Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with dimensions/size of 3880  (Read 1536 times)

JeffNesheim

Help with dimensions/size of 3880
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:51:23 pm »

Hello,

I am considering an Epson 3880. I have a cart where the surface area is 26"x19". The width of the 3880 is listed at 27.36".
Will the 3880 fit on my cart? Are the feet inset enough to fit on the 26x19 space?

When it lists "covers open" (37.87" depth), how much of that is out the back? (i.e. how far would my cart need to be away from the wall?)

I'm moving up from an R2400. Will it seem significantly larger to me? I've also considered the R3000, which is closer in dimension to the R2400, but I'd really like the extra ink volume as well as wider printing sizes.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

leuallen

Re: Help with dimensions/size of 3880
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »

I have a 3800 next to me and a tape in my pocket! The width between the feet is about 25 inches. The depth is about 12. My printer sits on top of an old dresser and the front of the printer (exit paper shelves closed) is about 21 inches from the wall behind it - no problems, no rear paper feed-don't use. With paper shelves extended, it is about 39 inches from the back wall but this is closed most of the time except when printing.

I think it will fit the cart just fine. Go for it. One has a way of making things work when one has enough desire. My problem is to fit an i8300 into an 8x10 room with everything else in it. Maybe I can give up my bedroom and knock out the adjacent wall and use that area. Just not enough desire yet.

Larry

irvweiner

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 10:08:03 pm »

2 Suggestions:

Place a larger size board under the printer; +1 in or more on each side. This will permit you to easily lift the printer up/down a few inches to stir the ink in the carts. 

Place an old belt or strap under the printer or board; this too will allow you to gently 'shake' the carts to prevent settling of the pigment particles without removing the carts from the printer.

Now, enjoy the printer.

PS: I am now using the inkjetcarts refillable system + inks; an 80 ml equiv refill cost me ~$9 per cart. There are 2 other vendors supplying equiv quality refill systems:  InkRepublic and Inkjetfly.  Do a search here and on dpreview.com for more $aving info at hi quality.

irv weiner

AlanShaw

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:56:21 am »

Jeff, I have a 3880. The distance between the outside of the feet is just less than 25" so it should easily fit on your cart.

It sits 9" away from the wall which is far enough for me to open the rear feeder fully for A2 sheets.

I've not owned one of the smaller models, but I can say that it's a great printer. You won't regret getting it.

Best of luck, Alan.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:34:11 am »

3880 will fit on your cart.  I have one sitting on an Ikea Alex drawer set and the drawers hold boxes of 13x19 paper fine.  They are a touch too small for 17x22 paper unfortunately.

JeffNesheim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:34:46 pm »

Thanks, all for the input! Very helpful.

Alan, the Ikea Alex unit is *exactly* what I'm using for my printer, so it's good to know.

Thanks again for easing my mind.

-Jeff

FTNuser

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 02:46:08 pm »

Hi,

I've just purchased a 3880. It's arriving on Tuesday and I'm very excited (new toy!) I've owned an R2400 for the past 6 years and I've always been very satisfied with the results, but it's showing its age and moving up to the 3880 sounded like the best next step. I have a question: in at least two places (one may have been Luminous Landscape, but I'm afraid I didn't take note of where I saw this) the maximum print length was listed as 38". Since this printer doesn't use roll paper, a print that size would have to be cut from a roll, if in fact it can even be done. Does anybody on the forum know what the reality is? I do a lot of very wide landscapes and it would be great if I can combine the 17" width (or even the 16" front-loading width) with a length beyond 22".

Thanks

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:39:03 pm »

Hi,

I've just purchased a 3880. It's arriving on Tuesday and I'm very excited (new toy!) I've owned an R2400 for the past 6 years and I've always been very satisfied with the results, but it's showing its age and moving up to the 3880 sounded like the best next step. I have a question: in at least two places (one may have been Luminous Landscape, but I'm afraid I didn't take note of where I saw this) the maximum print length was listed as 38". Since this printer doesn't use roll paper, a print that size would have to be cut from a roll, if in fact it can even be done. Does anybody on the forum know what the reality is? I do a lot of very wide landscapes and it would be great if I can combine the 17" width (or even the 16" front-loading width) with a length beyond 22".

Thanks
Using the Epson print driver it is 38 inches.  You can cut differing lengths from 17 inch wide roll paper but make sure you decurl it before printing so that you avoid head strikes.

irvweiner

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »

I agree with Alan, max length is 37.4 in, though. I have been printing landscape/panos with the 3880 using Canvas and paper media in B&W and color. I purchase roll media and cut to size with a Rotatrim Mastercut 24 incher. I tried other cutters but they just tore the canvas or folded it over with ragged edges. It is very important to maintain your 2 working straight edges: the bottom and the right side. Feeding the thicker media, 18-24 mils can be frustrating, whether paper or canvas. My workflow starts with feeding the media into printer position by using the down arrow  (the southern position on the compass cross of 4 buttons) to 'prefeed'. I hold the media gently and help guide it, if it does not take the down arrow will eject it and you can try again. Once it 'takes' I then issue my print command and printing follows--again alignment is important. To avoid losing a large print due to misalignment I allow larger margins and use my Rotatrim cutter to reform the margins correctly.

Interesting psychological note, previously my other printer would allow a max print size of 13x24 which looked big. When I started printing my first 17x25 prints everything appeared 'humungous'--just loading the sheet into the printer and holding the finished print was awesome. I thought I had a wall mural in my hands!  After several more prints and days, these prints shrunk 'visually' to my eyes and were just a larger '13x19'. My one 17x34, done for test purposes, was quite impressive physically and still is. Several larger prints, 24x36 done prior to my 3880, I had outsourced. Yes they were darn big--but having been printed and handled by me were not awesome visually. Artistically and quality wise they were superb.

good luck with your new toy!!!   irv weiner

FTNuser

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 05:52:52 pm »

Thank you, Irv and Alan for the prompt replies. That's good news - the new toy will be even more useful than I thought. It's coming just in time for my second show - I'll need to do some late nights to learn its ways. Also good to hear it handles canvas in the extra length too.

I have a large Logan mat cutter that should work fine for slicing rolls. For decurling I suppose the old fashioned way will work (reverse it) but that's what we used in my art school days, back when we were using something called "film" in a "darkroom." If you have any thoughts on a better technique, please pass it on.

Thanks again!
melvin hoagland

FTNuser

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 05:58:09 pm »

One more question: Epson has a "Designer" edition of the same printer and there's just enough time for me to cancel one and order the other without losing any time on the delivery, but it's an extra $200, I'm not sure if it's worth it. Does anybody have any experience with Epson's "Designer" designation? Is it just a pretty face? Can I add the extras later if I find I need them?

Thanks,
melvin hoagland

alain

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »

I agree with Alan, max length is 37.4 in, though. I have been printing landscape/panos with the 3880 using Canvas and paper media in B&W and color. I purchase roll media and cut to size with a Rotatrim Mastercut 24 incher. I tried other cutters but they just tore the canvas or folded it over with ragged edges. It is very important to maintain your 2 working straight edges: the bottom and the right side. Feeding the thicker media, 18-24 mils can be frustrating, whether paper or canvas. My workflow starts with feeding the media into printer position by using the down arrow  (the southern position on the compass cross of 4 buttons) to 'prefeed'. I hold the media gently and help guide it, if it does not take the down arrow will eject it and you can try again. Once it 'takes' I then issue my print command and printing follows--again alignment is important. To avoid losing a large print due to misalignment I allow larger margins and use my Rotatrim cutter to reform the margins correctly.

Interesting psychological note, previously my other printer would allow a max print size of 13x24 which looked big. When I started printing my first 17x25 prints everything appeared 'humungous'--just loading the sheet into the printer and holding the finished print was awesome. I thought I had a wall mural in my hands!  After several more prints and days, these prints shrunk 'visually' to my eyes and were just a larger '13x19'. My one 17x34, done for test purposes, was quite impressive physically and still is. Several larger prints, 24x36 done prior to my 3880, I had outsourced. Yes they were darn big--but having been printed and handled by me were not awesome visually. Artistically and quality wise they were superb.

good luck with your new toy!!!   irv weiner

For my 3800 (the one before the 3880) I improved my edge guide (the small plastic piece than can be turned out on the right side of the paper holder) I made a small plastic cover to make it approx. 2 mm thicker while printing.  This improved my alignment.  I do use cotton gloves to guide the longer papers (cut from roll) until there feeded almost halfway.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up