Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updated Bibliography  (Read 1233 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Updated Bibliography
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

For whatever it's worth, here's a link to my upated annotated bibliography that I use when I lecture on the history of photography. I added some of the books I keep down here in Florida instead of at home in Colorado. I try to update the bib at least once a year.

http://www.pkinfo.com/Bib/Bib.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:39:46 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: Updated Bibliography
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 04:46:15 am »

Annie Leibovitz A Photographer's Life 1990 - 2005

"Annie Leibovitz, 2009

Annie Leibovitz is a very fine photographer, but it seems to me that too much of her fame is based on her more outlandish work rather than the less extravagant, more classic work she does so well. The glaring flaw in this book is that a large part of it is personal reminiscence on her long relationship with Susan Sontag, and the decline of Susan as she approached death from lukemia."

This book represents one of the rare mistakes I have made in the process of buying books. I bought it on the strength of the docu. (much of it about the making of this book) her sister made of her which, by contrast, was quite worth watching, as I have, many times. You tell the 'glaring flaw' very accurately!

One problem with your great list is this: no reference numbers! They could help anyone trying/wishing to buy the same book(s).

I envy you your shelf-space; I don't envisage cardboard boxes!

Thanks -

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:45:39 am »

Rob, One problem with trying to come up with the numbers is that in recent books you can't find the damned ISBN's. In Leibovitz's book you can't even find a page with a copyright notice. So I didn't even try to do the kind of bibliography I learned to do in high school. On the other hand, "modernity" isn't all bad. You can look this stuff up in a heartbeat on Google, so I sort of left it at that.

It takes a lot of shelf space, but I've been collecting photo books since the fifties. In the sixties we had a wonderful used bookstore in Colorado Springs, with an elderly German proprietor who really knew his rare books and had an eye for photography books. I used to drop into his shop almost daily so I could grab his bargain photo books before somebody else got there.

It all keeps getting more and more expensive, though a lot of the price increases are due to the runaway debasement of the dollar being carried out by my government. The head of the Fed claims there's no inflation, which simply tells me he's not the family member who buys things like groceries. I have two copies of Bystander -- a hardcopy in Colorado and a paperback in Florida. About four years ago I paid about $20 for my second, used, paperback copy. Amazon tells me that paperback is now going for $150 new, and $80.56 used.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »

Hi Russ

I was surprised to discover that the Annie book that I have doesn't show the editorial info. until the very last printed page!

What it shows there, is this:

ISBN: 978-84-9785-554-9
© 2006 Random House
Spanish Edition: 2009 Lunwerg, S.I.

I once tried to get stuff ordered through Waterstone's, a big UK retailer, with the thought that family could bring it out when coming my way (Amazon's very expensive for deliveries), and the first thing they told me on learning that I was dealing from Spain, was that they only handled English language books... I guess they are afraid of getting stuck with something, though I did offer to pay via card in advance, and anyway, I was wanting English versions of books!

I then found a local guy, a Frenchman, who ran a good bookshop in Pollensa, highly stocked on photographic tomes of the coffee table variety, which suited me to the ground... he had to close after a few years. Guess nobody reads (or even just looks!) anymore.

Sad times.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up