Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 24mm ts-e II / bad quality?  (Read 8363 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: 24mm ts-e II / artifacts
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:15 pm »

Is this artifact reduced by going from a Canon 6D(my current camera body) to a more higher density pixel sensor like the Canon 5Ds and by how much?

Hi,

If we're talking about Aliasing artifacts, and the same focal length is used,  then yes the artifacts are less likely to occur.

The sensel pitch of the 6D is approx. 6.58 µm, and the sensel pitch of the 5Ds is approx. 4.14 µm. So the detail that is too small to be reliably resolved by the 6D, might be resolvable by the finer pitch of the 5Ds, which would avoid aliasing.

For aliasing to occur, the aperture must be wide enough to avoid diffraction blur, the focus must be perfect, and spatial frequency of the image detail must be equal or smaller than the so-called Nyquist frequency of the sensor. Camera or subject motion can also create enough blur during the exposure time to prevent too small detail from reaching the sensor.

So it's hard to predict how much less the risk is, but it is less likely to occur on the 5Ds under the otherwise same circumstances.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: 24mm ts-e II / artifacts
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2016, 02:40:36 am »

Hi,

If we're talking about Aliasing artifacts, and the same focal length is used,  then yes the artifacts are less likely to occur.

The sensel pitch of the 6D is approx. 6.58 µm, and the sensel pitch of the 5Ds is approx. 4.14 µm. So the detail that is too small to be reliably resolved by the 6D, might be resolvable by the finer pitch of the 5Ds, which would avoid aliasing.

For aliasing to occur, the aperture must be wide enough to avoid diffraction blur, the focus must be perfect, and spatial frequency of the image detail must be equal or smaller than the so-called Nyquist frequency of the sensor. Camera or subject motion can also create enough blur during the exposure time to prevent too small detail from reaching the sensor.

So it's hard to predict how much less the risk is, but it is less likely to occur on the 5Ds under the otherwise same circumstances.

Cheers,
Bart

I would mildly disagree. If the subject has texture in every frequency - which would be often the case eg. a feather or a skyscraper with lots of detail, then you are just pushing the aliasing further into the details by using a finer resolving sensor - until your lens contrast at the fine frequencies runs out. There is a reason why Mandelbrot called his book "The Fractal Geometry of Nature", and although he was a horror to deal with his maths are beautiful.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up