Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: What's still missing from LR4?  (Read 36190 times)

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
Re: What's still missing from LR4?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

You've not looked hard enough - it's under View > Layout Overlay. See this video on a couple of tricks.

John

Hi John,

You're right - I didn't see this. Thanks very much!

Regards,
Ben

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »

You can already create custom lens profiles for use in LR/ACR.  And there is a lengthy list of lenses already profiled.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

LCC is not a lens profile.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »

LCC is essentially a flat field adjustment to fix shading (wavelength-dependent, spatially varying light response).  ACR and LR actually support the technology (since version 5.4/2.4) but it's not currently exposed in the user interface.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

Thank's a lot for this insight, I appreciate it a lot! I don't want to hijack this thread but could you explain to me, or point me to some explanation, of how higher order distortions are corrected with just a single slider? I agree that the lens profiles give excellent results in general, but for example with my Tamron 17-50 2.8 there still seem to be some residual distortions a bit away from the corners. (However, I haven't done any rigorous testing so far. Just noticed it in a series of architectural photos I made).

Unfortunately we don't have a single slider that can correct high-order distortions.  What I meant was that the profile should ideally do that, and turning on the profile should be a single step.  The trouble with some cases is that we don't have enough metadata to perform the ideal corrections.  This is particularly true when using third-party lenses, since the focus distance metadata isn't available (the camera doesn't record it). Distortion behavior depends on focus distance (sometimes a lot), so when we don't have the available metadata -- such as in your Tamron case, we can't always correct fully.  Often the Distortion slider under the Profile popup can be used to fix it, though.
Eric Chan

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 04:22:32 pm »

Something else missing, I've noticed. In the Print Module it would be helpful if the borders and centre of ID Plate show up on the rulers as that would allow for more precise alignment; e.g. with centre of photo
OR - better yet, make "sticky" anchors as in the Slideshow module.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 05:25:19 pm »

LCC is essentially a flat field adjustment to fix shading (wavelength-dependent, spatially varying light response).  ACR and LR actually support the technology (since version 5.4/2.4) but it's not currently exposed in the user interface.

And why not ? I mean LR4 is great so far, but the ONLY thing I really would like to have is a good LCC correction in LR. It is the only way why I can only use lightrrom for tiff files.. :(
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »

Unfortunately, flat field correction in the UI is not something we've been able to prioritize to date.  That may change in the future, though.
Eric Chan

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41:46 am »

#1 The facility to amend template layouts and save them in the Book module.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 05:25:26 am »

As in the other thread, Adobe have said this will be possible

John Caldwell

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 09:26:02 am »

Relative Adjustments in the Develop module. This would permit, for example, applying in Increase in black clipping level to multiple images rather than synchronizing Absolute black clipping level between images. This kind of thing comes up in my workflow when I'm preparing files for different output devices.

John Caldwell

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:30 am »

A history panel in the book module.
Different option to sharpen for screen when outputting PDFs for ebooks.

dreed

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »

Relative Adjustments in the Develop module. This would permit, for example, applying in Increase in black clipping level to multiple images rather than synchronizing Absolute black clipping level between images. This kind of thing comes up in my workflow when I'm preparing files for different output devices.

And/or being able to use a "grid view" in Develop and being able to select multiple images for applying certain changes rather than doing one and then "Sync Settings".

Which reminds me - with older lenses/cameras, it is sometimes necessary to manually select the lens maker and model. Often LR will correctly guess the model if I tell it the manufacturer BUT doing a sync to that from other pictures with a different model will cause the model from the master of the sync to become the model for the target of the sync.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 07:08:05 pm »

+1

Erik

John Caldwell
Erik Kaffehr

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 12:08:49 am »

I am very pleased with the work in the Dev module around the basic panel and brushes for WB and noise.  Thanks a million Eric!  However, I think the  auto mask edge algorithms for the adjustment brush need a little tweaking to prevent halos.  I know adobe is aware of this so hopefully it gets some resources soon.

Maybe instead of a new clone brush we need to clone Eric  ;)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 12:32:08 am »

The reason I suggest dropping Web and Slideshow (if Adobe isn't serious about improving them and implementing them well) is that I sure don't want Lightroom to be become code-bloated with "half-assed" features as has happened to other apps.
The web module is in fact very powerful as it allows people to make rather clever plugins for it. I've built my current website completely within LR. One which looks fine on any sized monitor and will work on mobile phones too using HTML5. You use LR's organising abilities to collect images for site and then to export them as well.
I will however be building a landing page to gather in all the various different projects that make up my portfolio and each will be in effect a mini-site in same style as the current version.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 03:06:00 am »

And/or being able to use a "grid view" in Develop and being able to select multiple images for applying certain changes rather than doing one and then "Sync Settings".
You can already do this. Use the second screen option - if you only have one monitor, it gives a floating panel. Also, switch on AutoSync and leave it on. Then whenever you have mutiple files selected your adjustments apply to all the files and you don't need to spend time going through SyncSettings.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2012, 08:53:42 am »

The web module is in fact very powerful as it allows people to make rather clever plugins for it. I've built my current website completely within LR.

Agreed - I, too use it for galleries. What miffs me is that if you add one photo, the whole gallery needs to be republished. This is not an efficient use of the power of computers.

Perhaps aspects of Web can be made to run through "Publish" so that LR keeps track of what's already there (it might already be there for all I know). I would even advocate elevating "Publish" to a module, rather than a palette in Library.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2012, 09:09:45 am »

Agreed - I, too use it for galleries. What miffs me is that if you add one photo, the whole gallery needs to be republished. This is not an efficient use of the power of computers.
No it isn't a good use at all, and back in v1 days I was encouraging Adobe to distinguish Web by attacking that very pain point. In its defence, it's no worse than the static web gallery generators in other products. Publish does of course hint at the kind of control that we really need, but my worry would be that any further development by Adobe would concentrate on online services ranging from Flickr to Photoshelter rather than to the static web galleries that Web generates. Maybe the days of static HTML galleries are over? But a Publish-Web might be done by a third party who knows plugins, PHP and HTML (I might dig around!)

John

dreed

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2012, 10:36:27 am »

You can already do this. Use the second screen option - if you only have one monitor, it gives a floating panel. Also, switch on AutoSync and leave it on. Then whenever you have mutiple files selected your adjustments apply to all the files and you don't need to spend time going through SyncSettings.

Oh, I see. I've been ignorant.

I can set the second screen to "grid view" and the primary to "develop".

If I could reverse that, so that the grid was on screen 1 and the image being edited was shown on 2, that'd be perfect.

Why that way around?

Because on screen 2 there is more screen real estate for the image that I'm editing - much less screen real estate is lost on the left, right or bottom to strips, be they the disappearing kind or not.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2012, 11:06:40 am »

Oh, I see. I've been ignorant.
I didn't put it that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up