Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What should I do with current LR3 catalog when trying LR4 beta  (Read 2494 times)

jljonathan

What should I do with current LR3 catalog when trying LR4 beta
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:29:09 pm »

Before running LR4 beta, should I rename the LR3 catalog, or duplicate it to prevent any updating etc that might prevent me going back for now until 4 is released? I don't want the catalog or images to be changed so that I can't use 3.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: What should I do with current LR3 catalog when trying LR4 beta
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »

When LR4PB1 launches, it will create a new catalogue. The worst possible thing would be for you to corrupt images in your LR3 catalogue by using it with this beta (unfinished) version of LR4. It is designed for testing and becomes defunct on March 31, 2012, so it's best not to be working with your LR3 catalogue.

Here's what I did:
  • I selected a subset of photos in LR3 that I want in LR4 to test it out and exported them as a catalogue to my Desktop making sure the check boxes at the bottom of the dialogue box were checked [File > Export as Catalog]
  • LR4, wouldn't let me "Import from another catalog" (a safety feature, I suppose) so I simply chose File > Import Photos and Videos... then navigated to the catalogue I just created
  • in Import, I chose "Move" (not Copy or Add) so the files physically became part of the temporary LR4 library and put them in with the LR4 application so it's all on one place (easy to delete when I finished)
  • alternatively, from within LR4, you could simply choose File > Import Photos and Videos... and navigate to your LR3 Photo Library (not your catalogue, but rather the location of your originals) and choose "Copy" (not "Move!!) and add them to your LR4 catalogue and library.
There are probably other ways to achieve the same end, but make sure you work in LR4 with copies of your originals, not the originals themselves. It might just be that the move to full version of LR4 is seamless, but just in case it isn't, I want to err on the side of caution.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:42 am »

When testing LR 4 I have simply created a new catalog (of course) and added existing folders. I have checked that write XMP is NOT on in catalog settings. Since Lightroom do not alter originals and I only edit RAW files there should be no problem whatsoever with this approach. But if you want to be sure, then make copies of your original files.

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 08:15:18 am »

You're not even permitted to convert/upgrade your LR3 catalogue for use in the LR4 beta.  The two are purposely kept separate.

When the full version of LR4 comes out, if you choose to upgrade, I believe you'll have to merge the old LR3 catalogue into the new LR4 catalogue if you want to keep the work you've already done in the LR4 beta.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

Correct, the Lr 4 Beta will neither import nor upgrade your existing Lr 3 (or earlier catalog).  Thus you should have no problem continuing to use Lr 3 with your existing catalog.
Eric Chan

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

Correct, the Lr 4 Beta will neither import nor upgrade your existing Lr 3 (or earlier catalog).  Thus you should have no problem continuing to use Lr 3 with your existing catalog.

Any advise about what the import process does with the old LR 3 irdata (previews)?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 01:36:21 am »

I have my LR 3 catalog and my LR 4 catalog in the same folder; they have separate preview files.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:41 pm »

I have my LR 3 catalog and my LR 4 catalog in the same folder; they have separate preview files.

Yes but what about the size of the older, previous file? Same as before the upgrade?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up