Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image and Canvas Size in Lightroom 3?  (Read 9350 times)

Vladimir Steblina

Image and Canvas Size in Lightroom 3?
« on: January 04, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

I have been using Elements 3 and recently started using Lightroom 3. 

Does anybody know where is Lightroom 3 I can set the image size and canvas size for printing??  In Elements 3 it is under >Image>ReSize.

Hopefully, it is just as simple in Lightroom 3.  Thanks.
Retired Forester....rambling round
www.usbackroads.blogspot.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Image and Canvas Size in Lightroom 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:29:35 pm »

You don't change the images size anywhere except Export of the Print module. In LR it's called the cell size for the image dimensions and you can create custom margins on the page size. Completely different concept than Elements...

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:32 pm »

Lightroom has streamlined the whole system of printing and has made it more intuitive using the Print Module. Although I know some complain about its apparent complexity, it makes logical sense if you work from the top right down from palette to palette. However, begin in the bottom left by setting your paper size and format in Page Setup... and in Print Settings... set-up your printer driver(or just Page Settings for Windows).

Once you have the paper size and format correct you will see it in the Preview window in the centre of LR's Print Module.
  • Layout Style - choose Single Image;
  • Image Settings - I leave everything unchecked except for "Rotate to Fit" if I am working with a combination of horizontal and vertical images;
  • Layout - is where you set the Cell Size Jeff eluded to in the post above; This is the final image size centred on the page. Margins are used to adjust the print on the page; e.g. Add a bottom margin if you want the print to float higher in the page leaving a larger margin along the bottom.
  • Guides - are non-printing helpers;
  • Page - allows you to add a watermark or other info to the print;
  • Print Job - the most critical part of the process in many ways as it is here you will select "Print to - Printer"; set the Printer Resolution (360ppi for Epson; 300 for Canon and HP, I believe); set the Print Sharpening (all looked after for you, provided you have capture-sharpened effectively) - set to Standard and match your media type (Glossy for everything except true Matte paper); Color Management: for fine art papers and pigment inks, DO NOT set to "Managed by Printer", instead, select the .icc profile that matches the paper you are using (which can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website)
Once you've printed an excellent print with all the right settings make sure you save the settings as a Template (see the + sign to the right of "Template Browser", a palette on the left side of the work area.

This is just a "bare bones" look at printing to get you started. There are a number of options that can be explored. At the risk of being banned for shameless self-promotion, I can recommend the Lightroom Visual Guide at www.luxborealis.com/LRVG.html (only $5). More in-depth knowledge is available in Scott Kelby's excellent book Lightroom 3 for the Digital Photographer (ISBN-10 0321700910). But one of the best resources is still the Lu-La Camera to Print & Screen 2011 - excellent, really.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:13:00 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:27:35 am »

Does anybody know where is Lightroom 3 I can set the image size and canvas size for printing??  
You just need to forget this convoluted way to work.
In Lightroom, it's more akin to enlarge a negative with your enlarger :
- You crop your negative with the Develop module / Crop tool as the marger,
- You choose your paper size in Print module / Page setup (NB you still can output a jpeg) as the paper box.
You can also choose the output resolution if you need to (if you don't check the box it will be the same pixels as original which not that bad a choice).
You still a got a bit more possibilities in terms of layouts.

Alternatively, you can specify a pixel size in the print module, and some external plugins (LR/Mogrify eg) can add margins.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up