Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing a destination to photograph (and fly fish)  (Read 8334 times)

adam z

Choosing a destination to photograph (and fly fish)
« on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:12 am »

I started a blog last September following my progress in a major long term personal project to uncover a fly fishing hotspot that is equally wothy as a landscape photography location. I am initially using Google maps to scan the globe, and then researching all the likely looking destinations before eventually settling on one location. Hopefully after spending some time both fiishing and photographing the location, I will be able to put together an exhibition and perhaps write a book (most likely of more interest to fly fishermen rather than photographers).

The reason I am posting about it here is to get some ideas on a possible location, I am hoping someone here may have a suggestion or two. Perhaps someone even may be able to give me some suggestions on improving my searching technique.

Please feel free to check out the blog for more details, here is a link to the very first post here

And the about page

Hope you enjoy, and perhaps have some suggestions for me.

Thanks

Adam
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:41:57 am by adam z »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Choosing a destination to photograph (and fly fish)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »

Montana/Wyoming, anywhere in or around Yellowstone or Grand Teton National Parks.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »

No personal experience, but I have heard some great things about fishing and scenery in Argentina, I believe Patagonia specifically. Then there's always New Zealand!

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:31:21 pm »

There's Hot Creek near Mammoth in California's Eastern Sierra:

http://www.hotcreekranch.com/

I don't fly fish, but I can at least vouch for the scenery in Owens Valley and environs  ;D

Paul

ps: Oops, just noticed you live in Australia.  If you ever make up this way, there are a number of LuLa members who are familiar with the "Range of Light" and can give you good information.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:36:52 pm by Paul Sumi »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35:21 pm »

Gallatin River, Montana.  "A River Runs Through It" was shot there.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »

The correct title is a "A River Somewhere". Join Australians Rob Sitch and Tom Gleisner (Frontline, The Late Show & The Panel) as they allow their passion for fly-fishing to take them around the world in search of exotic waterways.

More information on the DVDs here.

Episode Listing:
The Howqua River, Australia
Cotswold Hills, England & Altnaharra, Scotland
The D’Urville River, New Zealand
The Chamberlain River, Western Australia
Los Roques, Venezuela
Courmayeur, Valle D’Aosta, Italy
India & Bhutan
The Cobungra River, Victoria
Wyoming, United States of America
The Yarraki River, Queensland
The Yarraki River Continued
Tongariro River, New Zealand
Turneffe Islands, Belize

Cheers,
Tom Brown

adam z

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:26:14 am »

Thanks for the suggestions, only problem is I am looking to shed some light on somewhere that has been rarely photographed and rarely fished. The first place I have started researching in detail is Ascension Island in the South Atlantic. I can't find much high quality landscape work shot there, and the fishing seems to be under little pressure The video I just posted a link to on todays post is a few years old but is pretty incredible - a feeding frenzy in what is essentially a big rock pool!

As for A River Somewhere, I own that series and have watched it numerous times. Most of the locations that Tom and Rob visit, even the more remote ones are established flyfishing destinations with guides and regular visits from travelling fly fishers.

There are plenty of places that they go that I would also like to go, but they do not fit the description of my project. Basically the more difficuly to access, the more likely a location will be to fit my criteria. Of course there are some exceptions such as North Sentinel Island in the Bay of Bengal which, according to this site (I will double check this detail at some point in the future however) is populated by one of the few remaining “uncontacted peoples” in the world. The Sentinelese are highly xenophobic and resist virtually all attempts at contact, frequently firing arrows at boats and helicopters that come too close to the island (sometimes killing the “intruders).

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 01:08:42 pm »

Somewhere along the three main rivers in Siberia (Ob, Yenisey, Lena) would fit the bill. Some of them have been thoroughly harnessed for electricity production downstream, but I'd imagine there's plenty of unspoilt nature upstream.

adam z

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:53:44 am »

Thanks Feppe, will check that out.

250swb

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 12:10:06 pm »

What about the River Wye in Derbyshire?

The 'Derbyshire' Wye is the finest trout river in the United Kingdom (possibly the world?), followed closely by the neighbouring River Lathkill. Both are only a few miles from the River Dove (as featured in the 'Compleat Angler' of Charles Cotton fame), and a few miles in the other direction is the River Derwent. Oh, and it is situated in the Peak District National Park, a hot spot for photographers, walkers, mountain bikers, and people who just like looking at the scenery or visiting stately homes.

Try here for an insight into fishing these rivers

http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.com/

Steve
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:14:02 pm by 250swb »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 01:22:42 pm »

Northern New Mexico.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:29 pm »

Alaska. Almost anywhere from Fairbanks south.

KHMamiya

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:13 pm »

The Norfolk, White and Little Red Rivers in central and northern Arkansas offer some of the finest trout fisheries in the U.S. World records for Brown trout set twice on different rivers there. The Ozark Mountains in the fall can be spectacular.

Ranger Rick

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 06:16:37 pm »

Colorado River in the Grand Canyon work?

Vladimir Steblina

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »

I fly fish and photograph.

The one location that has not been fish or photographed to death is Kamchatka.

I flew into the airport there.  The landscape was amazing.   Glaciers hanging on to erupting volcanoes.  Thermal features on the same level as Yellowstone.

A wildlife biologist friend spoke of the largest grizzly bear population in the world.  The world class fishing is well known now. 

Helps if you speak Russian.  Unfortunately, my business trip took me to Vladivostok.  Interesting city and country.  Think San Francisco, but Kamchatka is still in my dreams.

Vladimir
Retired Forester....rambling round
www.usbackroads.blogspot.com

elf

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »

+1 for Kamchatka. 

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 08:20:58 am »

I like the sound of both Alaska and Siberia but for those pesky mosquitos which are a nightmare!

What about Iceland?  Fabulous photographic location and world class fly fishing and no mosquitos.
David Watson ARPS

Vladimir Steblina

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:07:06 pm »

I like the sound of both Alaska and Siberia but for those pesky mosquitos which are a nightmare!

What about Iceland?  Fabulous photographic location and world class fly fishing and no mosquitos.

wimp....

If you go to Siberia it is the ticks not the mosquitos. 

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/10/06-0320_article.htm

During my trip I get a tick bite.  When I get home I ask my Dr. about the tick bite.  The diagnosis requires a spinal tap.  He told me IF I got a headache in the next 30 days to immediately call HIM.  I gave up drinking for a month, so I did not wake up with a headache from a hangover!!!

I filed an injury claim with the Federal Government.  I paid for the Dr.'s visit, just wanted it ON THE RECORD.  I was working on official government business so I needed to have the Fed's back me on this.  After 35 days...I got drunk as a skunk.

Ticks are serious in Siberia.  Don't travel in the woods during Tick season.  Private companies pay for vaccine's for their employees.  The United States government just sends their employees out there!! 

The Russian's stay out of the woods during tick season.  Read up on ticks and Encephalities before you go there.
Retired Forester....rambling round
www.usbackroads.blogspot.com

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »

The Frying Pan River, Pitkin County, Colorado.   It's world famous for fly fishing and it's just north of Aspen CO, the Maroon Belles, Mt Sopris and many other areas.   When you're done fishing, pop down to Glenwood Springs for a dip in the Hot Springs just off the Colorado River!    Need I say more??? :D

Where ever you go, have a great time and happy shooting!
Pages: [1]   Go Up