Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy LR3 now or wait?  (Read 2700 times)

JohnBrady

Buy LR3 now or wait?
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »

OK so I purchased LR3 and later that day saw that LR4 in in Beta Testing. Financially do you think I am better of downloading the Beta 4 version and then buy the full blown 4 when it's released or do you think my $200 purchase price for 3 plus the upgrade to 4 will make it a wash?

I haven't opened my new Light Room 3 so it's not too late to return it.

I know this will only be a best guess. Thanks!

www.timeandlight.com

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Buy LR3 now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »

It's really dependent on how many images you have right now and whether you want to get a head start on processing and organizing them in LR.  As has been noted, there is no guarantee that what you do in the LR4 Beta will be carried over when LR4 is introduced.  Some have conjectured that it will be finalized by the beginning of April.  If this is so and you want to commit to LR, you will have almost 3 full months if you go the LR3 route and then upgrade to LR4.  I honestly cannot remember what I paid for the LR2 -> LR3 upgrade (maybe 1/2 the cost of the new edition??).  Only you can determine the cost/benefit ratio of going down this road where the security of knowing that what you do in terms of image development will be retained with LR4 comes out.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 04:54:55 pm »

I believe that at the time Lr 3 was announced, the full retail price was $299 and the upgrade price was $99.
Eric Chan

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 05:16:44 pm »

I believe that at the time Lr 3 was announced, the full retail price was $299 and the upgrade price was $99.
Yes, that's correct.  I just checked my Adobe account on the order history.  CS5 upgrade from CS4 was $199.

JohnBrady

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:19:13 pm »

That would be me at $299 if the same holds true, not bad.

I am an 8x10 film shooter, I make 1 gig scans on a Creo iq2 and work them in cs5. I hope I really need light room, it's going to be a learning curve implementing it into my work flo. It appears there are some improvements printing which I do with an Epsom 9900.

Thanks for weighing in.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 07:33:01 pm »

I would imagine LR will fit into your routine quite well. The $200 you paid plus the $99 upgrade all equals out. That being said, might Adobe offer a free upgrade for those who purchased LR3 after xxx date?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Ch-Jaeger

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:16 am »

As of today, Adobe gives a 50% Discount on LR 3 until Feb.5 2012. For those who live in Germany, Amazon.de is selling LR3 for 125 Euro, which is even more than 50% off.

I 'll buy today and update to LR 4 when it comes out, hoping for an update Price around 100 €/$ (leaving enough headroom to make it a good purchase even if the update costs a little more)

--
Christoph

feethea

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:19 am »

In support of Christoph, Amazon UK are selling the full retail version of LR3 for GBP95 compared to the 50% discount price on the Adobe UK site of GBP118.80. So, I too would buy LR3 today and upgrade in April.

Barry

walter.sk

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:25:32 pm »

I have not bought LR3, but had LR1 and upgraded to LR2 through 2.7.  Now that LR4 will have some of the features I really wanted, I'd like to get it when it comes out, but will my LR2.7 qualify for the upgrade price to LR4?

Walter Schulz

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 03:20:55 pm »

Today Adobe allows to upgrade to LR 3 for owners of LR 1.x and 2.x.  

Ciao, Walter
Pages: [1]   Go Up