Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite - a dry and warm winter...  (Read 3499 times)

dreed

Yosemite - a dry and warm winter...
« on: January 07, 2012, 07:27:04 pm »

With both the Tioga Rd (Hwy 120) and Glacier Point Road still open, there are opportunities for the aware photographer that they may never have again.

For example, the attached picture comes from one of the Yosemite webcam's. It is not very often that anyone will get the chance to see or photograph the moon with this aspect relative to Half Dome, etc.

mhecker*

• Contributor
    • http://www.wyofoto.com
Re: Yosemite - a dry and warm winter...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »

Wow.   :o

Compare that to January last year.

See http://wyofoto.com/Pentax_645D/Pentax_645D_review_pt2.html

dreed

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:29 pm »

Quite a contrast.

For those that are able to get up to Yosemite this winter whilst all of the roads are open, count yourselves lucky for it may never again happen in our lifetime.

On the Yosemite NPS facebook page, a few people have posted pictures from the last day or so of the full moon and sunset/sunrise with Half Dome in the background. Wish that I could have been there...

The Photographer's Ephemeris tells me that for the past few days, the moon has been rising from almost directly behind Half Dome as seen from Glacier Point (which is still open!)

Consider it an opportunity to shoot the moon and Half Dome that Ansel Adams never had...

If folks are "lucky" then the next full moon in February may also be similarly accessible and from Sentinel Dome, the moon should appear to rise from behind Half Dome (or there abouts.)

Alas. I'm on the wrong continent :-(

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 05:22:48 pm »

I have a friend going to Glacier Point today, can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:57:03 am »

Was amazing while it lasted.  Roads are closed now, more for hazardous driving conditions (ice) than snow.  Probably won't re-open until late spring, but you never know.  California is severely "moisture deficient" so far this season!

mshea

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:05 pm »

My sense is that, unfortunately, this will become all too common as our climate warms. Sigh.

Merrill
Pages: [1]   Go Up