Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: glossy screens  (Read 14411 times)

mediumcool

Re: glossy screens
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:05:06 am »

Michael,

Will you try on your 27 inch iMac and let us know about the result?  ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe very fine sandpaper?  8)
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:50:06 am »

When was the last time that you saw a print mounted under matte glass?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

mbalensiefer

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:26 am »

I'll do it!
 I just ordered some Matte HD anti-glare screen from Photodon.com. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:13 pm »

When was the last time that you saw a print mounted under matte glass?

I am not sure when was the last time I mounted a print behind glass at all, but on your point, these are 2 different things in my view:

1. You don't spend much time in front of a print, you spend hours in front of a screen,
2. Your computer time is typically related to a well defined deliverable which introduces the concept of productivity and concentration or lack of distraction,
3. In the lifetime of a print, it will most often be seen casually at an angle. Just think how much time you spend looking right at prints on your wall. Even the one I love I would say no more than a few minutes a month, but I look at them as I pass by,
4. The high end frames use glass with very low reflexions, much lower than your typical laptop screen.

Besides, a friend of mine claims that another goal of the reflective screen is to flatter our inflated egos and narcicism by enabling us to look at ourselves... he might in fact be right.

Cheers,
Bernard

K.C.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 01:57:09 am »

I have the current 27" iMac as well as legacy Mac pros with NEC displays that are essentially matte, at least a lot less reflective than the iMac. I work in a room where I have controlled the lighting so that iMac display shows so little reflection I don't ever think about it. Working side by side with the NECs color is effectively seamless from display to display. The subtly between them I'm familiar with and I can print from either and get the same results.

I feel it makes sense to change the environment and stop waiting for the industry to change the tools they're currently offering us.

mbalensiefer

Matte screen covers
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:22:04 am »

I placed a matte screen cover on my smaller laptop from Photodon.com to test it. So far I'd say it's an improvement; and definitely worth the 21 dollars it cost to buy it.

I just purchased one from Viewguard.com to see what vendor product my third purchase (which will cover my last laptop screen) warrants. The total price was 30.00.

mediumcool

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:37 am »

I'll do it!
 I just ordered some Matte HD anti-glare screen from Photodon.com. I'll let you know how it turns out.

10 days; anything happening?  :D

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

10 days; anything happening?  :D
Maybe he forgot to take the backing off and he can't see the screen anymore.  As he waits patiently for it to boot..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

mbalensiefer

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

...it's pretty nice, and worth the price. Before I put up pics or perform additional postings, I am awaiting the second cover from the competing company. :)

~Michael

mediumcool

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »

As he waits patiently for it to boot..

Troll Alert::)

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 07:37:46 pm »

Troll Alert::)
I didn't check, is it an Apple?  You guys are so sensitive..  :-\
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:33 pm »

hehe steve:  i almost missed that in the glare of a bright reflection on my macbook pro ;)  I did try their antiglare on an ipad, pretty forgettable.    my next macbook will be a 15" with the matte option.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:00:15 pm by John.Murray »

ewanqbl

• www.appledistrict.com
    • Apple District
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2012, 02:22:34 am »

You were saying about gamers and glossy screens. Dumbest idea in the whole world. Picked up an Asus with an i5 and GT555M, glossy screen, horrendous gaming result. I think the main reason why they put glossy screens is because people are idiots. To sum up: "Oh! Shiny!".

But, on a side note, I wouldn't acid etch my screen. So, how is that going? Have you tried it yet?
My side project www.appledistrict.com

Gigapixel

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2012, 04:40:36 am »

Because of the thick cover glass on almost any current glossy Mac and the induced distance from the LCD panel, "matting" the surface of the cover glass has the side effect of blurring the image of the panel. If you remove the magnetically fixed cover glass from an iMac, you will find that the LCD panel itself has a matte surface.

One exception is the Macbook Air, whose panel surface seems natively glossy (or at most covered with a very thin glass) with a quite effective simple anti-reflective coating.

The (probably too expensive) solution would be completely coating the cover glass with at least a single or yet better multiple lambda/4-layers (each cancelling the reflection of a specific wavelength) like it is done with most optical glass (and at least partly in the Macbook Air).

mediumcool

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2012, 05:17:46 am »

One exception is the Macbook Air, whose panel surface seems natively glossy (or at most covered with a very thin glass) with a quite effective simple anti-reflective coating.

I’ve read that the Air screens are less glossy, which may be a reasonable compromise. How thick is the cover glass on an iMac?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up