Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acrylic Panels for Face Mounting  (Read 4868 times)

Johnny_Boy

Acrylic Panels for Face Mounting
« on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »

I am experimenting with face mounting and have some questions about where to get acrylic panels?

1.   Type? -  Since I am testing out, I just picked up “regular” 1/4 panel. Do I need specific UV protector option for the final product?
2.   Cut? – I am currently sourcing from TAP plastics which is a local vendor. They use table saw to cut them to size. Should I find a vendor that does laser cut or something? The edges are slightly too rough and not everything is 100% true, although they are very close (nobody will probably notice it, but I do as I also dabbled in wood and metal working in the past)
3.   Flame polishing? – I am debating whether I should do this or not? Am I going to have to worry about warranty work due to crazing on the edges? Should I do it at home, or let the supplier do it? I think they are just using hand hold MAPP gas torch.
4.   Suppliers? – I am assuming online supplier will be more expensive due to shipping cost? Any recommendation on whom I should also check out? I am in the Seattle, WA area

Additional Questions on backer boards
1.   Sintra or Dibond for backing? – I was set on doing Dibond, but I can’t figure out who carries it locally and cut it to the size that I want. I can get Sintra from TAP plastics in town.
2.   Glue? – Sintra that I can locally source does not come pre-glued, so I need to apply glue. Using Optimount seems overkill since they are very expensive. Do I do spray adhesive or something? Any brand recommendation?
3.   Stacks perfectly? – How do I ensure that the front acrylic panel and the backing boards line up 100% without any overhang on either? I am not sure table saw cut panels will be accurate enough for this? Or is this one of those “close enough for government work?” and call it good?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:34:26 pm by Johnny_Boy »

a.lorge

Re: Acrylic Panels for Face Mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:27:25 pm »

Type: if you are just experimenting, you could even save yourself some money and go with 1/8" acrylic.  UV acrylic is overkill since the optimount is UV filtering, and acrylic has quite a bit natural UV filtering anyway.  Plus UV acrylic costs a fortune.

Cut:  Don't use a saw cut edge.  A: it looks ugly and B: You get a lot of leftover saw pieces that are likely to find a way into the mount.  I would say the score and snap method is preferable to saw cutting (just make sure to the edge that was scored faces away from the print).  Laser cutting is ideal, and it shouldn't cost too much to have done if you can find someone local.  Just as a reference for what to expect in terms of pricing, I usually look for about $75 an hour for laser cutting and I can cut about 15 pieces of 24" x 36" 1/4" acylic an hour.

Sintra or dibond:  Use Sintra for starters.  This also answers the "stacks perfectly" question.  If you use a relatively thin piece of sintra (3mm ish), you can trim it with a utility knife after you mount the acrylic/print sandwich to it.  Just leave the sintra a little oversized.

Glue:  Optimount is overkill, but don't use spray adhesive.  Use some kind of economical double sided pressure sensitive adhesive.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:07:43 pm by a.lorge »

Johnny_Boy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:56 am »

Thanks. Yeah, I've been experimenting with 8"x11" size acrylic that are 1/8" thick as well as 13"x19" - 1/4" thick. I must tell you this is pretty hard to do! :) I do not have a perfect one done after about doing 9 so far. But I am getting closer.

BTW, what kind shops offer laser cutting service? Sign shops?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 03:35:47 am »

There are double sided adhesives to mount to your dibond or sintra much cheaper than optimount.  If you have the laminator for face mounting, shouldn't be any problem at all to use the laminator for regular mounting.   No way would I mess with spray for something like this.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 07:32:04 am »

There are double sided adhesives to mount to your dibond or sintra much cheaper than optimount.  If you have the laminator for face mounting, shouldn't be any problem at all to use the laminator for regular mounting.   No way would I mess with spray for something like this.

Wayne has it right.
Optimount for the image to plexi and Print Mount Ultra to adhesive the plexi/print to the Sintra. (Other manufacturers have options as well.)
I purchased a 43" roll of Print Mount Ultra and cut in on my miter saw to a 25" and 18" roll.
I rarley put these rolls on the laminator unless I am doing large pieces or many in a row.
Just cut a sheet off the roll slightly oversized then your substrate, line it up and run through the laminator.

Per our off line conversation, now you know what I was talking about.
You will start to get more keepers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:47:49 pm by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up