Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 BETA - Its here  (Read 46438 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Lightroom 4 BETA - Its here
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:04 pm »

If I load up LR4 it uses the .xmp sidecar files to load previous changes.  If I make changes to those files, does that invalidate the .xmp sidecar files for LR3?  Will I see the warning about some other program making changes?  Or does the sidecar file maintain both the 2010 rendering and 2012 rendering separately so LR3 won't have a problem.

Also curious about a timeline for ACR (if anyone can say)   I currently go to PS with smart objects so I can modify my raw conversion in ACR, hoping a compatible ACR is possible about when version 4 is released.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:28 pm »

Alright, more like it should be. Ian Lyons' comments on Print Adjustment emphasises a link to the profile "These adjustments are stored per printer profile, not per photo" and that may not be correct (or not telling all) given your explanation. I did understand that Print Adjustment is not saved with the proof copy settings which is understandable and it should not be saved with any photo either. I gather now that the print template more or less resembles one of the print log recall features of Qimage but Ian Lyons indicates that there is no visual feedback of Print Adjustment in Lightroom. I would expect that at least the user is informed that a Print Adjustment is used, also when the print template is used again. I have to try the print template and wonder how it copes with HP Z drivers, they tend to disobey recalled settings.

Hi Ernst,

Ian's comment about the print adjustments being stored per printer profile is correct.  (They're not stored per proof copy / photo.)  This is to help users who have very basic Print workflows and don't use print templates.  For example, if you only print to two papers, and you're used to toggling between them manually in the Print Job panel (via the Profile popup, to select the appropriate profile), then Lr's Print module will remember your print adjustment settings on a per-profile basis.  This is because the amount of brightness/contrast boost you may need is dependent on your media.  
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »

Generally, we try to move things forward smoothly from Beta to Release versions.  However, there's no guarantee that edits made in the Beta version will produce the same visual results in the Release version.  That's because we're still making some changes (based on feedback, bug fixes, etc.) under the hood.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

I am sitting at an airport and playing with LR4. I just noticed that manual CA correction is gone! This very bad news for underwater photography since lens ports and the water-air interface generate CA that needs to be fixed manually.

Try using the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" checkbox in the Profile panel.
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »

Question, what does the new 'White' tool do?

Whites is a clipping tool.  If you drag it to the right, more of your highlights will become "pure white" as they clip. 
Eric Chan

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:46 pm »

I know real men don't read instructions ( ;D), but if you spend 2 minutes reading over some of the notes and spend a few minutes watching some of Julieanne Kost's vids on the Adobe YouTube channel , a lot of your questions would be answered!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2012, 11:55:32 pm »

Hi,

I was thinking about LR 4 B1 crashing all the time for me, so I tried to run it on an administrative account on my Mac, all problems went away.

Possible causes:

- Does LR4 need administrative rights? Would surprise me!
- I was running it from a different disk. Normally I use a disk which is "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)" but it seems to me that Adobe products many have issues with Case-sensitive disks.

I have a "solid" background in UNIX/Linux, so I feel case sensitive is preferred.

I will post this information formally to Adobe, just wanted to mention it also on the forum.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 12:01:46 am »

It won't install on Windows XP.  That's a daft decision.
Do Adobe realise how big the XP user base is ?

Sorry Rhossydd, it is the XP user base which is daft. I'm typing this on a (XP) netbook which I very occasionally travel with. XP vs Win7 is basically a "vinyl vs cd" or "film vs digital" discussion.

I think (by comparison) it can accurately be called the Playskool version of Windows.

Friend, join the modern era. You'll enjoy it.

Bob.
Bob
 ht

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:27 am »

Question, what does the new 'White' tool do?
As I understand it, the Exposure slider is now the primary exposure tool, combining both exposure and brightness.  The Shadow and Highlight sliders replace the recovery and fill light sliders, although they're smoother, more robust than their predecessors.  The black slider and the white slider are for setting black point and white point.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 12:49:15 am »

As I understand it, the Exposure slider is now the primary exposure tool, combining both exposure and brightness.  The Shadow and Highlight sliders replace the recovery and fill light sliders, although they're smoother, more robust than their predecessors.  The black slider and the white slider are for setting black point and white point.

Correct...but don't neglect Contrast ad Exposure...otherwise you'll be flailing around and not getting optimal results...

The "best" approach is to do a top down adjustment set while understanding that some settings will need additional adjustments.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:59 am »

Hi,

Or you can just dump Windows for a friendly Mac?  ;-)

No, I'm not joking, going from XP to W7 is a major transition, and going from XP to Mac OS/X is also a major transition, so it may be an opportunity to find out what serves you best.

Best regards
Erik

Sorry Rhossydd, it is the XP user base which is daft. I'm typing this on a (XP) netbook which I very occasionally travel with. XP vs Win7 is basically a "vinyl vs cd" or "film vs digital" discussion.

I think (by comparison) it can accurately be called the Playskool version of Windows.

Bob.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Lightroom 4 BETA - Just three clicks
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2012, 01:14:03 am »

Hi!

I have tried LR4 on one of my difficult images and tone mapping works great!

The image here was achieved by just three clicks. Exposure, Shadows and Highlights.

Best regards
Erik

Adobe Lightroom 4 BETA.

High Level Summary of What’s New
Robust Video Support
Manage images by location with the Map Module
Simplified Basic Adjustments
Powerful new Shadow & Highlight controls
Additional local adjustments including Noise Reduction and White Balance
Soft Proofing Reinvented Woo Hoo!  ;D
Elegant Photo Book creation
Email from directly within Lightroom
Publish videos directly to Facebook or Flickr
Enhanced DNG workflows
Adobe Revel export workflow
Erik Kaffehr

Fish_Shooter

• http://www.salmonography.com/
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:24 am »

Try using the "Remove Chromatic Aberration" checkbox in the Profile panel.

It does seem to work even though the lens I was fixing is not profiled (EF8-15) plus I was using it under water (in a housing, i.e., additional optics). Very disconcerting not having any control (no sliders). Maybe it should not be under profile??? I was trying to do CA under manual corrections.
Thanks
Tom

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:55 am »

If the whites tool is for white clipping, what does a minus setting of the highlights tool do in comparison?

Next question if possible, do the zero value of the tools in LR4 reflect the default values of LR3? For example the default of the blacks in LR3 is 5. Is the 'zero' of the new blacks tool the same as 5 in the old or is it real zero? Ditto with the contrast tool whose default used to be 25? Is the new zero the equivelent of zero in the old tool or 25 of the old tool?

Thanks!

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2012, 04:12:58 am »

You reinforce my point, there you are using an XP netbook. Are you mad ? no. Why would you pay £100 to upgrade to W7 on that when it represents nearly half the purchase cost when it's still doing 'valuable' work with XP.
Whether XP is a "playskool" version is debatable. I think you're wrong. In the real world of Lightroom use there's really hardly any difference at all between W7, Vista and XP.

What's daft is Adobe spending a lot of resources testing it on an alpha OS (Windows 8) that isn't even yet in beta or feature complete, a long way from market and an even longer way away from being 'mass market'. Whilst abandoning the most widely used OS in the world.
It wouldn't be quite so bad if the installer wasn't so dictatorial; OK tell me it's not supported or recommended, but at least let me see if it will work for me.
The netbooks generally don't meet LR3's requirements, but you can install to them and they work fine. In fact I've probably done as much productive LR work on my netbook as I have on my main W7 system.

I might have some sympathy if this version was as good as all the others, but so far it's crashed more than every other LR install I've had since LR beta1.

Rhossydd

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:00 am »

going from XP to W7 is a major transition,
No it isn't. It was simple, straight forward and needed hardly any extra learning. All of my old software worked, even going from 32bt to W7 64bt, and the only bit of kit that I couldn't get drivers for was an old spectrophotometer scanning table that needed a serial port and 32bit drivers (so that continues to run happily on my XP netbook).

Yes, I've got a Mac already. I don't particularly like it and don't want to be forced into the continual paid upgrades Macs need. Should I remind you of the problems so many people report here of colour management issues with Mac OSs and different drivers ? or people's problems with backward compatibilities with X-Rite kit etc. Just remember the outrage here when Adobe pulled the 'no color management' option from their print options in CS5 , which made printing profiling targets harder. It was done cross platform just because OSX was giving it problems.
You're welcome to your choice of kit.

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:06 am »

You reinforce my point, there you are using an XP netbook. Are you mad ? no. Why would you pay £100 to upgrade to W7 on that when it represents nearly half the purchase cost when it's still doing 'valuable' work with XP.
Whether XP is a "playskool" version is debatable. I think you're wrong. In the real world of Lightroom use there's really hardly any difference at all between W7, Vista and XP.

You sound like a good guy (especially with your mac comment!). I'm not having you on for the sake of it.

The fact that LR "looks" the same on these different OS's is obvious. But how well/fast it works under the hood is another story all together. LR is a memory and disk access intensive program. XP was designed in an era when LR didn't even exist (far as I know).

Just try it.

As far as Win7 or LR3 on the netbook, yes, that would be mad. I'm using it to access the web and store files. Painful as it is to go back to XP land, I'm doing it because it is the smallest/lightest machine I have.
Bob
 ht

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 08:14:14 am »

Michael, the LR4 video preview was great. Thank you for doing it. Go LR!
Bob
 ht

Wills

• Wills
    • Wills Wilson commercial photographer
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 08:17:40 am »

Question on the new beta is it multicore or core image aware?
Wills
Wil

Rhossydd

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 08:33:47 am »

Question on the new beta is it multicore or core image aware?
It works with all 4 cores here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up