Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pride?  (Read 12456 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Pride?
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:09:54 am »

I hear recently an increasing number of people claiming their pride about the camera they own.

My view had always been that the only people who can legitimately be proud about a camera are the engineers who designed it. The pride of the owner is nothing but pride for the willigness to engage in a money spending act.

Thoughts?  ???

Cheers,
Bernard

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
Re: Pride?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:45:03 am »

I have been proud of owning something, including a camera.  The pride came from the fact that I worked and saved money in order to be able to purchase it. 

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:19:10 am »

It's been my experience that most people who take "pride" in their photographic equipment aren't much as photographers.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »

It must depend, I suppose, on circumstances.

If you're working in your own business, then as you graduate up through the ranks of what you can afford, is it unreasonable to enjoy a little pride, as Russ suggests, in your cameras and other work-related bits and pieces - much as in the nice set of wheels, come to think of it?

Also, in the pro situation, there's no doubt that having good stuff around you reflects your status to clients - and many are knowledgeable about equipment.

For the amateur - well, I don't know; now that that's what I am, as some may know, the cellphone suddenly gets the airing!

Rob C

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 12:10:01 pm »

It's been my experience that most people who take "pride" in their photographic equipment aren't much as photographers.

Could you please expound upon your opinion?

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:35:06 am »

Thoughts?  ???

In my experience that's mainly a language thing. The word "pride" is just used differently in different places (at least that's what I can say about Europe vs. USA). Similarly to "liberal" which in Europe is used to describe a relaxed attitude towards an issue, while in the US it's almost a curse word.

mac_paolo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:41:37 am »

I have been proud of owning something, including a camera.  The pride came from the fact that I worked and saved money in order to be able to purchase it. 
Agree.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:38:26 am »

I hear recently an increasing number of people claiming their pride about the camera they own.

You must be new around here (where here refers to this think we call Planet Earth), because this "brand pride" has existed for ages: cameras, cars, TV's, ... . Just wait till Apple releases their iCamera!

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 07:44:45 am »

My view had always been that the only people who can legitimately be proud about a camera are the engineers who designed it. The pride of the owner is nothing but pride for the willigness to engage in a money spending act.

Thoughts?  ???

Cheers,
Bernard

I think it's an ego thing. People are not proud of the camera in the same sense as the designers would be, I don't believe, but they are probably proud at having made the particular choice that they made. This happens with cars, watches, shoes, you name it. I chose "this" one, therefore it's the best choice. This is the decision I made, therefore it must be the best, because I made it.

And then we need to boast about it to others, maybe because in this day and age, when people spend most of their time pushing paper around instead of hunting on the savanna, we don't really have much to brag about. It's domination politics. Watch any wolf pack on National Geographic. Same thing, but with less blood. :)

Different cameras are more similar than they are different, same with cars, same even with political parties, etc. The differences are wildly exaggerated. It's as if we need to construct points of divergence to prove we're not conformists to each other.
--
Robert

jalcocer

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:15 am »

Guess it can be taken in different ways, the pride on the effort made to buy the equipment is a good one, but in that case I guess would be more like a good feeling about the effort in buying the camera, I'm more into the pride of the pictures taken by yourself, but that lefts the equipment aside.

Personally, I feel good about the equipment I use, but not proud, since is not something I made. I feel proud whenever I take a good picture, and I guess even more since I'm still learning. Whenever I get to buy something bit better than someone elses I feel different, but not proud (maybe a bit spoiled by me), but that's it.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:25 am »

"I want photography to be not just a hobbie, but to be my life"
Canon t2i, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 18-125 3.8-5.6

Well, that's not really a matter of wanting: it's a matter of having no choice. If it's going to be, you can't prevent it.

Rob C

jalcocer

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:00:55 am »

Well, that's not really a matter of wanting: it's a matter of having no choice. If it's going to be, you can't prevent it.

You are right, is not just about wanting, but well I guess there's no harm on wishing for it to be, don't know if I'm talented enough but at least I won't stop practicing and trying my best. :)

Thanks for the feedback

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

You are right, is not just about wanting, but well I guess there's no harm on wishing for it to be, don't know if I'm talented enough but at least I won't stop practicing and trying my best. :)

I think you missed the point of Rob's post. He wasn't talking about being a professional, he was talking about photography being so important to you, regardless of talent, that you HAVE to make images. It becomes a compulsion and, in many aspects, one of the more important aspects of your life.
"The real voyage of discove

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »

I think you missed the point of Rob's post. He wasn't talking about being a professional, he was talking about photography being so important to you, regardless of talent, that you HAVE to make images. It becomes a compulsion and, in many aspects, one of the more important aspects of your life.

Absolutely, and a mixed blessing at best!

I watched David Hockney on a brief tv clip this evening; he's 74 and has just put on an exhibition of a new series of English landscapes. What had me giggle was his remark that, if you find something that excites you at his age, best stick with it! I wonder what became of his multi-print picture era?

Rob C

jalcocer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:56:31 pm »

Thanks for clarifying that, since english is not my native language some times I get caught on the words and sentences and don't always see the full picture. Now I understand, and guess I need to fix my signature, when I say that I want photography to be my life I mean that I would love for it to be my job, my way of living, that much I enjoy it.

I work all day with computers and fixing this, and fixing that, with 12 hour journeys that sometimes drain me completely,  I know is not enough of an excuse, but I still grab my camera whenever I can, trying to learn more day after day and taking all the variety of pictures I can. But oh man, I would love to live of my photography.

Sadly I'm also in some kind of minor depression because of the situation here in my country (Mexico) specially in my city and state, robbery is increasing like maniac, gun shots almost everywhere, can't be outside too early or too late, can't take your camera outdoors because of what may happen, soldiers everywhere, living with a constant fear of getting caught in crossfire.

But still, I try to take the best out of being indoors, grab my speedlight, a couple of my clamp lights and take portraits, inanimate objects or whatever I can, photography also has become a way of being more in peace.

Sorry to drop all my problems on you, is just that sometimes it comes out without even noticing.

LoisWakeman

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 06:12:44 am »

There was a short piece I saw on TV last week showing him (David Hockney) sketching en plein air with an iPAD, and also, the multi-screen presentation of his home territory on the Yorkshire Wolds over the year, which is part of the exhibition. Fascinating stuff, and I am really hoping to have time and money to go to the RA and see the exhibition before it closes. His remarks on the importance of being able to see, rather than just looking, really struck a chord with me.

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney/

If you haven't seen his latest work and like modern landscapes, this is inspiring stuff! I saw an "Imagine" documentary on him a year or two back, and his draftmanship was masterly. Anyone who thinks you can be a great painter without having the basic skills should be made to watch it, IMO.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22:01 pm »

There was a short piece I saw on TV last week showing him (David Hockney) sketching en plein air with an iPAD, and also, the multi-screen presentation of his home territory on the Yorkshire Wolds over the year, which is part of the exhibition. http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/hockney/

Hi Lois

The short piece that I saw had him mention the iPAD and he said that at first he thought it a toy (rough paraphrasing here!) but that he was able to work out a great pallette and that he discovered it to be really usefull.

I've never seen one of these delights in the flesh, as it were, and I wondered if it's something like one of those Waco/ Wacom? tablet things you can use to do Photoshop with instead of working via a mouse?

He made reference to doing all his own work - I wonder if he was having a go at Messrs. Hirst and Koons...

And why not!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »

Sorry to drop all my problems on you, is just that sometimes it comes out without even noticing.

Don't worry about it, I have my own problems and I can tell you that I've had a lot of help and mental support from some of the people here. There are some pretty good friends-in-need to be found in this place, people who will not just agree with you to calm you down, but kick your ass as well when a kick's the best thing for you!

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »

Such as the guys who list all their equipment in their forum signature? :)
I've always found that an odd way to identify ones' self to the public.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:40:19 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »

Such as the guys who list all their equipment in their forum signature? :)
I've always found that an odd way to identify ones' self to the public.

Innit just!

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up