Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resources for DIY Epson 3800 servicing (cap assembly)?  (Read 4547 times)

AFairley

Resources for DIY Epson 3800 servicing (cap assembly)?
« on: January 10, 2012, 11:56:39 am »

From my talk with Epson support about the ink streak problems with my Epson 3800, it sounds like either the capping station needs to be flushed or the cap assembly needs to be replaced.  It does not make a lot of sense to spend a lot of money having this done by a service center since the cost of a new 3880 net of the current rebate and the value of the included ink is around $400.

Can anyone point me to a service manual or detailed tutorial that would let me try to flush the capping station myself?  Or at least get access to the cap assembly.

Thanks.

francois

Re: Resources for DIY Epson 3800 servicing (cap assembly)?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59:27 am »

Not sure if this helps but Googling a bit gives me: Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Service Manual

Not sure if the posted manual is legal or not…
Francois

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 12:32:20 pm »

Not sure if this helps but Googling a bit gives me: Epson Stylus Pro 3800 Service Manual

Thanks francois, appreciate your time and help.

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »

Alan,
You're welcome and I really hope that you can repair your printer without spilling ink everywhere!

Good luck…
Francois

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:13:49 pm »

It's not.  From the manual, "All rights reserved. No part of this manual may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION."

It amazes me how many photographers or other creative artists are prepared to ignore copyright and abuse intellectual property rights when it suits them, considering their entire livelihood exists due to the sale of their own IP and reliance on copyright protection of their works.
Phil Brown

MichaelWorley

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:46:19 pm »

. . . .

It amazes me how many photographers or other creative artists are prepared to ignore copyright and abuse intellectual property rights when it suits them, considering their entire livelihood exists due to the sale of their own IP and reliance on copyright protection of their works.

I agree.

Epson's revenge may be in at least one difference between the service manual and the owner's manual. Page 13 of the service manual says "When transporting the printer, the print heads must be capped, and the ink cartridges removed."

The owner's manual steps you through capping the heads for shipment, but says [p. 101] "Caution: Do not remove the ink cartridges.

Along with the rest of our household, my 3800 was trucked from Phoenix to High Point, NC [near Greensboro]. Cartridges in place, as I was cautioned to do.

Haven't set the printer up yet. Too much other stuff to do. But we'll see.

Mike

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »

Since the estimate I got to have the print head and head cleaner cleaned is around $100, I am going to go that route rather than take matters into my own hands and risk screwing something up in the printer (that is a pretty complicate machine).  Needless to say, I am extremely relieved that I will not have inadvertently participated in an activity that would be using the fruits of a violation of Epson's intellectual property rights.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:15:53 pm »

To clarify, I wasn't having a go at folks here or at users who Google things and find them.  It's the people who put this material up that are really the problem.  Most users wouldn't know that it wasn't supposed to be there, for example.

Glad that you have a low cost solution - hope it all works out!
Phil Brown

chaddro

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

Although I do see and understand this point which is valid as stated, I do not understand why Epson will not make these manuals readily available like other manufactures do. I have a 42" HP at work that I easily rebuilt (not nearly so complex as a 9890 though) with manuals provided directly by HP's support site, and readily available AFFORDABLE replacement parts that I could purchase direct from HP for a printer years out of warranty.

Once your machine is out of warranty, there should be no hindrance to repairing your own property-if capable and willing to take the risk. Just my take on things.

MichaelWorley

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:58:08 pm »

I think I said I'd check back in about how my 3800 fared after being transported 2,250 miles in an Allied Van Lines trailer, where it also sat for several days in bad weather.

In short, the movers picked everything up on 12/23/11 near Phoenix and delivered it on 1/5/12 near Greensboro NC and the 3800 is doing fine after being transported with ink cartridges left in. One nozzle check and one cleaning cycle just to be sure.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up