Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wall Mural substrate?  (Read 3776 times)

NickCroken

Wall Mural substrate?
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

Hey Everyone,
I have a client who recently approached me about doing some wall murals for their studio.  I have been looking into various medias but have yet to find one that will not damage the drywall when applied.  I'm assuming the product will be a vinyl like material.  I've seen some websites offering re applicable wall murals that can be placed over 100 times without losing the stickiness or doing any damage.

Have any of you tried this?  I am looking for something that can be bought in a 44" roll for my epson 9880.

Thank you so much for your insights.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Wall Mural substrate?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:32:28 am »

"Photo Tex"

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:18 pm »

What Dan said. PhotoTex is a fabric with an adhesive that can do exactly what you are describing in your OP. I have a piece of PhotoTex that was printed about 8 years ago. It is 13 x 19 and has been taken down and re-applied MANY times and it sticks as well as it did the first time. It can be used on matte painted drywall with no problem at all. Very easy to apply.

The vinyls engineered for this purpose (Ultra-removable) are for use with solvent/Eco-solvent printers and most of them can't be printed full bleed. You must leave a white edge at least ½" or the material will curl off the wall.

SEE MY ADDED POST BELOW
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:33:23 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

NickCroken

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

Thank you for the quick replies.  Now with the 1/2" on the edges would it be possible to trim that off so it could go flush with the corner/ceiling of a room?  Having the 1/2" in the middle wouldn't be a big deal as I could just over lap the layers.

LenR

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:34:19 pm »

+1 PhotoTex

NickCroken

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

I just talked to Gord out of Toronto who is the distributor in Canada.  He will be shipping my trial out this week. I can't wait to try this stuff out!

Randy Carone

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:50 am »

No, the edges must have the white border. For some reason the overlaps can be full bleed and don't peel/curl.

SEE MY ADDED POST BELOW.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:33:47 pm by Randy Carone »
Randy Carone

NickCroken

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »

Hi Everyone,
My sample roll just arrived and I tried a print with the settings suggested for epson printers on the photo tex site and the image turned out like garbage with obviously far too much ink put down.  20ml on one square foot!  I tried contact the company for a profile and media settings but haven't heard back yet.  Are any of you running an epson? I'm using a 9880.

Thanks for your help!

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:49:43 am »

I run it on a 9800.  Too much ink is a problem.  I don't think they have any actual profiles to use.  Just printer settings.  If I was using a lot of this stuff I'd experiment with different printer setting to get the best possible and then have a custom profile made.
CMurph

Randy Carone

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:32:49 pm »

There are three recent additions to the list of ultra-removable adhesive-backed inkjet materials for wall graphics.

The first is Sihl's 3166 ClearSTICK is a 2mil clear polyester film with optically clear, repositionable adhesive with an opaque, white polyester release liner.

Next is Sihl's 3539 SyntiTec, a white, matte polypropylene that has a proprietary low tack self-adhesive that allows an easy, 100% bubble-free application and residue-free removal on glass and other smooth flat surfaces.

The third material is PhotoFab Omni, which is an Aqueous/Eco/Solv/UV Latex ink compatible product that is  coated 100% Polyester fabric laminated with a repositionable adhesive and stay flat liner. This material can be contour or Exacto knife cut without fraying and can be printed with high ink density, allowing for photo realistic imaging and fine line detail. This product is manufactured in the United States.
Randy Carone

Light Seeker

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »

The third material is PhotoFab Omni, which is an Aqueous/Eco/Solv/UV Latex ink compatible product that is  coated 100% Polyester fabric laminated with a repositionable adhesive and stay flat liner. This material can be contour or Exacto knife cut without fraying and can be printed with high ink density, allowing for photo realistic imaging and fine line detail. This product is manufactured in the United States.

I was just about to order some PhotoTex, but this looks really interesting. If I'm reading things correctly the Dmax and saturation with PhotoFab Omni should be better, which was an area of concern I had with PhotoTex.

Randy, are there smaller quantities and/or sizes available to test with before committing to a roll? If not, do you have any samples to send out?

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up