Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, can it be easily mounted on a Sony NEX-7?  (Read 8885 times)

highsierran

Can the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 be easily mounted on a Sony NEX-7?  I noticed that Michael had mentioned the Voigtlander 12mm as a good match for the NEX line but the light fall-off and magenta cast in the corners does not seem to be as great an issue with the 15mm as with the 12mm; though obviously you give up a lot of FOV.

It appears that the lens needs an adapter just to mount it to Leicas.  Does that mean you have to use a Leica M adapter mated to a Novaflex or Metabones M adapter as well?  In other words, is it necessary to use 2 adapters at the same time or can this be done with another single adapter of some sort?  Is it even a possible/good match with the NEX-7?  Looking for ultimate image quality in a suitably small form factor.  Anyone with experience with this please help?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:00:04 am by highsierran »

AndreasSchmidt

• http://
Re: Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5, can it be easily mounted on a Sony NEX-7?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

My CV15 is M39, so I need 2 adapters: M39 to Leica M and second Leica M to NEX. It's a bit older - the actual lens is directly with M-bajonett, so only one adapter needed.

My M39-adapter still on delivery, so I don't know about light falloff and color cast (though up to now I have the 5N, were I expect no problems there). I will meet some friends on 28th, testing with -7 is planned  ;D

Andreas

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:36:04 pm »

The CV 15 cames in two different mounts for Leica: M mount and screw mount. The screw mount requires an adapter. Available from Stephen Gandy @ Camera Quest.

stever

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »

Sean Reid has recently reviewed the CV15 on NEX-5N and Ricoh.  Lloyd Chambers has tested a number of Leica and a few Zeiss lenses with the 7 and discusses which lenses are likely to have more series issues with edge softness and color shift.  Both Reid Reviews and Lloyd's DAP are both worth the subscription if you're looking at spending time and money combining rangefinder lenses with NEX cameras.

i won't be giving away the plot to suggest that the CV15 has color shift and edge sharpness issues, the seriousness of which depends on the use.

highsierran

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:36 pm »

All of these replies have been most helpful and informative and exactly what I needed to know!  I will look into the other blogs that were mentioned.  Thank you all so very much for all your help! ;D

rickk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:06 am »

For what it is worth, I've had very sharp results so far with the CV 15mm on a NEX-7. For this particular field of view, this lens produces results as good as any other lens and camera combo that I had tried. Fine detail is rendered with remarkable clarity across the image. Others have observed a marked drop in sharpness as the edges are approached. My particular copy seems to be much better than those other lenses tested. The results from this one easily make the extra processing with Cornerfix (to remove the magenta cast and vignetting) worthwhile. My copy happens to be one of the older Leica-thread (M39) mount versions. Adapters are readily available. If you go this route, may you find an excellent copy.

Regards,    Rick

technomagus

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:02 pm »

I've been using my CV15mm (M Mount) on my NEX-5 for some months, using Cornerfix - the main issue being that using CF does raise noise levels in the corners because of the EV dropoff it's trying to compensate. I ran a couple of test shots using the 5n and it appears much, much better. I've also just received my NEX-7 - haven't shot the compensation images yet but it appears to be a tad better than the 5 but definitely not as good as the 5n. I almost wish they'd used the 5n sensor in the 7...
Pages: [1]   Go Up