Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GIMP?  (Read 8927 times)

Fine_Art

GIMP?
« on: January 04, 2012, 04:12:17 pm »

Anyone use GIMP extensively? Is it recommended?

I have a PS CS2 disk somewhere, im not real interested in installing it on my new 64 bit PC. The only things i rarely use are layers, mask, healing brush for spots. I have been happy without PS for years so I will not upgrade.

Gimp does have layers. Coupled with Fluid Mask if it's masking tool is weak, it might do everything I need. What do people recommend?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: GIMP?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:54:02 pm »

Install both. I think CS2 will work as a 32bit program on W7 64 OK and you presumably know how to use it. Then try The GIMP and see how you get on. There will still be some things that PS can do that The GIMP can't.......yet

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:31:49 am »

There will still be some things that PS can do that The GIMP can't.......yet
Some (if not many) photographers may miss 16 bits editing and adjustment layers, among others...
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:22 am »

GIMP is a bit castrated when it comes to 16bit images...
It's UI is at least as arcane as that of PS.
Color Management is only basic.

For a windows user, PWP is a decent low cost alternative which has extensive masking support.
I use it mainly to clean up scans. I still use version 5, did not play with the freshly announced v6 yet.

cheers
afx

Rainer Ots

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 07:54:35 am »

Most low cost PS alternatives that I have tried are way more feature complete and easier to master than GIMP.

David Good

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:56 am »

I have never used Gimp but have Picture Window Pro (older version, it's now at v.6.0) and highly recommend it as an alternative to Photoshop/Lightroom. It has full color management, 16 bit processing, but no layers capability. It is, however, very reasonably priced!

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:10:43 pm »

Lack of 16-bit editing is also my main reason keeping me away from GIMP. The UI is different than PS, and requires some adjustment to get used to - but if you're not used to PS it'll be just a normal learning curve.

afx, how is the color management? I never tried GIMP's color management myself, but GIMP does have it according to their guides.

GIMP 3.0 will have 16-bit editing, I'm guesstimating its release to be close to next PS.

Most low cost PS alternatives that I have tried are way more feature complete and easier to master than GIMP.

What features are lacking in GIMP which are found in Elements or similar software?

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »

I have a PS CS2 disk somewhere, im not real interested in installing it on my new 64 bit PC. The only things i rarely use are layers, mask, healing brush for spots. I have been happy without PS for years so I will not upgrade.

Gimp does have layers. Coupled with Fluid Mask if it's masking tool is weak, it might do everything I need. What do people recommend?

gimp certainly is free, but is it worth a hassle ? there are so many alternatives, even if you do not want to spend on Adobe products

1) http://www.dl-c.com/

2) http://www.pl32.com/

3) http://www.corel.com/corel/allProducts.jsp

alain

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »

I have never used Gimp but have Picture Window Pro (older version, it's now at v.6.0) and highly recommend it as an alternative to Photoshop/Lightroom. It has full color management, 16 bit processing, but no layers capability. It is, however, very reasonably priced!

Picture Window Pro v6.0  has a 64-bit version.

No layers, but easy to make masks and the possibility to store workflows (and thus a history of changes).  UI is a bit rough.

But it has a nice price, PS is more than 10x more expensive.  

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 04:33:47 am by alain »

Fine_Art

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:32:22 am »

Thanks to all.

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 04:08:56 am »

afx, how is the color management? I never tried GIMP's color management myself, but GIMP does have it according to their guides.
Well, yes they do have CM, but no soft proof, gamut warnings and if I remember correctly choice of rendering intents was also limited.

GIMP 3.0 will have 16-bit editing, I'm guesstimating its release to be close to next PS.
I've been told about 16bit support coming in GIMP for ages... Nothing to plan on in my eyes.

What features are lacking in GIMP which are found in Elements or similar software?
GIMP is more feature complete then PSE, but PSE is a major joke anyway, unless you get it for free with a tablet or scanner, there is no reason to own it.

Apart from fully featured CM and 16bit support, GIMP lacks a logically structured usable UI. it is such a hodgepodge that needs a major learning effort for even the most trivial tasks.

cheers
afx

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »

Apart from fully featured CM and 16bit support, GIMP lacks a logically structured usable UI. it is such a hodgepodge that needs a major learning effort for even the most trivial tasks.

So does PS.

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 07:55:42 am »

GIMP lacks a logically structured usable UI. it is such a hodgepodge that needs a major learning effort for even the most trivial tasks.
Exactly the same can be said for Photoshop, you never hear a newcomer to digital imaging say how easy it is to use PS.

For an experienced PS user (as the OP is), the gimp should be easy enough to quickly adapt to. Much of the interface is very similar to PS, but it hasn't made the mistake of hiding so much in cryptic fly outs from the tool panel, there's also good tool tips that help with tool selection for new users.

Well, yes they do have CM, but no soft proof, gamut warnings and if I remember correctly choice of rendering intents was also limited.
Keep up at the back ;-) On version 2.6. Soft proofing is there, gamut warning is there and there are the same range of rendering intents as PS

The only major feature lacking is 16bit support, but that's on it's way. For many people that's not a major requirement anyway.

Whilst I dismissed the gimp as not much real use for many years, having gone back and had a look at where it's at now I think it really can be an alternative to PS for many users, especially those on tight budgets.

Paul

graphius

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:35:48 pm »

To throw in my two bits worth, I used Gimp extensively for years, as I prefer Linux as an OS to Windows (yes even win7). However once I got Photoshop running in Linux (using wine, and faster than under windows) I realized how much better Photoshop was. Adjustment layers, ACR (there are other good raw converters, but ACR is handy), history brush, among others. I could usually get kind of sort of the same results in Gimp, but the workflow was more convoluted, and was much easier to back out of a decision in photoshop (thank you adjustment layers and smart objects).
Once Gimp gets adjustment layers, it will be a real competitor. 16-bit is nice but not required. Most of the rest is just tweaking the workflow.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:21 am »

Hi,

My mother used a very old version of Photoshop  and could not use that version on her new Windows PC. So we tried GIMP, but my mother gave up on that and learned Photoshop Elements instead. My impression is that GIMP may be usable, but the tools in Photoshop work simply better.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Rhossydd

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 02:28:56 am »

So we tried GIMP, but my mother gave up on that and learned Photoshop Elements instead. My impression is that GIMP may be usable, but the tools in Photoshop work simply better.
I don't think that Photoshop tools actually work better, but the Elements interface is far more friendly for beginners. I doubt she would have found a full version of Photoshop significantly better or easier to use than the Gimp.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 08:01:59 am »

Hi,

Sorry, I found that the tools in gimp for selecting color range and "magic wand" were inferior to Photoshop Elements. I'm a long time user of Photoshop CS5 and GIMP before that.

Best regards
Erik

I don't think that Photoshop tools actually work better, but the Elements interface is far more friendly for beginners. I doubt she would have found a full version of Photoshop significantly better or easier to use than the Gimp.

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:54:10 am »

Hi,

My take on GIMP is that it can be useful. I actually used GIMP for a long time, before switching to Picture Window Pro and later Photoshop CS5. Now days I do almost all my work in Lightroom, but CS5 is niceley integrated with LR.

I have a couple of issues with GIMP. One is that it is not easy to move recipes from cryptic Photoshop commands to cryptic GIMP commands. For instance, I found out that I can create a luminosity mask by pressing "Option-Cmd-5" for the sky and paste into a layer mask by "Add-layer-mask" icon in the Layer-dialogue in CS5. But how do I do it in GIMP?

The other issue is, if I process an image in GIMP and the receiver will open it in CS5, will they see the same tone mapping and color? Hopefully, but I'm not assured.

The final issue I have with GIMP is that development has been very slow and that it seems to me there is to much focus on fancy features than solid basic functionality.

For instance, I use only ProphotoRGB and 16 bit processing. Does GIMP support either? Sixteen bits have probably bin promised in GIMP for at least ten years.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

ippolitois

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04:29 am »

Actually, if you're going to take the time to learn an new program, then I would suggest trying Photoline. I've been using it now for a couple of weeks, and it is a very powerful tool. It has so many features and functions that it will blow you away and you can still use all of your PS plugins. The only draw back is that the help files are not as intuitive as they should be but if you're looking for an alternative to PS, then this is a bargain.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something easy, then Corel PSP is very good, but they don't have a very good cloning tool and it's designed for the novice. I have worked extensively with Elements, and I would stay away from it. The catalog function is a major drawback to any workflow especially if you look and edit your photos outside of Elements. I've had some really confused people ask me about the cataloging function in Element and frankly, I hate it because you cannot manage your files outside of the program. If you're not disciplined to use it only for everything, then you can be in trouble.

Getting back to Photoline, it also has DTP functions and uses the layer metaphor much deeper than PS ever did. It has many selection tools, adjustment layers, masking tools galore, some of which work great and others not so, but for 59 euros it's simply fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Paul

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 05:58:36 am »

Hi,

Yes Photoline has some good features. It's affordable and available on both Mac and that other OS.

Best regards
Erik

Actually, if you're going to take the time to learn an new program, then I would suggest trying Photoline. I've been using it now for a couple of weeks, and it is a very powerful tool. It has so many features and functions that it will blow you away and you can still use all of your PS plugins. The only draw back is that the help files are not as intuitive as they should be but if you're looking for an alternative to PS, then this is a bargain.

On the other hand, if you're looking for something easy, then Corel PSP is very good, but they don't have a very good cloning tool and it's designed for the novice. I have worked extensively with Elements, and I would stay away from it. The catalog function is a major drawback to any workflow especially if you look and edit your photos outside of Elements. I've had some really confused people ask me about the cataloging function in Element and frankly, I hate it because you cannot manage your files outside of the program. If you're not disciplined to use it only for everything, then you can be in trouble.

Getting back to Photoline, it also has DTP functions and uses the layer metaphor much deeper than PS ever did. It has many selection tools, adjustment layers, masking tools galore, some of which work great and others not so, but for 59 euros it's simply fantastic.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up