Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phase one(mamiya) close_up extension rings  (Read 7170 times)

studio347

phase one(mamiya) close_up extension rings
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:54:33 am »

Hi,
Could you guys share the experience with the extension rings for phase one lenses?
How good is the image quality compared with the dedicated Macro lens like.. new 120mm AF Macro?

For an example, if I shoot 1 : 2 or 1: 4 macro still life pictures, what would be the image quality( sharpness and..) difference between using 80 mm LS with extension ring(s) and using the new 120 mm AF Macro lens?

I'm guessing that the dedicated Macro lens might give better image quality. But I wonder if the normal lens plus extension ring is good(close) enough....

Thanks!

Pics2

Re: phase one(mamiya) close_up extension rings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:59:04 am »

I can only tell you about the set up in general, since I  use it on my Canon 35mm FF camera. I had only one problem - I can't close the aperture enough. For example, I use Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.4 lens designed for other purposes with the smallest aperture of f16 with extension tube of 25mm, the depth of field is just too shallow. On the other hand, Canon 100mm macro lens is f32.
There is a great article here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm
Sorry, no real life experience with Phase One and Mamiya :-[

studio347

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:33:11 pm »

thanks for the link and reply!

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:00 pm »

I assume they would preform very nicely with the 120mm macro AF. I have used this lens and it is top notch. My only comment would be using extension tubes would allow you to have different focal lengths with close focus versus a dedicated prime macro lens with one focal length and one field of view...
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

gazwas

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:16 am »

I'd be really interested in this also.

I'm looking at buying the Phase 120mm f4 MF macro but keep wondering how good the 150mm F2.8 (Phases sharpest lens) with extension rings would be?
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:35 am »

I own the 120mm MF. And it's a great lens. If you look back on my Flickr, there are some sample images using it for macro work.
I suspect with the 2.8 there will be some loss of quality. Especially because of how sharp it is. What kind of work are you doing?

~Update~

I talk about it here - http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2012/01/14/phaseone-iq180-a-love-story/

and then here is a sample image I made with the lens and my IQ180 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianhirschfeldphotography/6455838771/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:29:18 am by Brian Hirchfeld »

gazwas

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:37:42 am »

I own the 120mm MF. And it's a great lens. If you look back on my Flickr, there are some sample images using it for macro work.
I suspect with the 2.8 there will be some loss of quality. Especially because of how sharp it is. What kind of work are you doing?

Thanks Brian, I will have a look at your examples.

I shoot a lot of table top products/lifestyles which is made up of a lot of ceramics.

I have shot the 120mm MF in the past and found it a very sharp lens but just wondered (as I can only afford one of them) if the 150mm would be more flexible lens (AF, faster) if when coupled with extension tubes it performs as well as the 120mm. However the minimum focus distance of 1m without tubes does worry me.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:41:15 am »

The 120mm f/4 MF is a great value especially if its tabletop where autofocus isn't ostensibly required. I think the 120mm f/4 AF is really what you would want. I am not a fan of adding extension tubes or teleconverters to anything (I own the Nikon 2x TC for my D3s and a like but only use it when I absolutely have to, and grudgingly). Putting more stuff between the sensor and the lens just adds more places to loose light and quality.

Now if you also did portraits or something else where the 150mm f/2.8 could be useful that would be another consideration...but it doesn't sound like it. 

gazwas

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:07:53 am »

I think the 120mm f/4 AF is really what you would want.

Yes, the 120mm AF macro does seem like the ideal option but while researching on the web I'd seen on a Phase dealers website that it is £1200 more ($1800 ish) than the MF version for pretty much optically the same lens which I find hard to justify.

As for portraits, I'd never shoot them on MFD and would much prefer to stick to my 1DsIII.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:09:56 am by gazwas »

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:09:32 am »

Yes, its more expensive, and it adds autofocus, I think I will buy this lens at some point soon, but the MF version works very well and frankly you can get the Mamiya versions as demo / old stock damn cheap as long as its the Mamiya 120mm f/4 Macro MF D its the same lens.

Personally, I only DONT use MFD if I'm doing available light and need more light then its D3s time.

studio347

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:34 pm »

I wonder if Phase one is making 120 mm Macro_LS(leaf shutter) soon. I heard that they are making 4 new LS lenses.... one is a zoom lens and another is a long lens....

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »

I use the MF120mm Macro with a P65+, but I'll also use the 210mm and 300mm lenses with extension rings if I want a tight head shot from a greater shooting distance. Are they as good as the 120mm macro? Maybe not quite, but the results are more than adequate, even at wide open apertures.

gazwas

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

I use the MF120mm Macro with a P65+, but I'll also use the 210mm and 300mm lenses with extension rings if I want a tight head shot from a greater shooting distance.

There lies my problem with the 120mm macro. While its a great focal length for macro photography its a bit short for some of my lifestyle product shots where it could exaggerate items closer to the camera making them appear much larger than items behind and where the slightly longer focal length of the 150mm is a nice medium.

I bought my Phase gear for wide angle photography via a tech camera but found I wanted to use it more and more so I've just bought a Phase camera body. Currently, most of my product work is shot on a Canon 1DsIII and 98% of the time a 90mm TS-E so the 150mm would be a good comparison. That coupled with the much brighter viewfinder of a f2.8 lens.

I don't know if my dealer will let me try lenses for a few days as its a lot of wasted money if it doesn't suit my work.

ondebanks

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:26:01 am »

Yes, its more expensive, and it adds autofocus, I think I will buy this lens at some point soon, but the MF version works very well and frankly you can get the Mamiya versions as demo / old stock damn cheap as long as its the Mamiya 120mm f/4 Macro MF D its the same lens.

Beware - this "AF" lens DOESN'T add autofocus. It only adds auto aperture control on the AF bodies. It's still a manual focus lens.

Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up