Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom & Hasselblad  (Read 2673 times)

petermarrek

Lightroom & Hasselblad
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:29:35 pm »

As a new owner of an H3D-39, I was really pleased to find that Lightroom now accepts LR3 files. A bit like molasses on a cold morning even with an SSD in my laptop, life is very good. Any tips re: workflow would be greatly appreciated. Peter

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Lightroom & Hasselblad
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »

As a new owner of an H3D-39, I was really pleased to find that Lightroom now accepts LR3 files. A bit like molasses on a cold morning even with an SSD in my laptop, life is very good. Any tips re: workflow would be greatly appreciated. Peter

Peter

Do you mean 3FR files?

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

petermarrek

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 11:51:31 am »

3FR is correct, still having trouble typing, Peter

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:17:19 pm »

Lightroom has read up Hasselblad 3FR raw files for quite some time, Peter, certainly since LR 2.6 at least. It's always done a nice job on them, too, but now in 3.5 etc there are lens profiles for the H-Series lenses as well.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

pflower

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:38 am »

I never liked the way that earlier versions of LR handled 3FR files - particularly those with saturated colours.  Reds in particular were all over the place and so Phocus did a much better job.  I did create a custom profile with Colorchecker which helped. The most recent versions of LR has greatly improved the camera profile and 3FR files with Camera Standard now are very good.

LR3.6 also reads 3fff files.  My understanding is LR now uses the same process engine (if that is the right expression) as Phocus.  So the question is whether or not there is any advantage to processing 3FR files in Phocus to 3fff files and then importing those into LR as opposed to just importing 3FR files into LR.  I raised this in another thread but David Grover never produced a definitive answer.  My own tests show that there is a small and subtle difference between 3FR files imported directly into LR with the Camera Standard profile engaged and 3fff files with the same profile.  If you are doing product shots or copying artwork where absolute colour accuracy is essential then this might be worth exploring.  However I find that it is very difficult to tell the difference between 3FR and 3fff files in LR 3.6.

So unless there is some adjustment that you particularly need in Phocus I find just using 3FR files to be more than adequate.

Pages: [1]   Go Up