Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I bought i1Profiler - I want to use Profile Maker Pro 5 also  (Read 16856 times)

jemmyell

I bought i1Profiler - I want to use Profile Maker Pro 5 also
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »

But, since I bought the new i1 Photo Pro package my REV D eye-one is the dongle and the Profile Maker 5 doesn't believe it...

I have emailed xrite support.  Has anyone been able to run Profile Maker and PARTICULARLY Measure Tool if they didn't already own them and upgraded?

I am primarily doing profiles for dye sublimation heat transfer printing.

-James Leonard

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: I bought i1Profiler - I want to use Profile Maker Pro 5 also
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:42:16 am »

I don't think the i1 Photo-Pro license allows use of PMP. In the same way a license for i1 Profiler also doesn't allow use of PMP use either.
PMP needs it's own dongle (which can be upgraded to work as Profiler's dongle).

However I thought the measure tool will work without any sort of dongle for quite a few of it's functions.

Paul

jemmyell

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:22:10 pm »

Hi,

In fairness to xrite I did receive a very prompt reply to the support incident I filed.  They also told me the measure tool will 'mostly' work without a dongle.  They also said that using PMP 5 is not an option.  This is too bad since it seems to be a VERY professional piece of software.  Just to clarify, I have been a professional software developer since 1981.  So, I think I have valid opinions about what software should do as a minimum.

i1Profiler REALLY needs a PDF based manual that I can read that includes REAL error message explanations.  Telling me that I am scanning the wrong line when I KNOW I am scanning the right line is unacceptable, especially since none of the possible resolutions that I have searched for here (larger patches, looser MeasurementTolerance) are mentioned.  The Videos are nice (I guess) but I feel really lost without that manual.

So, to sum up, my needs are not really great currently, but I hope to grow into the product.  They are:

Make color printing profiles for a variety of substrates for photographic dye sublimation (specializing in ceramic and glass tile).

Take measurements of the 'color' of those substrates so I can reference that for use with new batches of tile (and other products) that I receive.  This will be backed up by test measuring known RGB palette swatches that have been sublimated onto the substrate in question.

I REALLY want to be able to 'tweak' a profile instead of rescanning targets, but I have seen many different opinions about this.  Of course, without the Profile Editor this isn't possible.

I am sure that I will find other uses, but that is what I am struggling with for now.

Since I reset the MeasurementTolerance to .7 from .5 I have not had a problem swipe scanning profile targets.  The profiles that were produced seem to work very well, at least the colors are very close to my calibrated displays.

-James Leonard

Rhossydd

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »

i1Profiler REALLY needs a PDF based manual that I can read that includes REAL error message explanations.
Dream on, I can't remember the last software manual I saw with explanations of all possible error codes, it just doesn't happen any more in my experience, if it ever did.

I do agree that X-Rite's manuals and on-line training materials leave a huge amount to be desired, but this is nothing new with i1 Profiler, it was even worse with PMP :(

Just be thankful you've landed here where there is some useful and knowledgeable help and advice.

jemmyell

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:08 pm »

Hi,

Yes, this forum is a WONDERFUL resource!

I don't agree about the error messages.  There needs to be a troubleshooting section that lists common problems and their solutions.  Having a PDF manual gives a mechanism whereby the problem resoutions that were discovered can be shared.  An online 'knowledge base' is good also but it should only reflect what is in a PDF that can be downloaded.  The knowledge base should be iteratively improved as issues arise.

I spend time every year in a country that has VERY uneven internet access so I am very sensitive to having to use online resources.  They may not be available where I am at the moment.

Anyways, thanks for your responses and I look forward to MUCH more reading here, particularly on the 'Digital Darkroom' topic of having the best edited photos to print.

-James Leonard

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

I don't agree about the error messages.  There needs to be a troubleshooting section that lists common problems and their solutions.
Read my comment again.
I'm not suggesting that error messages shouldn't be in manuals, that would be useful. I'm just pointing out the reality that they aren't and are very unlikely to be added in the future.

LenR

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »

I use an older eye1 with PM without problems. 

You DO have a dongle for PM right?

jemmyell

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:00 pm »

Hi,

No, I do NOT have a dongle for PM.  The new xrite software uses the eye-one as the dongle.  I am a recent purchaser and new to using xrite software for color management.  Regretfully xrite support has already said no but they were interested as to what I found deficient in i1profiler so I told them. (see my post above).

I just bought SpectraShop 4 to use to audit my substrates and ongoing dye sub results.  I will see how it works for that.

-James Leonard

LenR

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »

The eye one is the dongle for the eye one packages only.

PM is a standalone that comes with it's own dongle.

PM doesn't care what hardware you use as long as it is on it's supported list.

David White

• http://
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »

I had PM5 and upgraded to i1Publish.  It required the dongle that was used with PM.
David White

Rhossydd

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 04:42:16 am »

The eye one is the dongle for the eye one packages only.
That's not true. When upgrading PMP to i1 Profiler you're given the option to either upgrade the PMP dongle or use an i1-Pro spectro as it's dongle.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:00 am »

Has anyone been able to run Profile Maker and PARTICULARLY Measure Tool if they didn't already own them and upgraded?

Yes, I had my PMP dongles upgraded for i1P support and they now work with both applications. MP dongles are not upgradeable so MP users get a fresh dongle when they upgrade. EyeOne Pro dongle handing is complicated so I avoid it...

I am primarily doing profiles for dye sublimation heat transfer printing.

Seems like i1P's engine would be much better for these poorly behaved devices.

It sounds like you're wanting to use MeasureTool. Can I ask - have you used the free ColorPort utility and might it suffice for your needs?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

ronmart

• Ron Martinsen's Photography Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

I work with the person who manages the X-Rite coloratti communications and I review X-Rite products.

When I upgraded from ProfileMaker to i1Publish I was told that my i1Pro IS the dongle and therefore I no longer needed to use my dongle anymore (which is true). I had to give them my dongle number and my i1Pro serial number, and they took care of the rest on the back end. After that happend when I want to use i1Publish I just plug in my i1Pro and when I want to use ProfileMaker (which is rare since its a POS compared to i1Publish), i use the dongle.

My advice to you would be to just get on the phone and talk to support and give them your calibratoin device (i1Pro, iSis, etc..) serial number and let them take care of this for you.

Good luck!

Ron

P.S. I'll be reviewing i1Publish on my blog soon (was supposed to be Thursday night but I was lazy <g>)

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

To clarify something.

I have i1Profiler and it uses a dongle (not purchased as an upgrade). I can use more than one device with i1Profiler. But the dongle does not support PMP or MP.

ThDo

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »

I don't think the i1 Photo-Pro license allows use of PMP. In the same way a license for i1 Profiler also doesn't allow use of PMP use either.

That's exactly the problem of jemmyell.

He has bought i1 photo pro, which comes with i1 profiler.

So he has no licence for PMP. PMP will not work unless he buys a licence for it. I don't know if this is still possible as it is a discontinued software.

jemmyell

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:23 pm »

Hi,

Yes, xrite support has told me it is not possible to license the old software.  i1profiler seems to work pretty well but there are so many mysteries without a manual.

I did buy Robin Myers SpectraShop and it appears to do what I need in terms of measuring object colors.  I want to use this for QA of products I am sublimating and to track my ink and processes. I need to get a baseline soon for my eye-one so I can also track it's performance.  Would I be right in thinking that if I used SpectraShop to sample the calibration tile in the eye-one package that I could then detect changes in performance of the eye-one itself? That is assuming I keep the calibration tile well protected of course.  I also plan to cross check with a Color Checker.

We do printing with a dye sublimation printer, a pigment printer and a color laser printer.  I want to try and make the output of these at least CLOSE to the same on similar materials, both hard (tile, chromaluxe panels, etc.) and soft like cloth.  Any advice on this is appreciated.

-James
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:39:42 pm by jemmyell »

Rhossydd

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 10:18:38 am »

Would I be right in thinking that if I used SpectraShop to sample the calibration tile in the eye-one package that I could then detect changes in performance of the eye-one itself?
No. The Eye-1 uses the calibration tile to self calibrate from every time you use it, so it should always read the same excluding the sequencial measurement variability.

To check drift you'd need a different reference.

jemmyell

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 12:37:02 pm »

Hi,

Would the color checker that came with the eye-one be good for detecting drift?  If not can you recommend a cost effective reference?

-James

Rhossydd

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02:34 pm »

jemmyell

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 01:21:03 pm »

Hi,

Thank you!  That was very interesting reading.  I will buy the PTFE sheet referenced.  I keep my calibration tile in the case religiously (so far...) but there must be a cleaning method.

Any advice on cleaning / maintenance of the calibration tile and the spectro itself?

-James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up