Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carbon tripod & head combo other than Gitzo & RRS?  (Read 3308 times)

oceanrhythms

Carbon tripod & head combo other than Gitzo & RRS?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:04 am »

I need to upgrade my tripod situation.  The support ratings seem to be market speak so I look to you for your advice.  It's been years since I have looked at upgrading so I am fishing in the dark. My rig is currently a Canon 1D Mark 4 with a soon to be arriving 400mm 2.8 lens.  I plan to use this lens with a 1.4 teleconverter.  From when I posted my last question and the reading I have done, everybody pretty much says buy a Gitzo, RRS or something else that's really expensive......super high quality.  Those tripods are just not something I have the money for.

My question is which is the best carbon fiber tripod and head for my money?  Something under $400 for a tripod and something under $300 for the ball head.  The ones I am considering at this point are Manfrotto, Induro and Feisol.  For the head I need something I can remove (unlike RRS) to attach a gimbal head.  

I would prefer to buy something used, but finding something to fit my needs is hard to come by.

Anybody have any experience with Induro gimbal heads?

Thanks for your help!

John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:41:00 am by oceanrhythms »

Sheldon N

Re: Carbon tripod & head combo other than Gitzo & RRS?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:10 am »

Look at one of the older series Gitzo carbon fiber tripods. You should be able to find a Gitzo 1325 within your budget, and it's a great set of legs. I've used mine with large format, medium format, and Canon lenses up to 600mm.

I use a Markins M20 ballhead, which might fall within your budget used. Not sure about compatibility with gimbal heads though.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

oceanrhythms

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:49 am »

Nice Sheldon!  I will see if I can track down an older Gitzo and a Markins M20.

Thanks!
John

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:41:50 am »

A modern Gitzo is a Manfrotto, they bought the company a few years ago and everything is made in Italy now. The Calumet branded carbon fiber tripods are designed and made by Manfrotto. Induro and Benro are knock offs of Gitzo, they're made in China and they're good tripods.

So check them all out in a store if you can, get a feel for what you like and then hit ebay.

The Acratech Ultimate Ball head is a great head and under $300.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:24 am »

Hi,

I'd also mention Velbon Sherpa Pro, I have the 630 CF version. I have also used the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead and would recommend it, but with some reservations.

I had Velbon, Manfrotto, Gitzo and lot of different heads. I have not tested Benro and Induro.

Best regards
Erik

A modern Gitzo is a Manfrotto, they bought the company a few years ago and everything is made in Italy now. The Calumet branded carbon fiber tripods are designed and made by Manfrotto. Induro and Benro are knock offs of Gitzo, they're made in China and they're good tripods.

So check them all out in a store if you can, get a feel for what you like and then hit ebay.

The Acratech Ultimate Ball head is a great head and under $300.
Erik Kaffehr

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:33 pm »

Each of us has a list of the features we need in a tripod/head combination.  And few of our lists are the same.  All I can add is to figure out exactly what you need now and may need in the future, then purchase the absolute best you can possibly afford.  So many of us have purchased numerous 'pods and heads over the years.  It sure would have been better to avoid the frequent "buying up" by getting the best to start with.  A tripod should outlast many cameras and a few lenses, so it is really false economy to settle for less than you may need.  Also, check out Thom Hogan's article on supports...http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 12:40:44 pm by soberle »

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 02:07:35 pm »

I'll put a plug in for my current tripod, the Manfrotto 055CXPRO3. I'm really happy with it.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »

Lots of legs will suffice.

With regard to the head for the 400mm f2.8 my recommendation is the Wimberley gimbal head.
I own other gimbal heads but none stack up in actual use and convenience.
As said lots of carbon fibre legs from Manfrotto, Induro, or Gitzo will do an excellent job with this head and lens.
I use the Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre version with the Wimberley head. 500mm f4.0 on this combination and it gives brilliant support. Often use this lens in combination with a 1.4 teleconverter as well.

In summary the other gimbal heads were a waste of money sad to say.

My $0.02 worth

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up