Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benro tripods?  (Read 8835 times)

ChristianRandwijk

Benro tripods?
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:52 am »

Hey everyone, I am getting properly set up for my landscape/architecture kit; 5D2 in the house, 24mm TSE2 on the way, so next stop: tripod. I know a lot of pros and serious amateurs use Gitzo, but the Gitzo carbon fibre tripods are a bit out of my immediate price range (due to 24mm TSE2 purchase). A local photo store has a sale with 30%-40% off selected Benro Carbon Fibre tripods. So I was wondering if anyone has any comments about the Benro tripods? I never heard about them before, but it's a really good pro photo store in central Copenhagen, so I suppose they know what they're doing.

Rob C

Re: Benro tripods?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »

Well, its either a typo or a rip-off of Benbo. I wouldn't buy it.

Rob C

Walter Schulz

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »

It's the third option:
http://benrousa.com/main/

Ciao, Walter

K.C.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

The Gitzos old pros are using were made in France and for the most part were great tripods. I know because I have a couple that I used for nearly 30 years. Today Gitzo is owned by Manfrotto and is not the quality product it once was.

Benro and Induro are the same company. You'll find a very favorable review of an Induro here.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:05:52 pm »

So I was wondering if anyone has any comments about the Benro tripods? I never heard about them before, but it's a really good pro photo store in central Copenhagen, so I suppose they know what they're doing.

I use Benro tripods. Buy the tripod legs - they are as good as you need them to be. Avoid all Benro heads. If you are planning on precise alignment and flexibility you might have to pull all of your hair out to get your shot.

I know mine is a rather 'radical' view, but if you are strong I suggest Benro Aluminium legs (cheaper than carbon fiber but heavier and more stable, IMO) and a good head from a reputable brand. This way, you can stay well within your budget. Hope this helps.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 06:42:14 am »

I use Benro Carbon Fiber (CF) tripods - they are fine and much less expensive than Gitzo. I have found the Benros to be reliable and worth the money. I have never used a Benro tripod head.

Check Ebay - there is a fellow selling directly from China and that is where I purchased one or two; Amazon.com was running a great close-out on a 4-section Benro about a year ago ($220) for a Carbon Fiber 4-section that supported up to 40pds (divide the latter figure by four and you get a more accurate estimate of what any tripod can support safely).

Here is a link to the seller on Ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/DCs-Photography-Store/Tripod-Legs-/_i.html?_fsub=2203154018&_sid=896782438&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

And I recommend a three section CF without center column such as this one - I don't like flip-locks preferring twist ones instead:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRO-C3770T-Carbon-Tripod-work-w-o-center-column-/310371266135?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item484391ae57

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:57 am »

Personally I'm a bit sceptical about "cheap" carbon tripods. In general, many cheap products from China which are allegedly made from carbon are just black-dyed e-glass and thus don't have the positive attributes which real carbon fibres would offer, i.e. hight strength and low weight. With a limited budget I would therefore rather buy a well-made aluminum tripod. In fact some years I paid about 80 Euros for an old made-in-France Gitzo Studex 3. About as sturdy as it get's and in case of an emergence can be used to club to death a full-grown brontosaurus.

mac_paolo

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 08:27:34 am »

I own a Benro tripod with Benro ballhead.
They're more or less Gitzo clones. They are cheaper but not cheap.  8)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »

I own and use both a Gitzo and a Benro. I like 'em both. I've found my Benro to be very rugged as well as stable. Leg locks are smooth and easy to work, which is usually my biggest beef with tripods.
The Gitzo was nearly $700......the Benro was only $200 or $300, if memory serves.

jeremypayne

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »

My $700 Gitzo snapped after 3 years of intense, but cared-for usage.

I'm gonna go with a Benro if they don't replace it for me as defective.

JNHenry

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »

I don't think there is anything wrong with Benro's.  I had one for years, and it worked well (continues to work well).  Finally decided I wanted a taller tripod, and went with a new Really Right Stuff TCV-24L.  After getting that, the Benro just seems so....inadequate.  In reality, it works just fine.

The story goes that Gitzo was going to (or did) outsource their tripod manufacturing to China.  The people they partnered with literally opened their own factory a couple of miles away and stole Gitzo's technology and manufacturing.  I don't know if this story is true or not, but having lived and worked in China, I wouldn't be surprised.  I bought my Benro while living in Beijing, bot 4 years or so of good use out of it, and now have it as a back up.  Not bad for $300 or so.

Cheers,

Jeff

dreed

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 03:31:18 am »

I own a Benro tripod with Benro ballhead.
They're more or less Gitzo clones. They are cheaper but not cheap.  8)

Same here.

I wanted something that was small and light so as to not be a burden whilst hiking - I also have a more heavy duty tripod for when lots of walking isn't required.

Works fine except that the ballhead is a bit fidly with zooms when trying to get it steady.

ChristianRandwijk

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 04:07:38 am »

Well, thanks again guys, looks like my initial thoughts were supported by a lot of you, namely getting the Benro legs and then either use the ballhead from my old Manfrotto tripod (not completely happy with that ballhead, though) or getting a new head, maybe Manfrotto or Gitzo, for the legs. I think I'll start a new thread about the head, though, a number of questions about that are floating around in my head.....

pjtn

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 06:02:04 am »

I did not know Gitzo tripods are not of the quality they once were. It's not really surprising but does any other manufacturer make a better tripod than they do? I'm curious because I want to purchase a much more steady tripod soon for long exposures.

Pingang

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:55 am »

In China, where I live, we Gitzo if we can afford it, we took Benro because it is cheaper.  I have very old Gitzo - more than 15 years, and still good.  I hardly know any one use a 5-years old Benro, even in China.

PA
Pages: [1]   Go Up