Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pride?  (Read 12457 times)

LoisWakeman

Re: Pride?
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 03:10:57 pm »

The short piece that I saw had him mention the iPAD and he said that at first he thought it a toy (rough paraphrasing here!) but that he was able to work out a great pallette and that he discovered it to be really usefull.

I've never seen one of these delights in the flesh, as it were, and I wondered if it's something like one of those Waco/ Wacom? tablet things you can use to do Photoshop with instead of working via a mouse?

He made reference to doing all his own work - I wonder if he was having a go at Messrs. Hirst and Koons...

And why not!

Rob C

Nor have I - but it was interesting watching him. I think it removes one level of abstraction as he was drawing on the tablet with a stylus and seeing the results immediately - rather than having to watch the screen and "draw" elsewhere. If I had a mind or the budget to buy gadgets, that might be one to think about. I'm in two minds about the doing your own work - I understand it was common practice in mediaeval times to get apprentices to paint the peripheral bits, while the master concentrated on hands and faces etc. Not that I wish to defend Koons, Hirst or the rest.

jalcocer

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 03:16:49 pm »

Don't worry about it, I have my own problems and I can tell you that I've had a lot of help and mental support from some of the people here. There are some pretty good friends-in-need to be found in this place, people who will not just agree with you to calm you down, but kick your ass as well when a kick's the best thing for you!

Thanks for your words Rob, I do need some ass kicking and some support :)

This site indeed help me out to decrease and forget some of my problems, and it is really full with nice people willing to help one out.

+1

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:19 pm »

Such as the guys who list all their equipment in their forum signature? :)
I've always found that an odd way to identify ones' self to the public.

Those are the guys, Kirk. They're usually too busy screwing around with their equipment and thinking about the next thing to add to the pile to actually go out and get a decent picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »

Unlike those of use with pithy quotes who are surely, by shear virtue of our cleverness, real photographers  ;)
"The real voyage of discove

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 07:26:00 pm »

Unlike those of use with pithy quotes who are surely, by shear virtue of our cleverness, real photographers  ;)
Dagnabbit, Chuck! At last I know what I've been missing as a photographer. I'd better see if Google can find me a pithy quote to make me as good a photographer as you.  ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 07:36:28 pm »

That's because those of us who are clever, shear pithy quotes and keep them in a notebook, Chuck.

A month ago in St. Augustine I saw an elderly guy with one of those much-advertised elaborate camera harnesses over his shoulders and around his waist with what looked like three D3's, all fitted with 70-200 lenses, hooked to the hangers on that rig. I was surprised he could even walk. If he'd tried to make a street shot on St. George street, assuming he could have gotten one of those cameras off his rig in time and without toppling over from the resulting imbalance, people would have run, screaming. I was ROTSL.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 10:04:24 pm »

hmmm
I wonder what I might glean from these communiques
I want you all to know I really benefit from knowing you're out there too.
No matter the terms, always creating
and always something good.
But I do get a thrill out of knowing I can do good work
using the equipment I have,
and make something out of nothing
I am proud of that,
and by inference,
my gear is a source of satisfaction at least.
I'm more proud if somebody has a great response to my art(if you can call it that)
Not just like it, but love it-
I'm really proud of my photo a woman framed and put directly in her stall opposite the commode-
tell me how cool is it that she can't, well you know
without looking at my art?
hahahaha
a thrill and pride right there sure

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 12:20:25 am »

Rocco,

That's the kind of pride that is worth while.

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:00 am »

Yes, but just as long as the picture is an authorised one and not a rip-off!

Anyone buying one of mine is welcome to hang it anywhere - even above their bed, from the ceiling, should that take their fancy. I can just about imagine a picture of a couple of Inquisition chairs hanging overhead... Oh, even on a barroom wall would be okay.

;-)

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:10 am »

I wonder what became of his multi-print picture era?

Rob C

The dogs barked; the caravan moved on.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:07 am »

The dogs barked; the caravan moved on.

Reminds me of my favourite Chuck Berry quotation: never let the same dog bite you twice!

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 04:25:26 am »

Taking the pith?

mediumcool

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 04:48:45 am »

It's been my experience that most people who take "pride" in their photographic equipment aren't much as photographers.

i was very pleased with my new (to me) Nikon F in 1969 (I was 17); an ex-newspaper camera bought in little old Adelaide, SA (where Rupert Murdoch got his start), it had the texta-marked company number 4945 written on the inside of the back, and the Contax-style flat-top shutter release was worn into a hemisphere of brass. Loved it but never bragged about it. Maybe it was because it sported the thumpingly obese original Photomic finder rather than a svelte pentaprism!

As time went on, both equipment and work became professional, and the gear itself became less and less objet de lamour and more a set of tools. I remember buying equipment so that it would cover an angle of view or do a specific job, not because I desired the object. RB67, SQA and certain view cameras were purchased for reasons of the head—did desire an SL66 for its tilting front standard.

Now, out of photography and back in, no Nikons, just Pentax, chosen for a balance of reasons. And a Mamiya 645 with a digital back, making a circular argument for the M645 I bought about thirty years ago, and had a soft spot for.

mediumcool

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 06:56:10 am »

Such as the guys who list all their equipment in their forum signature? :)
I've always found that an odd way to identify ones' self to the public.

The listing of gear in photography forum profiles seems to apply to computer forums too, where every bit of kit is oft displayed. My sig on MacTalk is below (and note a typical gear sig below mine):

jalcocer

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 08:22:59 am »

It's a common thing in many forums to display a quote or the specs of the computer system, me as a computer technician have to search through a lot of them and every time there is a lot of the members displaying what specs their computer have. I had displayed some of mine equipment in my signature here, but since all this debate I came into sense that all that doesn't matter, and just left as a signature a note to my late older brother.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 08:29:08 am »

That's my favorite Groucho quote. It's much better than the Macbook one.

Eric

mediumcool

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:38 am »

That's my favorite Groucho quote. It's much better than the Macbook one.

Eric

And it looks likely that he will have to change his sig.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:21 pm »

standard.

Now, out of photography and back in, no Nikons, just Pentax, chosen for a balance of reasons. And a Mamiya 645 with a digital back, making a circular argument for the M645 I bought about thirty years ago, and had a soft spot for.

How come no Nikon? Having had one early on, I couldn't imagine photo-life without some reasonable version.

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »

How come no Nikon? Having had one early on, I couldn't imagine photo-life without some reasonable version.

Rob C

Having owned, in no particular order, Nikon F, F2, F3, Nikkormat, FMs, and FEs (some with motors, most without) for many years, I eventually got to the point where I pretty much abandoned photography in favour of print design and pre-press work, and the Nikon gear was either stolen, broke down, or sold. I had respected Canon as a *serious* camera maker, but never owned one. Ignored Minolta, Pentax etc.

A point about pro photography in South Australia is that we never had the high acceptance of 35mm (compared to larger formats) as had long existed in Europe and the US. Kodachrome in Australia took a week to get to Melbourne (next capital city to the east) and return processed, too slow for agencies and clients who wanted things done yesterday—has anything changed? And non-Kodachrome emulsions didn’t really hit the sharpness spot until Fuji came along with better films. So MF and LF was much used.

About 10 years ago, missing photography, or maybe it was a decent shooting job coming up, I bought a used Pentax ME Super body for $100 and grabbed a few lenses for very little money, much less than it would have been for Nikon or Canon. The ME Super and its manual sibling the MX were very small but very solid cameras (I chose the battery-dependent ME-S for its 1/125 flash synch speed). Worked fine until I put some light oil on the stiff rewind crank and the meter suddenly crapped out (how does that work?).

When I went *seriously* digital in 2007 (had bought out some RAW-featured point-and-shoots to teach myself digital conversions) I elected for a K10D, a decent camera with weather-sealing at a good-for-the-time price, and more solid than equivalent Canikons. Still had some lenses that fit it.

About to upgrade to a K5 (will keep the K20D and try getting it converted to infrared) but do the bulk of my present work with the Mamiya—ouch, my back!

Rob C

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 05:08:28 am »

A point about pro photography in South Australia is that we never had the high acceptance of 35mm (compared to larger formats) as had long existed in Europe and the US. Kodachrome in Australia took a week to get to Melbourne (next capital city to the east) and return processed, too slow for agencies and clients who wanted things done yesterday—has anything changed? And non-Kodachrome emulsions didn’t really hit the sharpness spot until Fuji came along with better films. So MF and LF was much used.

It was quite a struggle getting it accepted in Scotland, too. Kodachrome was indeed the only colour option we could use - in 35mm - and I sometimes preferred the colours of Ektachrome. However, processing made it viable only for non-urgent shoots like calendars; for day-to-day advertising it was 120 rolls of Ektachrome every time.

But we then moved on to the next job  - if there was one! - unlike today, where folks seem to be wedded to the computer chair 24/24.

Rob C  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:28:18 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up