Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Pro 3880 - original inks or compatible?  (Read 7202 times)

feethea

Epson Pro 3880 - original inks or compatible?
« on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:34 am »

I've had the printer from new and the photo black is now flashing low. The cost of a single Epson cartridge in the UK is around GBP46 delivered, and even if I buy a full set of nine the average cost only comes down by around 10%.

So I've been looking at compatible options, cost-wise, but I'm wary of the quality and image reproduction compared to using Epson inks.

Anyone had experience of using both in a 3880? Any help would be much appreciated.

Barry

irvweiner

Re: Epson Pro 3880 - original inks or compatible?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »

Please start by reading the postings on thus site and and dpreview and the inkjet forum. you will find a list of reliable vendors, how-to-do and several videos. Everything you need or want to know has been published many many times.

I use the refillable system from inkjetcarts and their supplied inks. Identical carts are supplied by 2-3 other reliable vendors. Quality inks are supplied by 3-4 other vendors and you can select which you prefer. In addition Jon Cone supplies ink for B&W fine art and 'normal' color work.

Inkjetcarts will ship anywhere on this planet!

"So I've been looking at compatible options, cost-wise, but I'm wary of the quality and image reproduction compared to using Epson inks."
Problem gone now, my ink refill costs for the refillable carts are ~$9/80 ml refill in the US--shpg will increase  your cost somewhat. Print quality is great, yes, I profile everything.

good luck   irv weiner

feethea

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:44:44 am »

Irv,

Many thanks for your reply. I will take a good look on the various forums as you suggest.

Barry

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:58:24 am »

Barry

You do not say how long you have had your printer, but I infer that you may not be a heavy user.  If that is the case, is it really worth messing around with 3rd party inks on such an expensive printer?  The cost of the ink in relation to the printer cost may not be that high.  If however you are going to be changing cartridges on a weekly basis it is a different story.

Jim

feethea

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:35 am »

Jim,

Good point and thank you for your time. The printer is just over 12 months old and I have for the past 6 years been a very light user due to family health issues. Things have resolved and now I am looking to build up my work and have started a part-time course which will lead to an exemption for the first qualification with the Royal Photographic Society. I guess I will have to monitor how much printing I'll be doing and do a comparison of original versus third party - my initial thoughts are to stay with the originals as I have done with all the printers I've owned.

Thanks again,

Barry

mshea

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:41:50 pm »

I've been using Inkjetmall inks on my 3880 for over a year now and I have no complaints. I've had a few problems, mostly due to my own errors, and their customer support has been top-notch. I echo Irv's comments: make sure you profile everything, especially if you do any B&W work. Otherwise, color castes will be a problem.

Merrill

drwillie

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:06 am »

I, too, have been using Inkjetmall.com (Cone Color Inks) for several years with Epson 3800's with no adverse effects using the refillable cartridges.  The savings are substantial and the quality is great, too!
 :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up