Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 with Super B/Super A3  (Read 3483 times)

MOMOP

Epson 7900 with Super B/Super A3
« on: January 14, 2012, 06:57:04 pm »

Hi All,

I've just set up an Epson 7900 and am putting the system on test.  The print output per se is just lovely, but there appear to be two curious things occuring when using the printer with 13" x 19" sheets (Super B/ Super A3 if you like).  First, I am printing a 10" x 15" image on the sheets and the image is not centered, but left of center by 0.5 cm.  The top and bottom margins are identical.  Secondly, when the print is finished the printer posts a 'Paper out' error (both on the printer and on the Epson Status Monitor panel).  I've tried Exhibition Fiber and Premium Luster and the behavior is the same in both cases.  I'm in the process of working through other paper sizes to determine whether the effect is general.  

I printed the exact same image on an Epson 3880, and the print is centered, and no errors are posted.  But there is a sutble difference.  When the print interface (Windows 7) is activated in Photoshop (CS5), the image in centered up in the white background when I select the 3880 printer.  When I print to the 7900, and select roll as the paper source, the image appears centered in a white background, exactly as with the 3880.  If I select sheet as the paper source for the 7900, there is a thin margin on the right hand side of the white border.  Perhaps this horizontal offset is normal?  Is a paper out message normal?

I'll close with thanks in advance for any advice folks might share on troubleshooting this.

Cheers,

Peter
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:11:11 pm by MOMOP »

chaddro

Re: Epson 7900 with Super B/Super A3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »

You wouldn't by chance be using a mac? There is something wrong with the mac print driver that it will not center as it should, especially if you try to use a user defined printer paper.

However, if I print from a PC, then everything is centered correctly.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:09:57 pm »

I'm on a Mac and had no problem with the printer driver nor centering until "upgrading" to Lion and installing the Lion-modified Epson driver. However, after a lot of re-re-reconfiguring, it's back to normal, working as before, and I'm getting used to the new bald patch on my scalp and some grind-flattend molars.

In the printer driver (via Photoshop) dialog boxes is where you can set up whatever length you want for your rolls. I always make the width 24" and then add a couple of inches for white space at the top and bottom of my image. There's a check box for automatic centering, which has never been a problem for me. However, there are times when I'll deselect that and bump the print off center manually.

MOMOP

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 09:11:25 pm »

I'm using a PC running Windows 7 (64 bit).  I've found a resolution to the centering issue.  If you are printing from the 7900, when setting media setting, paper source, size, et al., from the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 Properties panel, there is a button labeled Printable Area....  If that button is selected, another panel appears labeled Printable Area with a single radio button labeled Centered.  To center images on sheet paper with the 7900, you need only enable that centering feature.  This option does not appear on the Epson 3880, presumably since that printer is sheet-only.

I'm still getting this Paper out error with sheet stock though.  I've sent a message to Epson technical support and will post any new info here.

P.

MOMOP

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:14:39 pm »

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your comment.  Looks like I found the equivalent route through the Windows driver that you are describing.

P.

MOMOP

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »

A final follow up on the Paper out message that appears on the Epson 7900 printer upon completion of a print job when using sheet stock.  Jim W from Epson technical support confirms that this error report is normal.

P.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:39:55 pm by MOMOP »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:58:57 am »

A final follow up on the Paper out message that appears on the Epson 7900 printer upon completion of a print job when using sheet stock.  Jim W from Epson technical support confirms that this error report is normal.

P.
yes, normal. the printer is indeed out of paper, even though the printer "hangs on" to the print you just made rather than dropping it until you are present to release it.  always been this way.

surprised you didn't get an answer from the forum sooner, but I guess it is a weekend.  I suppose kudos to epson for helping you on the weekend ...

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:58 am »

Yep, "Paper Out" is indeed correct when the print head scanner sees nothing but printer hardware. I missed the fact that you were talking about sheets, not rolls. Sorry for the misdirection.

MOMOP

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 12:45:56 pm »

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your message.  I appreciate the confirmation.

P.

MOMOP

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 12:47:24 pm »

Thanks Ken.  I guess with these production printers you gotta keep them ready to go!

P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up