Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: when imac monitor darkens  (Read 2642 times)

dumainew

when imac monitor darkens
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »

Have a new 21" imac . When viewing images in PS5 monitor dims after a few minutes, to save energy, if nothing happens. As it's supposed to. A funny thing about it is, I really like how some images look when that happens. For instance, the light on a tree branch 'almost glows in the dark'. An effect I'd like to get and save, but don't know how. Does anyone know how to achieve this dimming effect ? Thanks for reading.

mediumcool

Re: when imac monitor darkens
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 09:25:14 pm »

Levels?
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

K.C.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:36:38 am »

Well you can't have any effective calibration until you turn the dimming off in Energy Saver. Without a calibrated display it doesn't matter how you create the effect you like, you'll be rolling the dice when it comes to printing it.

dumainew

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:13:34 pm »

Thank you both for the suggestions and comments. This forum is a real help to a non-expert.
Levels works well, only I'm not quite sure when I've got it right. So I'm gonna take a screen shot of the computer dimmed image with a DSLR, put it into PS5, then use it as a comparison/reference point.  FYI the monitor is calibrated.

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 08:20:58 pm »

FYI the monitor is calibrated.

Until it dims, then all bets are off.

One of the keys to calibration is that the display is consistent, as in the CFL tube or LEDs that backlight your display have been on long enough that there is no variation in output.

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:17:50 pm »

I think the OP needs to do some research about calibration; my response was supposed to be flippant!

The OP does not say whether print or screen is the goal; calibration is needed for consistency in either case. I don’t know about PCs, but Macintosh computers have basic calibration built-in.

But a hardware calibrator will be much superior. But all of this is for nought if room lighting is not kept constant, or lighting variations allowed for by different calibration settings.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up