Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiles for Canon IPF8300  (Read 2780 times)

SignBoy

Profiles for Canon IPF8300
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:39:18 am »

Hi,

I have a Canon ipf8300 printer use some Canon and Hahnemule paper but find the profiles so so. What company makes the best profiles and what is the cost?
Thanks,

Greg

howardm

Re: Profiles for Canon IPF8300
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:49 am »

there are several custom profile makers here like Eric Chan and Andrew Rodney.  I know that inkjetart.com and booksmartstudio.com also make custom profiles.  Or you can get a ColorMunki Photo or i1Photo and make your own.

deanwork

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

Remember it is also very important to correctly go through the printer calibration routine with the 8300.

When I first bought mine the first day I tried doing it with their Heavyweight Satin and that doesn't work. You must use one of their designated papers, like the Canon Heavyweight Matte, Canon Premium Matte, and a few others on their list.

But it is true that custom profiles are going to help you out and I would definitely recommend doing that and don't do it on the cheap, use someone who has the best software and does it right.

john

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 02:01:13 pm »

I second the printer calibration recommendation, it's very worth the paper that is used.  Before doing to calibration, download the media .am1 file from the manufacturer.  Use the "Edit" mode of the Canon Media Configuration Tool to see what basic paper type the manufacturer selected, and what the inkload settings are.  Use those as the basis for your new custom media type that will come out of the calibration steps, and use that media type when you print the profiling patches.

To really do it right, run scuff tests on test prints with your new media type, and if necessary reduce the inkload setting if the dark ink patches smear too much after a decent drying time.  There is a tendency for manufacturers to specify too-heavy inkload settings to get high d-max's on their papers, at the expense of gobbling up other not quite so dark dark tones...IMHO.

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »

Yes the accurate media setting is important. I believe the correct media setting for H. Photorag is Special 8. At least that is what was recommended for the Canson Rag Photographique and the other Canson matte rag papers that  I use. Generally the media settings I'm using are Special 8 for matte rag and Special 4 for the gloss fiber papers like the Harmon Baryta, both of which are delivering optimal ink loads for these papers.

For BW if you haven't checked out the True Black and White rip from BowHaus I would suggest doing so with the trial version. You can linearize them with an Eye One yourself, but their presets are excellent. Their neutral is dead neutral and only uses the 3 black and gray inks, which proves the Canon inks don't need cyan and magenta content to achieve true neutrality. Their warm curve is very nice too, and not greenish like many oem presets I've seen. What I love with this printer is the Harmon warm toned baryta paper with the TBW neutral "profile". Very nice and the closest thing to an Ilfobrome print I've ever seen out of inkjet.

john
Pages: [1]   Go Up