Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good reliable printer for 8x10  (Read 3902 times)

jalcocer

Good reliable printer for 8x10
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

Hi all, I'm looking for a trusty realiable printer to use in 8x10, at the moment that's the biggest format I want to print so I would like to know if any of you can recommend something for that job. I really don't think I'll go for something bigger, but if you think I may need something like a 13" I would also appreciate to point me to some options.

I'm more inclined to hp, hope that helps to narrow the options.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: Good reliable printer for 8x10
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:16 pm »

When somebody makes a "all I need" post like that here we have to suspect that they have the printer bug, but are in denial!  Yes, you need at least a 13" wide, if you buy something smaller you would almost immediately wish you have something bigger, it's a well-known syndrome.  If you like HP, go for whatever their 13" top of the line is.

Or to save some intermediate steps, go directly to something like this highly regarded 17" wide lovely.  It has a $300 rebate through the end of January.  Gorgeous output and a very solid, trouble-free machine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649771-REG/Epson_CA61201_VM_Stylus_Pro_3880_Large_Format.html  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:00:03 pm by bill t. »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »

+1 to BillT's suggestion.  3880 is rocksolid and you have the flexibility of going beyond 8x10 (which you undoubtedly will after the first print comes out.

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »

There are other places to buy an Epson printer. Not bashing B & H. Just sayin...   ;)
Randy Carone

jalcocer

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:15:03 pm »

When somebody makes a "all I need" post like that here we have to suspect that they have the printer bug, but are in denial!  Yes, you need at least a 13" wide, if you buy something smaller you would almost immediately wish you have something bigger, it's a well-known syndrome.  If you like HP, go for whatever their 13" top of the line is.

Or to save some intermediate steps, go directly to something like this highly regarded 17" wide lovely.  It has a $300 rebate through the end of January.  Gorgeous output and a very solid, trouble-free machine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649771-REG/Epson_CA61201_VM_Stylus_Pro_3880_Large_Format.html 

That one from the link seems nice, I'll look into it and search for some 13" models, let you know as soon as I have some choices to get your opinion.

Thanks

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:06:15 pm »

I would definitely shop around other locations besides B&H, they're often more expensive than other reputable places. Try www.atlex.com, www.itsupplies.com, www.colorhq.com, and of course www.shadesofpaper.com. Don't want Randy to feel left out :)

Another printer option to consider is the Canon Pixma Pro 9500 Mark II. It only goes up to 13x19" but is so cheap when it's available with rebate that it's almost throwaway. You can use it, enjoy learning how to print, and then if you really want to go bigger someday get something larger. Takes up a lot less space than the 3880 too!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

KeithR

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:46:29 pm »

I'll have to go along with Bill & Alan on a 17 inch printer. Once you get the incentive to print and see that first print come out, you want to go bigger(think 16x20). Another plus for the 17 wide is that you can do multiples of 8x10- if you want to stay with that size. Or a small pano-like 8x20. another point is in a wide formate printer, the ink carts hold more ink so the cost/print is a bit lower. Let's face it, an 8x10 printer is so limiting...
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:07 pm »

Yes, as far as I know Epson does not make different qualities of the same printer for different suppliers, so one's as good as the other.  I chose the B&H page because it showed the rebate so clearly, and because they are safe to recommend.

Yeah, there are lots of great printers out there for dirt cheap, and they can all deliver reasonably decent prints if you treat them right.  Of course at the bottom it's a "hey kid, the first one's free" kind of deal...low cost printer to get you hooked on high priced cartridges.  Actually, not just at the low end!  So if you wanted to get quantitative it might be useful to see what the relative dollar/milliliter cost was for the particular cartridge set for a particular printer.  Prepare for sticker shock.

Also, you want to investigate if the printer you choose has printing profiles available for the papers you want to use.  That's a biggy.  I believe many of the very cheapest printers may be somewhat profiled-printing challenged.

jalcocer

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

I've found a Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II on $430 with one of my suppliers here in Mexico, is that a good choice? Needs to be ordered to the manufacturer but still available to buy.

David White

• http://
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:27 pm »

That printer has a dye-based ink system.  If you care about longevity you want to get something that uses pigment inks.
David White

jalcocer

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »

Ok, good point, I'll look for that in the specs of the printers I'll see

irvweiner

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »

Let me add adorama.com for the 3880---$300 rebate til the 31st plus free shipping. A no hassle store like B&H and a few others. Check for any printer you decide on.

irv weiner

jalcocer

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

I'm still searching, it is not easy and my budget doesn't get higher, after some math I don't think I can go for anything over 13", which for what I need at the moment is plenty.

Found some 13" epsons, to be more specific these three R2000, R3000, and R2880, the R3000 being bit over the top of my budget, checked out the 3880 but it is way over what I planned to spent and at the moment is also way more of what I'm needing.

What do you think of those three?? are those ok enough choices??

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »

if all you really need is 8x10's I'd consider outsourcing with MillersLab (or Mpix) or WHCC - when you buy the printer you're gaining paper choice and output control AND on those smaller printers you're gaining unbelievable ink waste, the constant need to have on hand 9-12 ink tanks and a huge investment in time.
If you want to explore media and sizing options then for sure get a printer. I couldn't be happier with the switch to Canon and the 9500 is a truly lovely and easy to use printer. Whatever you get, make sure it's not using dye based inks.
If you are looking for a cheaper way to produce 8x10's and only want a photo paper style 8x10 it will be far cheaper to order those online.

jalcocer

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 07:24:57 pm »

I'm interested because I'm planning to start my own business and invest in some lights and other equipment, being the printer one of those, and here in my city most photographers manage at the most 8x10" themselves, and get something bigger by request and printed in local labs, I really don't know how much cost-benefit would get from a 17" since I'm just about to start, maybe I can go with something of nice print quality in a smaller format and send the bigger ones to the lab, so I can start saving from my work and later go for a 3880 or something like that. My budget for printer is no more than 600 that's why I took these models into account, there is a cheaper one the stylus photo 1410, I checked and manages 13" prints, and the ink is not dye, and the cartdriges are relatively not that expensive.

Maybe I'm going the wrong way, since I'm new into this printing photos thing, been working with computers and printers for years, but mostly home and business related, so I'm not that familiar with how many cartdridges is good and make a good printing or what, the last one I mention uses 6 colors, I know those are two more (magenta and cyan light) but is it good enough for starting? I see printers like the r2000 and r3000 using 8 cartdridges.

Thanks again and please excuse me for my poor knowledge about printing!

jtoolman

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 08:15:31 pm »

That's very expensice. Check Ebay! You can get them for $150

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 01:47:16 am »

here in my city most photographers manage at the most 8x10" themselves, and get something bigger by request and printed in local labs,

that is exactly opposite of what I would recommend and what I do. I can print an 8x10 for close to $2 or outsource it for 2.5. I can outsource a 20x30 for $90 or print it for $15. There is so much less money to be made by insourcing the little prints when you factor in all of the time that goes into them.

If you are just starting and dollars are tight, spend the $ on good glass and perfecting your craft. When you reach a point that the volume or quality demands a printer then get one. when you're starting there's too much else to do with your time. Whichever way you go, when you're starting make sure you understand the cost per print and bill for it. Whether you make them yourself or have someone else do it, make sure you've accounted for the total cost of the print (machine, time, text prints, paper, ink, wasted ink, finishing supplies and tools).
Pages: [1]   Go Up