Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Designjet long beep and stuck at 0% after belt change  (Read 4028 times)

Mark Potter

Z3100 Designjet long beep and stuck at 0% after belt change
« on: January 09, 2012, 09:32:43 am »

I went to change my belt and followed the great video posted by kaelaria - THANKS! after getting everything back together I turned on the printer and it booted fine told me to add the ink cartages and print heads (forgot those when reassembling) it started the INITIALIZING PRINT SYSTEM then stopped and threw a code that said to restart and if persist call HP service. I don't recall the code # but it was different than the formatter that I just replaced.

So I switched off the printer and back on and all I get is the beep going continuously and LCD never moves from 0%

Any help or direction to take would be greatly appreciated!

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: Z3100 Designjet long beep and stuck at 0% after belt change
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:10:36 pm »

I don’t have a direct answer but often when a computer initializes and almost immediately fails, it’s because the processor can’t get to a core component it needs such as RAM, ROM, drive(s), or other basic i/o it inter-acts with; in turn, this problem is often due to one or more faulty connections.

As a suggestion, review the guide you used again, and re-check that all electrical connectors are physically connected in the right places and especially that they are fully seated. Be sure to power down, make sure that any residual power has drained, and then remove and re-seat connectors.

Mark Potter

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:33:32 pm »

Justin,

thanks for the suggestion. I have gone thru and confirmed all connections. the printer was going thru it's normal start-up and I had just finished installing the ink cartridges and print heads thru the printer LCD prompts when it told me to re-start. That's when now it just's sounds a solid beep and sit's a 0%.

UPDATE: if I unplug the trailing arm wires the printer will load it's system to 100% then when it goes to start to move the carriage assembly it says to restart and gives a code of 21:10 that is trailing wires, plug them back in and it's back to the continuas beep and sit's a 0%

ALSO: I notice that the print head carriage is not locked in on the right and the ink wells are no longer exposed as it was when originally started the belt removal but I wonder if that because the print was not able to finish re-setting itself before the systems said to restart?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »

ALSO: I notice that the print head carriage is not locked in on the right and the ink wells are no longer exposed as it was when originally started the belt removal but I wonder if that because the print was not able to finish re-setting itself before the systems said to restart?

I have no experience with repairs like that but I can imagine that it calibrates the head carriage position as a first step. If that is not done correctly the other steps will be impossible. On Epsons the decoder strip sensor was zeroed in on the end of an opaque metal strip before it started to count on the decoder strip and by that it could find the capping station position etc. Some filth on the decoder strip or similar issues could cause this.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Mark Potter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:18:15 pm »

I have no experience with repairs like that but I can imagine that it calibrates the head carriage position as a first step. If that is not done correctly the other steps will be impossible. On Epsons the decoder strip sensor was zeroed in on the end of an opaque metal strip before it started to count on the decoder strip and by that it could find the capping station position etc. Some filth on the decoder strip or similar issues could cause this.

Thanks for the suggestion, I went back and reviewed the encoder strip and it's clean. I do know that when it first started that the carriage made a full pass left and right first thing most likely doing what your referring to.

namartinnz

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 10:41:23 pm »

I've just finished installing a new belt on my Z3100 this weekend, ended up replacing the encoder strip and paper cutter as well (and thanks also to Kaeleria for the video!). I had the 21.10 error on startup, reseated carriage data cable and was fine. Are you booting up for calibration tests first? Hold power on, OK button and up arrow at the same time when turning on. I didn't have the long beep or boot freeze at any time. Certainly important to calibrate. First prints thru today seem perfect - my old belt was totally buggered with all the teeth disintegrating big time - no more spots on my prints...

Neal

Mark Potter

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:55:59 am »

I've just finished installing a new belt on my Z3100 this weekend, ended up replacing the encoder strip and paper cutter as well (and thanks also to Kaeleria for the video!). I had the 21.10 error on startup, reseated carriage data cable and was fine. Are you booting up for calibration tests first? Hold power on, OK button and up arrow at the same time when turning on. I didn't have the long beep or boot freeze at any time. Certainly important to calibrate. First prints thru today seem perfect - my old belt was totally buggered with all the teeth disintegrating big time - no more spots on my prints...

Neil, Thanks for the input! I have reseated the carriage data cable and the encoder strip looks fine, but may need replacing? How did you know you needed a new encoder strip?

After the original reassembly I started the printer to do the calibration test (was not aware of hold down the sequence of buttons) everything started up fine, I had to re-install the inks and printheads and the printer did prompt me for them, after their installation the printer went into Initializing Print System and durring that is when I got the restart with code and when I restarted is where I am now with it sitting at 0% and what I call a long beep but what sounds like is the single start up beep but rapid and continuous. I have discovered that if I unplug the carriage data cable the printer boots up fine and loads to 100% then gives me a carriage data code since the cable is unplugged, but when I plug it in back it's back to rapid beeping and 0%?

I just spent $750 on a new formatter board last month and I called and got a quote on getting a tech to come look at it and it's $375+parts to get him here for 2hrs then $75 per hr after to keep working...

Rocco Penny

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 11:57:12 am »

Start through the service menu?

Mark Potter

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »

Start through the service menu?

Rocco, I am not understanding your question - service menu?

Rocco Penny

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 02:24:34 pm »

Hey there,
yes,
not qualified to do much more than parrot the instructions as read and understood by myself notwithstanding all omissions errors or reported non-operation or results of the intended outcome-
READ the service manual.
Not scan or look over,
but really read and understand the material.
It's only a few hundred pages.
Then go ahead and enter and perform the service scan and menu items the replacement of the belt employs.
If it doesn't allow you to,
IDK how to get back to the beginning.
If allowed,
run the service diagnostics and tests from the point you haven't done anything yet.
If you can run the service tests you can diagnose the machine.
Read the manual first.

Mark Potter

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 02:41:40 pm »

Hey there,
yes,
not qualified to do much more than parrot the instructions as read and understood by myself notwithstanding all omissions errors or reported non-operation or results of the intended outcome-
READ the service manual.
Not scan or look over,
but really read and understand the material.
It's only a few hundred pages.
Then go ahead and enter and perform the service scan and menu items the replacement of the belt employs.
If it doesn't allow you to,
IDK how to get back to the beginning.
If allowed,
run the service diagnostics and tests from the point you haven't done anything yet.
If you can run the service tests you can diagnose the machine.
Read the manual first.

thanks for the explanation,

I have been going over the service manual and trying to understand as much as possible and trying all the limited solutions it suggest.
I have reviewed all steps in the carriage belt replacement along with the video I followed, did not run into any problems, printer started up fine, went to Initialize Print System and thru re-start code.
Nothing can be done thru or with the printer - turn it on, get rapid/continuous start-up beep and printer menu sits at 0%

namartinnz

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:40 pm »

I just spent $750 on a new formatter board last month and I called and got a quote on getting a tech to come look at it and it's $375+parts to get him here for 2hrs then $75 per hr after to keep working...

I can't give much more advice apart from the above about systematically reading the manual regarding diagnosing the issue. As for the encoder strip, it was quite messy and when I gave it one too many vigorous cleans  it took some of the data lines off. Needed replacing anyway as the printer would periodically give false paper jams - caused by the old encoder strip.

Interesting regarding the data cable - then getting the issue with the beeps - that's a new one to me. It still annoys me that we have to perform the belt change when it looks as it's only lasting 10-12% of its supposed life cycle.

Neal

Mark Potter

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 03:24:35 pm »

I can't give much more advice apart from the above about systematically reading the manual regarding diagnosing the issue. As for the encoder strip, it was quite messy and when I gave it one too many vigorous cleans  it took some of the data lines off. Needed replacing anyway as the printer would periodically give false paper jams - caused by the old encoder strip.

Interesting regarding the data cable - then getting the issue with the beeps - that's a new one to me. It still annoys me that we have to perform the belt change when it looks as it's only lasting 10-12% of its supposed life cycle.

Neil, thanks for the info about the encoder strip, I'll watch for that! I was hoping someone had ran across the rapid/continuous beeps and/or 0% start-up but It's looking like I am going to need to get a tech out here, just hope it's not expensive!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:36:53 pm by Mark Potter »
Pages: [1]   Go Up