Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA271W help - Is this normal? WillH???  (Read 17556 times)

howardm

Re: NEC PA271W help - Is this normal? WillH???
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 12:04:16 pm »

I should really collect some info and take notes since I have both SVII and BasICColor and a PA241W but recently when I was chasing a color profile bug (apparently in Lion, there is an intermittent bug in OpenGL where if you open an image in PS (CS5) and move it to another screen, the correct color profile is not applied.  This manifests itself as either desaturated or LSD-induced overload depending on the direction of the movement.  Shutting off OpenGL in PS eliminates the bug (as does CS6Beta I think))

I couldn't be 100% sure if the Basic profile was driving the internal LUTs (except for the config screen that let you choose Hardware config) but when I later ran Multiprofiler, there was a discrepancy between the screen luminance values and there was no pre-defined Mode like when SVII does it's thing.

lpr

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »

HI Will.
I have a question I have been trying to get an answer to for a really long time. I keep reading that the PA series is very different in Europe and it's kinda confusing me a lot ...
I bought a PA-241W in France last year.  As you might know, here,  the PA models come in two categories, as they are also sold under the spectraview reference brand for more money, with a screenhood and the NEC puck and a somewhat obscure statement from NEC that the reference screens have been hand picked by NEC.
Now,  doing some research I have come to read many places that there is strictly nothing different with the hardware of both models and the seller confirmed that to me but I also read somewhere that only the reference model allowed for hardware calibration and the other PA ( mine ) only softwear.
To be honest it all seems very obscure to me and I was wondering if you could tell me what really is the difference.
Also, I am about the buy a puck and am leaning towards the i1Display Pro, the  SpectraSensor Pro Color Calibration Sensor
  and the colormunki DISPLAY.  Will the colormunki DISPLAY work with spectraview2 or does just the i1Display Pro and colormunki photo and design will work?

Thank you!
LPR

chrismurphy

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 07:41:48 pm »

All PA models are supported by MultiProfiler so you might give that a shot. On my PA241W that's what I'm using.

lpr

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:43 am »

Yes I have that but is multiprofiler doing a hardware calibration on the PA?

howardm

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 09:00:46 am »

no.  MP doesn't do any hardware (puck) based calibration but it does modify the internals of the
display so you're halfway there.

Yes I have that but is multiprofiler doing a hardware calibration on the PA?

howardm

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:27 am »

you can check the manual for SVII software but I'm 99% sure they do NOT support the ColorMunki Display.

HI Will.
I have a question I have been trying to get an answer to for a really long time. I keep reading that the PA series is very different in Europe and it's kinda confusing me a lot ...
I bought a PA-241W in France last year.  As you might know, here,  the PA models come in two categories, as they are also sold under the spectraview reference brand for more money, with a screenhood and the NEC puck and a somewhat obscure statement from NEC that the reference screens have been hand picked by NEC.
Now,  doing some research I have come to read many places that there is strictly nothing different with the hardware of both models and the seller confirmed that to me but I also read somewhere that only the reference model allowed for hardware calibration and the other PA ( mine ) only softwear.
To be honest it all seems very obscure to me and I was wondering if you could tell me what really is the difference.
Also, I am about the buy a puck and am leaning towards the i1Display Pro, the  SpectraSensor Pro Color Calibration Sensor
  and the colormunki DISPLAY.  Will the colormunki DISPLAY work with spectraview2 or does just the i1Display Pro and colormunki photo and design will work?

Thank you!
LPR

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 11:14:49 am »

Will the colormunki DISPLAY work with spectraview2 or does just the i1Display Pro and colormunki photo and design will work?

The ColorMunki Display is not supported by SpectraView. This is a limitation imposed by X-Rite.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 11:20:02 am »

I can't really speak on behalf of NEC Europe, however the display hardware is identical. The difference is with the overall package of monitor, certification, hood, software, and extra levels of support aimed at the European market.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

howardm

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 11:41:21 am »

Ah, so that is unlike the older i1D2 SV bundle situation where it seemed like the puck had different firmware that contained different matrices that were tuned to the NEC display

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

Ah, so that is unlike the older i1D2 SV bundle situation where it seemed like the puck had different firmware that contained different matrices that were tuned to the NEC display

Howard, Will can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think the colorimeter is at issue here. That model of colorimeter is custom-tuned for this display - that's the whole point, and would be so regardless of whether the user is in Europe or North America. It's the profile creation software that differs. 
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:37 pm »

I was reacting to Will's statement:

I can't really speak on behalf of NEC Europe, however the display hardware is identical

Since it was shown that the NEC SV i1D2 'version' didn't perform well on non-NEC displays.
Just trying to minimize the # of pucks and overall cost where possible.  If the new i1DPro
does perform as well on NEC's as non-NEC's, that's a big win

lpr

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:02 am »

Just to clarify .
Spoke to NEC europe technicians.

The PA series sold in europe all support spectravew II for hardware calibration , it just isn't SOLD here but if you buy it in the states it works fine.

The Munki Dispay indeed is NOT recognized by spectraview II due to Xrite's marketing strategies even though it is identical to the 1display pro which is.

:)

NancyP

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 11:17:02 am »

Newbie to CM and brand new owner of PA271W and SpectraSensor Pro and SpectraView II, reporting.
This combination's calibration process seems to be dead simple. After reading various color management books and fora, and getting a grasp of how complex the subject can be, I was pleasantly surprised by the straightforward calibration process. +1 for user friendliness at beginners' level.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up