w/ the Pro-1) figured out that entry level printers w/ big carts is hazardous to their profit ;)

I hope it's not the 'end of the line' but perhaps something we're not envisioning.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »

Ya' want rumors?  Did I hear somewhere that the 3900 will have a system to automatically recycle head-cleaning ink directly back into the cartridges?  And that all future Epsons will no longer have Maintenance Tanks because of this?  And that there will be a cheap, user-installable kit to retrofit this feature on all previous Epson wide format printers?  Could be wrong about this...

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:11:57 pm »

Ya' want rumors?  Did I hear somewhere that the 3900 will have a system to automatically recycle head-cleaning ink directly back into the cartridges?  And that all future Epsons will no longer have Maintenance Tanks because of this?  And that there will be a cheap, user-installable kit to retrofit this feature on all previous Epson wide format printers?  Could be wrong about this...
That is quite the rumor ... of course your "dig" against Epson coming from a Canon user doesn't apply to the 3880/potential 3900 which this thread is about, since they rarely clog and most never see a second maintenance tank.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:38:26 pm »

I'm still a happy 9880 user, too!  Can't beat that stiff-media feed path.  But there are times...

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:35 am »

I think Epson will announce the 3900 next week. I just picked up a new 3880.  ;D

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:41 am »

I think Epson will announce the 3900 next week. I just picked up a new 3880.  ;D

Ronny
Even if they do, you have bought a great printer which is very free of any troubles (I've not had a bad nozzle check in the 21 months I have owned it and I often forget to even do a check because of this).  Happy printing!

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »

I´m sure the printer will work out OK. And I´m not worried about Epson releasing a new printer. I got this one in a sale that included mirage 1.6 sw and a large Dahle paper cutter for the same price as what the 3880 normally sells for. I have done my homework, my old HP 9180 died, and I´m not buying a HP again. I wanted a reliable desktop printer, and the 3880 seem to be the best.

Ronny
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:32:14 am »

I'm curious how do you all handle swapping the inks between matte & glossy.

That is (was) my biggest worry, the very great printer with such an issue.

I don't care about the new inks as far this is sorted out (hell yeah, change the chassis).

No rumors, just a personal hope it is coming for Photokina this year.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:20:30 am »

I'm curious how do you all handle swapping the inks between matte & glossy.

That is (was) my biggest worry, the very great printer with such an issue.

I don't care about the new inks as far this is sorted out (hell yeah, change the chassis).

No rumors, just a personal hope it is coming for Photokina this year.
I don't understand your issue here.  On the 3880 swapping ink is done either on the printer control panel or through the software driver when you pick the paper.  I don't like the software implementation since the default is Epson Luster which uses PK ink.  If you happen to have been printing on matte paper the previous day and turn your printer on it will do an ink swap IF you don't double check the driver setting (of course if you have presets in LR that will address the problem).  I don't find that there is a lot of ink lost during the switching process and I do print on both matte and gloss papers but try to do print runs in a way that I'm not doing constant switching.  this is one thing you really don't have to worry about except for the issue I noted.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:32:51 am »

At the time I had my 3800 I clearly felt the limitation, experimenting was down to minimum. It was even not that much about the cost but time taken for a roundtrip. I guess nobody objects the idea of having this sorted out?

I don't understand your issue here.  On the 3880 swapping ink is done either on the printer control panel or through the software driver when you pick the paper.  I don't like the software implementation since the default is Epson Luster which uses PK ink.  If you happen to have been printing on matte paper the previous day and turn your printer on it will do an ink swap IF you don't double check the driver setting (of course if you have presets in LR that will address the problem).  I don't find that there is a lot of ink lost during the switching process and I do print on both matte and gloss papers but try to do print runs in a way that I'm not doing constant switching.  this is one thing you really don't have to worry about except for the issue I noted.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 02:27:07 pm »

At the time I had my 3800 I clearly felt the limitation, experimenting was down to minimum. It was even not that much about the cost but time taken for a roundtrip. I guess nobody objects the idea of having this sorted out?

Personally I don't have a problem with it, because I just hardly ever use MK ink anymore.  I sell very little MK ink through my store, most users seem to just stick with PK.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 03:15:26 pm »

I've not found any practical issues switching between the two ink types (it does take a few minutes, but relatively trouble-free).  The main thing is to do "runs" of prints on the same media type so you don't have to switch frequently between the two. 
Eric Chan

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

Let's boil the conversation down a little bit. But a printer when you need it, not when you think something will be announced. You might be waiting for quite a while. The 3880 is an excellent printer that will not hinder the quality of your prints.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up