Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 BETA - Its here  (Read 46430 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Lightroom 4 BETA - Its here
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:18:58 am »

Adobe Lightroom 4 BETA.

High Level Summary of What’s New
Robust Video Support
Manage images by location with the Map Module
Simplified Basic Adjustments
Powerful new Shadow & Highlight controls
Additional local adjustments including Noise Reduction and White Balance
Soft Proofing Reinvented Woo Hoo!  ;D
Elegant Photo Book creation
Email from directly within Lightroom
Publish videos directly to Facebook or Flickr
Enhanced DNG workflows
Adobe Revel export workflow
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:27:53 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

Re: Lightroom 4 BETA - Its here
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 01:05:03 am »

First initial pass -  Very impressed at the way in which soft proofing has been implemented!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:08:00 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:31 am »

First initial pass -  Very impressed at the way in which soft proofing has been implemented!

Me too!!!
I was a bit afraid that they would provide a half baked softproof system, but as far as I can see it is really better than the softproof on PS (cs5 at least).

Best regards.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:14:22 am »

Just watched Andrew Rodney's video on softproofing with LR4.

Very, very impressive system.
Easy to use!!!

I will download the beta version myself shortly and begin to play.
Also intrigued to see how the new develop module features work.

If Adobe can deliver on all the advertised features this looks like a winner!

Regards

Tony Jay

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:28:18 am »

I'm so excited. These new features are just stunning: way beyond expected.  :o

Sorry to say that, but Photoshop is less and less useful for me, now  ;D

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:42:29 am »

Just watched Andrew Rodney's video on softproofing with LR4.

Agreed - Excellent video.

Andrew only just touches on it near the end of the video. But what I think is particularly cool is that once you have selected to view the soft proof image and have made the virtual copy to make adjustments to it - if you then hit the before /after compare mode (so you have the non-soft proofed image next to the soft proof) you can very easily tweak the soft proofed image to much better match the original - thats just a way cool feature that used to be a bit of a pain to do in PS as you had to duplicate the image, set it side by side and then match zoom and location.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:54:40 am »

Hi,

Regarding "soft proof" I tryed LR4 Beta, it crashed three times when I have selected any of my printer profiles. That has been reported to Adobe.

I use ColorMunki to generate printer profiles on Snow Leopard, perhaps LR4 Beta1 doesn't handle V2 profiles from XRite or "soft proof" only works on Lion?

It obviously worked in the video.

Best regards
Erik

Agreed - Excellent video.

Andrew only just touches on it near the end of the video. But what I think is particularly cool is that once you have selected to view the soft proof image and have made the virtual copy to make adjustments to it - if you then hit the before /after compare mode (so you have the non-soft proofed image next to the soft proof) you can very easily tweak the soft proofed image to much better match the original - thats just a way cool feature that used to be a bit of a pain to do in PS as you had to duplicate the image, set it side by side and then match zoom and location.
Erik Kaffehr

Josh-H

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:30:35 am »

Something I just noticed: When LR creates the virtual copy for soft proof adjustment it adds the printer and  profile name - very cool (and critical information). But, shouldn't it also add the rendering intent to the filename? Otherwise one is going to have to either remember.. or check again before making a print.

If you 'create a saved print' of the virtual copy in the Print module the rendering intent selected 'doesn't stick' to the file either. If it did it wouldn't matter so much that the rendering intent has not been included in the file name. Have I explained that well?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 05:47:19 am »

Softproofing is really well done and very easy to use… Fantastic, thanks a lot to the LR team.
I also love the additional controls in the brush and grad. Especially the white balancing…

Now, I have a few files (DNG or CR2 with XMP sidecar file) that crash Lightroom as soon as I try to convert them from process 2010 to 2012. Sometimes, unchecking "Remove chromatic aberrations" in "Lens Corrections" does the trick. I need to investigate further to understand why and when LR4 crashes.

To quote mac_paolo above, LR4 is beyond expectations, at least for me!
Francois

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:05:24 am »

It won't install on Windows XP.  That's a daft decision.
Do Adobe realise how big the XP user base is ?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:13:00 am »

The soft proofing tool looks like an improvement on any soft  proofing tool around. Maybe worth the time LR users had to wait for soft proofing. I think that the monitor gamut influence certainly adds to the improvements here if soft proofing can/should be trusted a 100% as some claimed. Not a claim I ever made in the past but with LR4's soft proofing I think proof prints can be much more limited than possible with any program so far.
It does not show the Print Adjustments that will be linked to the profile if wished but that new feature has many risks in itself in my opinion. If it is used to cover up CM flaws in the workflow or worse, inconsistencies in the printer output, then the remedy may be worse than the problem itself. Qimage's Print Filter, that can do more, is easily used wrongly as well and the effect is not shown in the soft proof either. But with Q it is not linked to the profile used and one can easily check whether the print filter tool is active or not. There are Print Filter tools that have no influence on the CM or are used when CM is not used so that Qimage feature differs in more ways.

While LR4 can save some print descriptions, the convenient Qimage print logs still offer much more information and interactive control it seems, I have to check that more thoroughly though.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Marlyn

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 07:23:43 am »

It won't install on Windows XP.  That's a daft decision.
Do Adobe realise how big the XP user base is ?

I'm sure they do, but at some point people have to move on. Continuing to support XP, as now 10+ year old operating system, probably puts undue cost/strain on resources.  There are fundemental underlying differences between XP and W7 that cause developers all sorts of hassle in maintaining compatibility.   This has been comming for a while with many products and IMO, you will see XP dropped more and more.   In order to make proper use of the new things, you have to drop XP. (otherwise you would have to do something a 'new' way, AND an 'old' way for backwards support).

XP is also now only marginaly supported by Microsoft pretty much.  Mainstream support ended in 2009, extended is due to end in 2014.

Speaking as a manager of software teams,  at some point you just have to bite the bullet and move on.      I don't think it is at all unreasonable of Adobe to say 'you want to use LR 4, need something more than XP'   I highly doubt (personal oppinion only), they will loose and appreciable number of sales over such a decision.

Regards

Mark.

Rhossydd

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 08:19:38 am »

Continuing to support XP, as now 10+ year old operating system,
It was still being sold as the supplied OS on new systems in 2009. They might have stopped shipping it now, but it's still a popular OS in actual use.

TinFoilSkin

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:31 am »

Quick question: anyone know approx. when Lightroom 4 will be officially released? might hold off getting LR3 now if it's not too long to wait. They say the Beta will end in March, so will official release be soon after?

Rhossydd

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 08:50:42 am »

They say the Beta will end in March, so will official release be soon after?
That's been the case with the last betas for version 2 & 3. We only had to wait for V1 if I remember correctly.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:59:23 am »

Hi,

Regarding "soft proof" I tryed LR4 Beta, it crashed three times when I have selected any of my printer profiles. That has been reported to Adobe.

I use ColorMunki to generate printer profiles on Snow Leopard, perhaps LR4 Beta1 doesn't handle V2 profiles from XRite or "soft proof" only works on Lion?

Hi Erik,

Clearly this is unexpected and unintended behavior and something we (Adobe) have to work out.  The Lr 4 beta should handle X-Rite V2 profiles fine, and soft proofing should work on all systems that mean the listed min specs (not just Lion).  It works on my 10.6.8 systems, for example.  In any case, thanks for sending the bug/crash reports.
Eric Chan

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 09:01:25 am »

[XP] was still being sold as the supplied OS on new systems in 2009. They might have stopped shipping it now, but it's still a popular OS in actual use.
Roughly one third of the computers browsing the net run XP according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Web_clients... (another third to 7, the rest being spread between all others).

I also would hope that LR4 could install under XP, but won't hold my breath either.

might hold off getting LR3 now if it's not too long to wait.
If there still is a big discount on LR3, the net cost of discounted LR3 (<200$) +  LR4upgrade (100$?) might be less than a full LR4 license (300$ or maybe more?)... But who knows?
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:08 am »

Something I just noticed: When LR creates the virtual copy for soft proof adjustment it adds the printer and  profile name - very cool (and critical information). But, shouldn't it also add the rendering intent to the filename? Otherwise one is going to have to either remember.. or check again before making a print.

If you 'create a saved print' of the virtual copy in the Print module the rendering intent selected 'doesn't stick' to the file either. If it did it wouldn't matter so much that the rendering intent has not been included in the file name. Have I explained that well?

Hi Josh-H,

The reason Lr 4 Beta stores the render intent is because the render intent affects the image rendering (sometimes to a large degree, depending on the profile).  This in turn influences the output-dependent edits that you make, based on the soft proof preview.  

The good news is that Lr 4 Beta will not only remember the render intent, but it will also apply that render intent when you go to Print module to print the image.  I acknowledge this is not obvious, but the tooltip for the Perceptual/Relative Colorimetric buttons in the Print Job panel explain that "Proof copies matching this color profile will use their own intent."  That way, you don't have to be burdened with remembering which intent you used for a given proof copy.  Lr 4 Beta will take care of that for you.

Note:  this also means that if you have a batch of images you want to print (e.g., 10 images), and you want to print some of them with relative colorimetric and others with perceptual, you can now do that in a single print job.  Before in Lr there was no way to do that.
Eric Chan

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 09:10:49 am »

Roughly one third of the computers browsing the net run XP according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Web_clients... (another third to 7, the rest being spread between all others).

Well, buy Microsoft stock then, hope for massive upgrades to Win 7, and sell the stock afterwards to neutralize (or better) the purchase price of one's own upgrade ...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up