Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEX7 vs. GH2  (Read 12765 times)

Jules

NEX7 vs. GH2
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »

For much of last year, Michael had been using his GH2, mostly with the 14-140 lens.  He seemed to enjoy it.  Lately he has been testing the NEX7, most recently with the 18-200 lens.  Likewise, he seems to enjoy it.  My question, preferably to Michael, is: in a nutshell, which kit did you prefer?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: NEX7 vs. GH2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »

That's like asking a honey bee from what flower they like the nectar from...

michael

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:33 pm »

I prefer Bouganville at the moment.  ;)

Seriously though, what people forget is that I'm not simply flitting from flower to flower (err... camera), though it's lots of fun. This is what I do for a living. I try new products and write reviews of them. I don't just test and review, I actually do my work with whatever is the latest, and greatest.

This site wouldn't be of much interest if I simply used last year's camera, now would it?

Michael

stever

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:53:18 pm »

sorry Michael, but that was a rather disappointing response

is "this years camera" always better than last year's? as per Pop Photo (i don't have to even read it anymore to know that)

are the cameras and lenses both "good enough" ?  you've shot both with the 10x zooms - is there a difference?

i've come to expect a pretty high standard of LL in contrast to the many reviews that "speak no evil" and avoid direct comparisons

having wasted many hours evaluating a Fuji X10 which i found pretty close to crap IQ (even for point and shoot), i'm a little short in patience of reviewers pulling punches to preserve relationships with camera manufacturers

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:19:08 pm »

...i'm a little short in patience of reviewers pulling punches to preserve relationships with camera manufacturers

Wow bud, you sure you wanna say that? Really? If you wanna go down that road I think you'll end up pickled in a jar. Mike shoots what he wants to shoot. He writes about it in the manner he feels like-regardless of the reaction of the manufacturer. If you are so friggin' stupid that you think Mike is in the LEAST bit swayed by "relationships with camera manufacturers" then you have some education coming right at ya. Sorry "stever" you are way off base doooode. Go stand in a corner in time out. When you've learned your lesson, come back and apologize...

stever

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:10:41 am »

sorry Schewe, no apologies

i have enormous respect for both you and Michael but in the context of my personal experience compared with various "reviews" by others, i was enormously disappointed with Michael's flip reply to a very simple, direct question which would probably be of interest to many on this board, myself included

for a lot of people making purchase decisions, the strengths and weaknesses of micro 4-3 vs NEX APSC systems are important.  we don't all have the financial ability to switch systems every year

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:12:45 am »

Stever,

Schewe, as always, is brutaly direct. I like it because it's transparent. You know what he thinks, no diplomacy, no politically correct but just the truth of his thoughts. We need more of that indeed into this flabby soup customs we are seeing nowdays.

But IMO, it's important to take distance and observing one self. Michael is not going to resolve our part of responsability, wich is testing the gear in real world, having them in hand. What works for him does not necesarly work for you, or me. His indications are relevant, indicative but then you can't rely on anybody when it comes to choose equipment. This site is no exception.

Unless you're living in the Sahara or Gobi desert, there is for sure a good photo dealer at less than 50 miles from home.

A lot of questions can actually being answered just using common sense. The Nex 7 is another generation above the GH2. As tech now evolves fast as you know, this means obviously that the camera belongs to the newest generation and therefore that has consequences in term of performance. (same would be the GH1 and GH2 step).

Does it mean that the GH2 is obsolete? it depends. My aim is motion, in that terrain , the GH2 for me is still a better tool mainly because of the hack and body external functions access. Now, if stills are a concern, the Nex is obviously a more powerfull camera. Then, you have to consider the sensor's size, wich kind of lenses you might want to put etc...For me for example, the smaller sensor size is better because of the type of lenses and workflow I'm using (cine lenses and M39 monut). all those parameters can be deducted by yourself without the help of Michael or any other reviewer.

You can find on internet direct 100% comparaisons of files if that's your concern: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM (select on one side Sony Nex 7 and on the other GH2 and choose the same image settings)
It's clear that the Nex 7 performs better in higher isos, but we knew that. It's totally logical.

Now...if you look carefully at the files at based isos and you are used to post-prod, I'd choose the Panasonic for heavy retouching but the Nex for more "right-out-the-box" output. It depends on a lot of factors.

What will give you MR is a report of how things are working in a daily use. He's always been doing this and this is what differs from other sites. That's a great source of info, but that's also where the limit is: internet won't give us more than we can legitimally ask for. I don't think by the way that MR has ever wanted to compare or do a versus. He moves on with the ultimate gear of this industry. He owned (or still owns a GH2, now owns a Nex, that's a pretty good and enough indication that both cameras are great cameras. But what's the life of a digital gear nowdays? 3 - 4 years max. The Gh2 already has some years, the Nex is a newcomer. Tomorrow MR will own different cameras.

So it seems that many users feel unhappy when their answers are not answered the way they expected, and from there start to questionned if there is not a commercial interest here or there. In this site, there are MF vendors, Phase, Leaf, Hasselblad. Nobody will listen to them just like that.

It's up to each one's responsability to decide ultimatly with the camera in hand. We can't ask others to think for us but just receive impressions, (relative) informations is more than enough.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 06:36:07 am by fredjeang »

jeremyrh

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:43:50 am »

Wow bud, you sure you wanna say that? Really? If you wanna go down that road I think you'll end up pickled in a jar. Mike shoots what he wants to shoot. He writes about it in the manner he feels like-regardless of the reaction of the manufacturer. If you are so friggin' stupid that you think Mike is in the LEAST bit swayed by "relationships with camera manufacturers" then you have some education coming right at ya. Sorry "stever" you are way off base doooode. Go stand in a corner in time out. When you've learned your lesson, come back and apologize...

I didn't read it like that - I read that he was tired of (other) bad reviewers, and hence was short of patience with Michael's not-too-illuminating response. On the C2PS videos you come across as a nice and funny guy - I don't know why you have to be so confrontational on this forum.

michael

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:32 am »

People are always looking for absolutes. They won't find them from me. Life is a series of shades of gray, and that's how I report things (though usually using colour).

Take the NEX7. It may well the the most fascinating and enjoyable new camera of the past couple of years. It's easy to use, light weight, has great image quality, and can take just about every lens. The EVF is simple awesome, and I can put in it a coat pocket.

But it drive me nuts because it doesn't have a single user customizable memory function. I curse it a dozen times a day as I switch back and forth between shooting indoors, outdoors, action, portraits, video and stills. Combine the lack of C functions and a menu system from hell, and for me at least, it's a real pain in the ass.

But, I love it, and though I have a Leica 9, Sony 5n, a Fuji X100, a Panasonic GH2, Pany AF100, and a Phase One /Alpa IQ180 system all sitting on my desk here in San Miguel, the NEX-7 is the one that walks out the door 8 times out of 10.

If I want to shoot video exclusively though, I'll take the GH2. It's a much better video camera than the GH2, and it also has far superior user customizability as a stlls camera. Unfortunately it doesn't produce as good stills as the NEX-7. And if I want to shoot "serious" video, I'll use the Panasonic AF100, which is a far better "real" video camera.

There is a brand new camera system to be announced next week. I expect to get it for review not long afterward. It will likely be my camera of choice for a few weeks, if not longer. I'll tell you all about it here.

Will it be better than the GH2, or the NEX-7? Maybe, in some ways. Well it lack certain valuable features? Likely. In fact I already now of two biggies. Will this make it a winner or a loser. Probably neither. Just a real world product that some people will value and some won't.

All I do is shoot what I like with what I like and tell you as honestly as I can what works and what doesn't. You the reader can extract from that what you will.

Michael

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:04:14 am »

If I want to shoot video exclusively though, I'll take the GH2. It's a much better video camera than the GH2, and it also has far superior user customizability as a stlls camera.

?

Jules

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:39 am »

Thank you, Michael.  That more than answers my question: which one are you most likely to grab on your way out the door.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »

Can we still expect a video-oriented review of the NEX 7  ?

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »

Thanks very much for you reply Michael.  I have one question about the NEX7 that i haven't found a definitive answer too anywhere, unless I just missed it.  It's my understanding that I would NOT be able to use auto aperture priority exposure with my Leica M lenses...correct?  I would have to use completely manual exposure, setting the shutter speeds myself on the nex7.  Thanks, Eleanor

People are always looking for absolutes. They won't find them from me. Life is a series of shades of gray, and that's how I report things (though usually using colour).

Take the NEX7. It may well the the most fascinating and enjoyable new camera of the past couple of years. It's easy to use, light weight, has great image quality, and can take just about every lens. The EVF is simple awesome, and I can put in it a coat pocket.

But it drive me nuts because it doesn't have a single user customizable memory function. I curse it a dozen times a day as I switch back and forth between shooting indoors, outdoors, action, portraits, video and stills. Combine the lack of C functions and a menu system from hell, and for me at least, it's a real pain in the ass.

But, I love it, and though I have a Leica 9, Sony 5n, a Fuji X100, a Panasonic GH2, Pany AF100, and a Phase One /Alpa IQ180 system all sitting on my desk here in San Miguel, the NEX-7 is the one that walks out the door 8 times out of 10.

If I want to shoot video exclusively though, I'll take the GH2. It's a much better video camera than the GH2, and it also has far superior user customizability as a stlls camera. Unfortunately it doesn't produce as good stills as the NEX-7. And if I want to shoot "serious" video, I'll use the Panasonic AF100, which is a far better "real" video camera.

There is a brand new camera system to be announced next week. I expect to get it for review not long afterward. It will likely be my camera of choice for a few weeks, if not longer. I'll tell you all about it here.

Will it be better than the GH2, or the NEX-7? Maybe, in some ways. Well it lack certain valuable features? Likely. In fact I already now of two biggies. Will this make it a winner or a loser. Probably neither. Just a real world product that some people will value and some won't.

All I do is shoot what I like with what I like and tell you as honestly as I can what works and what doesn't. You the reader can extract from that what you will.

Michael

Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

michael

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »

I'm working on a video review, but there's no ETA yet.

Michael

michael

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »

The NEX-7 can shoot in aperture priority mode with Leica M lenses. Set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed.

Michael

eleanorbrown

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »

This does make the NEX7 very attractive indeed!  thanks, Eleanor

The NEX-7 can shoot in aperture priority mode with Leica M lenses. Set the aperture and the camera will set the shutter speed.

Michael

Eleanor Brown

stever

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:28 pm »

thanks for the information Michael, sorry that i was a little out of patience last night - as was Schewe

the comparative evaluation of someone with well-known credentials is worth a lot

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 03:44:09 pm »

Eleanor, you can also leave the NEX systems in "program mode" (i.e., P mode) and auto-exposure works when using manual lenses.  The dials can then be used to perform exposure compensation.  Very handy.
Eric Chan

eleanorbrown

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 04:08:50 pm »

Thanks for the tip Eric.  Guess I got confused because I checked the Voiglander adapter info and it says "no electronic communication of lens with the camera...manual exposure only".  However, I just checked and found some adaptors that will allow me to do the programed exposures you mentioned!  ...Eleanor

Eleanor, you can also leave the NEX systems in "program mode" (i.e., P mode) and auto-exposure works when using manual lenses.  The dials can then be used to perform exposure compensation.  Very handy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:00:42 pm by eleanorbrown »
Eleanor Brown

fredjeang

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 03:50:21 am »

Eleanor,

The P mode should work with any adaptor, without any communication with the body and as madmanchan said, using the dial to compensate.

Regards.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up