Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downloading compressed videos won't unzip  (Read 6134 times)

mailman7777777

Downloading compressed videos won't unzip
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:29:00 pm »

When I try to use Zipeg to extract the files I get an error message, "The files are corrupt or incorrect format"
How can I extract them?
I am using Firefox, should I be using another browser?

Thanks,
Owen
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:42:29 pm by mailman7777777 »

mailman7777777

Just tried Winzip
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »

and it wouldn't open the file either.

degrub

Re: Downloading compressed videos won't unzip
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:01:09 pm »

maybe a corrupt download. Try the download again.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »

The store server is currently bogged down with multiple file downloads - today being the last day of a Sale.

My guess is that the file is being corrupted in a very slow download

Our apologies. My suggestion is to wait 24 hours.

Let us know if you still have the problem tomorrow

Chris

mailman7777777

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:49:37 pm »

I just tried downloading 3 more videos, they all failed. They never reach the file size.
How do I disable the file manager?, and how do I track the progress of the download without it?
I've never had problems downloading files before.....

Owen ( really getting teed off now.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:03:14 pm by mailman7777777 »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »

Our apologies but the server load is still very high and downloads are being corrupted by customers trying to download more than one file at a time. It is important to download one file at a time, disable any added-on download manager and to re-boot your browser should a download fail.

The rush to download normally dissipates in 24 hours but in this case the volume of downloads suggests that 48 hours may be more realistic.

BTW the FAQ points most of this out.

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 01:40:01 pm »

FWIW there are currently 69 customers downloading files.

10 of these customers account for over 100 separate download streams.

In all likelihood every one of those downloads will be corrupted - a massive frustration for them and to others due to the wasted bandwidth.

It is a shortcoming of the Store server/shopping cart system but it is largely avoidable by downloading one file at a time.

Just sayin'

mondeo

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:24:11 pm »

For the record I am trying to download 1 file at a time, c2ps-01.zip which terminates before it completes - final size is 48Meg.
Incidently you deleted my message in the other thread - the thread I started prior to this starting.

I am sure the server could be configured to prevent more than one simulataneous download (like the rapidshre servers)

Despite trying about 10 times (each a single file at a time) in the last 24 hours I havent managed to download a single complete file.

I am sure it has occurred to you that if no body manages complete download the problem will extend well past 48 hours. I think you need to revisit your server stratergy and perhaps consider a backup stratergy such as fileshare / rapidshare in the short term.

Here's in hope !

mondeo

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »

Subsequent attemps and the download crapped out at 25Meg and 11Meg
Looks like its getting worse

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »

I'm waiting until next week some time to download the last few files. By that time Chris should have had a good night's sleep and be able to turn the crank faster.

Actually, I think I'll wait until at least 24 hours have gone past without a new post to this thread before I try to download.

Patience, people, patience!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mailman7777777

I apologize
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:50:43 pm »

Thanks for your reply, I thought maybe it was my new computer. It uses Windows 7 and I still don't even know how to add contacts to my emails yet.

I will wait a week or so till the rush dies down.

I would like to know how to disable the download manger though.

Thanks again,
Owen

mondeo

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 10:08:35 am »

Owen,

Dont think its you who should apologize !

Once again I have tried mutiple times to download single zip files. The downloads trickle along at 25 to 50 KB/Sec and always terminate before they are complete. They therefore wont open

The statement that they become corrupt because you are downloading multiple files is incorrect.

Slow download speeds are anoying but whats really pi**ing me off is that the downloads terminate early, why !!!

Seems like support is off for the weekend, probably dissappeared over the border to Mexico !

Seriously though, downloads could be divided into smaller files or a 'commercial server' used as a stop gap. I suspect this is too much effort for whats perceived as short term thing

I dont want my money back, I want the service offered

PS another dowload terminated just now at 50Meg, half way through !!!!

degrub

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:50:06 am »

Well, have a little more patience. There is only so much bandwidth in a server and the market is worldwide. i just tried to log in to the store and i am getting time outs. So you are getting a little further than i am. This is a popular site and the demand for the videos can be horrendous if folks wait until the whole series is complete or on sale  and then start downloading. Just a fact of life here.
Wait a week. The server will calm down and so will the frustration level.
An extract from the FAQ  -

" Q: Why is your server so slooow?

A: Some ISPs (Internet Service Provider) have bandwidth limits and so have a limit on the size of file you may download. They may also 'choke' or throttle back the download after you have used a certain limit during a period of time. Check with your ISP to see if this is the case. The solution is to use an unlimited account with your ISP or another ISP.

Download managers do not work with our secure shopping cart. If you have a Download Manger enabled and your downloads are failing, please disable it.

It is best if you download one file at a time. Multiple simultaneous downloads are much more likely to fail.

Occasionally customers have problems relating to the large quantity of data already on the hard drive to which the downloaded files are written. If your hard drive is 80% or more full, the browser may have difficulty writing the large download files. Should this be the case, try writing the files to a drive that is less full. Or at the very least, use a disk utility to defragment the full drive.

Don't worry if you have used your available downloads, send us an email and we will reset your available file count. If you have a slow connection, try again in non-peak hours 2300-0600 Eastern Time (UTC-5).

When new video content is published, our server can be extremely busy during the peak N. American daytime hours. When there are hundreds of customers downloading simultaneously, each connection is reduced in speed from the 'normal' 150-300 KB/sec to spread the load evenly. Generally this rush to download will diminish within a week or so after publication.
"

If the server is taking too long to respond to the next packet request, the browser may not be able to maintain the connection  and then they both drop it.  i think this is what you are seeing. i had the same issue downloading the Win7 SP1 a few months ago. It took several months for it the clear up. And that was from the MS farm of download servers ! i don't know what type of connection is being used, but i have had fewest issues with servers that are running FTP services.

Frank
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:57:55 am by degrub »

mondeo

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

As stated in the previous posts I am only trying a single download at a time
I watched a download it was going 'steadily' at between 25 and 50 KB/s, no observeable pauses in bytes downloaded, then the download just terminates.
I can assure you I have an unlimited download limit and have been downloading other large files > 250 MB with no problems at all.

My HD is less than 15% full (mirrored for speed)

I am based in the UK and have been trying in non peak time

Wait a week ! Now thats not really the answer is it ! Fair enough if we hadnt paid.
I'd like to see your face if your ISP or Elec Company turned around and told you that.

I have no download manager, but lack of support adds to frustrations - if this was supported at least the downloads could be resummed.
Any response as to why 'commercial grade' servers arent been considered ?

degrub

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 11:35:19 am »

It is not the answer, but the reality of the download server that we (members) live with. i don't believe that it is an issue of "commercial" or private servers, but the economics of buying bandwidth while keeping the  site free to use. They could go to a subscriber model which might support a higher throughput system, but since it only gets this way a few times a year after a major video release, what's the point ? It won't have an impact on my photography if i wait for the demand peak to level off. After going through this a couple times, i learned to watch for the announcements in the forum rather than the "what's new" page since that has given some hours of normal server load before the rush. The end of year sale seemed to multiply the effect this time, so the timing has been rather bad for keeping the download server load balanced.

Frank

James_Schei

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

Problems here as well. Win 7 machine. In past have had no problems. sat the 7th morning downloaded number 29 and it took a really long time and then it would not uncompress the file said there was nothing in it.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 11:51:33 am »

The store server was & remains bogged down with multiple file downloads after our Sale.

Downloads are being affected by our extremely high traffic. We have had to limit the number of available 'slots'.

Be sure to re-boot your browser when you try again.

Our apologies. In order to avoid continued frustration, my suggestion is to still to wait 24/48 hours.

Christopher Sanderson
The Luminous Landscape

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »

Let me just emphasize that it doesn't matter if you are just downloading a single file, if several others are downloading multiple files.

Wait until things quiet down. The files will be available for downloading for a long time to come.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up