Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: “Capturing Research and Innovation for Health, Equity and Development”!  (Read 3855 times)

josephflorie

“The COHRED Group would like to announce the official launch of its first photo competition “Capturing Research and Innovation for Health, Equity and Development”!

This photo competition, held in the context of our upcoming Forum 2012, aims to bring to light innovative research projects and to illustrate their impact and value to people’s lives, in real circumstances. Selected photographs, representing research and innovation for health, equity and development, will be showcased at Forum 2012 in Cape Town. These pictures will be used to illustrate ways in which research for health can be brought to the next level through appropriate policies and investments.

We invite you to send in your submissions before the 29th of February and to send the word out to your networks today!

For more information visit our website http://www.forum2012.org/photo-contest

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com

What's the definition of "equity" in this context?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

The #1 definition in dictionary: the quality of being fair and impartial?

RSL

So we're going to "capture" fairness and impartiality? What fun!

popnfresh

Frankly, it sounds pretty vague and uninteresting to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:48:23 pm by popnfresh »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Frankly, it sounds pretty vague and uninteresting to me.

Maybe because you (we) are not the target audience. Instead, it is meant for "... all those working in the various areas of research for health – including social enterprises, research institutions, media practitioners reporting on health research and civil society organisations (CSO’s)..."

Rob C

So why the hell stick the notice here? We're only poor photographers, after all; you know, dumbos?

;-) or should that be ;-(

Rob C

popnfresh

So why the hell stick the notice here?
They were probably just posting on photo forum they could think of, regardless of how relevant it might be.

Rob C

They were probably just posting on photo forum they could think of, regardless of how relevant it might be.

Never! You mean, just like those printed papers that come into the mailbox here in Spain?  You know, for lessons in Easy English, for a new fridge after you've just bought one, a new tv set when you've just replace the kaput one you had for over a decade-and-a-half? Now I understand: spam.

Was a time, during WW2, that one eat Spam.

Welcome to the Internet, Home of the Bold Marketeer!

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

By the nature of the original post, my guess is that the OP should have placed this in the Coffee Corner and not here in User Critiques. It seems like a mistake on their part, assuming this isn't a troll that is, but it doesn't seem to be. They are looking for contributors, and putting messages on popular related forums is how it's done now. It's no surprise to me to see this post. Being able to see posts like this is part of what makes the interweb interesting. There is no other way I could have found out about this project. My day job is related to research so I was interested.

I find the reactions interesting though; web forum psychology is an interesting phenomenon generally. I thought Slobodan's comment was on point. Basically, if you're not interested in the project, well, you're not interested. That's not a reason for the OP not to make the request. It's not immediately obvious to me how I would take pictures to reflect the required themes, but I regard that as my failing, not the project's. Who knows what someone might come up with, maybe even me if I gave it some more thought.

The "Why post here?" comment from Rob C. is interesting and reflects something I see a lot on forums. (I don't mean to single you out Rob, you just happened to make the comment. It could easily have been someone else.) Eventually, participants begin to feel as if the place (forum in this case) is theirs in some sense, that they have some of the rights of ownership. So when something appears in which they have no interest, for whatever reason, people often make snide or even derogatory comments. Although I find this odd, I mean, just because you may not have any interest in something, does not mean it should not exist, but what's even odder is that after years of reading various forums, I am beginning to find this normal, and I don't think it should be. This does not apply just to photography. Similar things happen in motor sport forums, computer forums (there are still people who engage in the Apple vs Microsoft battle). Why should one's participation in a forum confer some right to decide what should appear in it? It seems to be a widespread thing though.  I have felt the same impulse, I'm not claiming to be immune.

To be fair, this is a comments section, and maybe the OP should have responded with some clarification after the first question or two, but I can see why they might choose not to. The "target" audience seems to have responded negatively, for no reason that's obvious to me. Had it been me, I wouldn't have come back either. Of course, maybe some people responded to the project organizers directly and that conversation is going on elsewhere, just not here.

--
Robert

Rob C

Robert

You are basically right: a sense of membership is probaby closer to it than one of ownership. I can undertand why it happens - just like any regular grouping of people, a kind of common interest and/or sense of place develops; different pecking orders establish themselves and folks learn with whom to converse and whom to avoid like the plague.

Over the years since my daugher gave me my first computer and dagged me, screaming, into the arena, I've grown rather fond of several people in a virtual world that I quite like. There's a hell of a lot to be said for it, one great advantage being that nobody is compelled to say the 'nice' thing, offer the comforting little white lie or whatever; awkward situations can simply be ignored and ruffled feathers eventually smooth themselves out. One can be present or not be present; there are no pressures to do this, that or the other. And, you can do it to music. I like that a lot. Even better, there is a huge pool of knowledge that is freely given - you have but to ask.

Therefore, I suppose that when somebody breaks into that scene with a straight request for something, an extraneous kind of demand, it can rankle a little bit because it feels like an abuse of sorts, even when it isn't meant as such, when it's known that it's not meant as such; it's a little like a well-intentioned stranger interrupting a private conversation on a train.

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

Quite right, membership is the better word, thanks.
--
Robert

RSL

Well said, Rob.

josephflorie

Hello All,
My apologies if posting the said content here has annoyed or seems like if I have not understood the forum.
I would like to justify myself for posting it here, I just posted here as it is a photography related forum and hence  I thought posting here would be of some interest to few photographers.
Once again sorry for my mistake if it it.
Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up