Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corel does one more attempt  (Read 12288 times)

deejjjaaaa

Corel does one more attempt
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »

http://support.bibblelabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19655

Big News from Bibble Labs
Hello Friends and Customers,

As you have seen in these forums, things have been a little quieter around here over the last several months. We’ve just posted the final version of Bibble 5.2.3 – including support for 15 additional camera models and many additional improvements and bugs fixes. But that’s not the big news…

Earlier last year, Bibble Labs was purchased by Corel, one of the world’s leading developers of graphics, digital media and productivity software with titles that include CorelDRAW, WordPerfect, WinZip, PaintShop Pro , Painter and VideoStudio. This was something that I worked on for over a year, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. We've kept this confidential up until now- largely because we’ve been “heads down” working on product development- but we’re very excited to be knitting these two companies together. We’ll be making an announcement next week at CES, but as our supporters and customers, ya’ll are some of the first to hear about this.

Corel bought us for a couple of reasons. First, they were looking for a top-of-the-line technology to complement PaintShop Pro, their flagship photo editing solution. They were blown away by the speed of Bibble’s technology and saw the opportunity to invest even more in development and in bringing our technology to even more users- something that Bibble Labs simply couldn’t afford to do on our own. We’ve been working with the Corel team for the past few months and it’s clear they’re committed. They are excited about our technology and processing power, and the opportunities we see to take the product forward. They recently released PaintShop Pro to very strong user and industry reviews, and are now keen to offer photographers a powerful workflow and management solution. Corel knew there was no better match for them than Bibble.

All of us at Bibble have joined the Corel team. We're keeping Mac and Linux support and we’re staying in Austin. I’m now running product development for Corel’s new photo workflow solution that is based on the core Bibble technology. What’s even better is that I now have access to dedicated user interface and graphic designers who are helping to improve usability and make the product even better looking. I also now have a full QA team dedicated to product testing, along with documentation and localization teams, marketing and sales teams, and a huge, international distribution system to help get our technology the notice it deserves. We also have access to a customer support team to help provide the personal attention I had always wanted to provide, but couldn’t do on my own. Not only does this mean that many more folks are working on this product than ever have before, but it also means that all of us at the Labs can focus 100% on the core technology and the product.

I’ll be sending out a newsletter via email early next week with additional details from our announcement at CES, but I first wanted to share this great news with you!

As we gear up for CES and the launch of our new Corel-branded photo workflow and management solution, we’ll no longer be selling Bibble 5. The update we just posted for Bibble 5.2.3 is the last planned release of Bibble 5, and we’ll be in touch in the next few days with details about our new release, special offers and how you can take it for a test drive.

We’re excited about 2012 and introducing you to our extended team at Corel. It’s a great group of people who, like me and all of you, are avid photographers. Enjoy Bibble 5.2.3, and get ready for what we believe is our best release yet!

Cheers,
Jeff Stephens & the Bibble Labs team

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Corel does one more attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:18:13 am »

Didn't even know Corel was still in business. Last time I sent them an inquiry it went unanswered. Look at what Corel did to Ultimatte Knockout. Good luck Bibble.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »

Corel AfterShot Pro = http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4670071

"...To purchase the upgrade version of this product, you must own a previous licensed version of: Bibble Pro or Lite 5, Corel® Paint Shop Pro® Photo X2 or higher, Adobe® Lightroom® or Apple® Aperture®...."

Bob J

• Dyxum
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

I've been trying out AfterShot for the last month... I'm normally a DXO user.

On the whole I'm quite impressed - it works very well, although it doesn't do perspective correction (I guess they think you would do this in PSP?).  On the whole it gives the impression of being a less sophisticated tool than DXO, but useful nevertheless.

It is stonkingly fast at generating jpg files in comparison to DXO though, and is very competitively priced (esp if you have a recent Corel product)

jalcocer

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:17:34 pm »

I've read about some crashes while using the software, can you tell me if that has happen to you? and if so, how frequently? thanks

kkjensen

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:58:43 pm »

I've been using bibble for 2 years now and am not giving up on the Corel changes.  Bibble was a good program before but understaffed.  The core devs are staying in place and they are now supplemented by the Corel team for helping with polishing the fine details and user experience.  So far it's 99% the same up front and has a couple good tweaks to the color engine (just enough I can't blindly use my old catalogs) but so far things are looking good.  Most of the active plug-in devs (and even some of the old ones we hadn't heard from for awhile) are excited and porting their work to the new SDK.

The only show stopper is it's limited to 30MP and the new D800 is 36!  I guess they're going to have to tweak a thing or two concerning that limitation.

If you have any questions in particular, fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Bob J

• Dyxum
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:44 am »

The only 'glitch' I had was one corrupt conversion run where it fell over and gave me some very funky jpgs, but it only did that the once.

I have it running on a Windows 7 platform with a fair amount of memory and a Hex-core processor - I wonder if the crashes are on machines that are lower spec?

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:37:47 am »

ASP, as people are calling it, brings with it many of the long-standing problems that Bibble had (I've been a Bibble user since 2006, incidentally).

The key issues for me are these:

• image quality - particularly with newer Canon bodies, and especially at even moderately high ISOs - is really poor. They refuse to acknowledge it as the problem, but the demosaicing algorithm in ASP/Bibble is dismally bad;
  • highlight recovery is - to be blunt - crap, unless you want hard-edged, bright purple/pink highlights; and
  • a long-standing bug with Noise Ninja (which as an aside, you have to pay extra for if you want full control over NR functionality that other converters give you as part of the core package) still causes a pixel-wide stripe to appear at random along the edges of converted images (this being a bug that has been reported umpteen times by many Bibble users, going back to Bibble 4).

And while other people seem to think that user plugins are a good idea, they've been a crutch relied on by the developers for years to provide functionality and solutions to problems that really should have been sorted out as part of the core product.  
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:34:18 am by Keith Reeder »
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:00:31 pm »

The only show stopper is it's limited to 30MP and the new D800 is 36!  I guess they're going to have to tweak a thing or two concerning that limitation.
That is actually a TIFF/JPG limit. The raw limit is higher (defined by max edge length, but I keep forgetting how much).
But yes, lifting the TIFF/JPG limit is still needed.

On the whole I'm quite impressed - it works very well, although it doesn't do perspective correction (I guess they think you would do this in PSP?).
Check out zPerspector: http://aftershotpro.com/plugins/index.html?plug=zperspector

And while you're browsing the plugin pages, make sure to grab Wavelet Sharpen, Nostalgia, Wavelet Denoise and maybe a few more.

cheers
afx

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »

I have been trying it out on an elderly ultraportable linux laptop (after deciding that The Gimp is not for me). It runs decently fast and the GUI is relatively user friendly so I may well end up converting the trial to a purchase.
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up