Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vine and Fence Beaverton 2012  (Read 1290 times)

Robert Brummitt

Vine and Fence Beaverton 2012
« on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »

I had taken my dog for our walk and found this. A fence with ivy growing thru and over it. I loved the light and subject I went home and came back with my camera.
I tried my new Nik software in production. The HDR Efex. I notice lots of noise so I may go back and try another way. Or should I buy Nik's D-fine software that reduces noise?

popnfresh

Re: Vine and Fence Beaverton 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »

I'm curious why, if as you said you loved the light, did you use an HDR effect on this photograph? HDR specifically homogenizes light, so any unique quality of the light would be lost.

Robert Brummitt

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »

I wanted to bring out the grain texture of the wood. So, I thought why not give HDR a try.
I've attached a Photoshop CS3 HDR. As you can see I got a broader range of wood grain. But, I also lost the noise.
My next step as you suggest is work with a straight file and then compare the three.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 05:20:42 pm »

Hi Armand,

I actually much prefer the second smother version. I think emphasising the grain in the wood too much, would detract the eye away from the ivy, which is your main compositional element I believe. I also think I would have shot the image straight on and parallel to the plane of focus, as opposed to leaning down on it slightly as I think you must have done, which would have also diminished the lens distortion effect you have created between the separate slats of wood.

Nice shot though and well worth going back for.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up