Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving ipf8300  (Read 3697 times)

pippa

moving ipf8300
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:52 am »

Hi,

I need to move my canon ipf8300 printer soon and was after any advise out there!

it has to go up a flight of stairs, though the guys moving it are pretty confident this can be done with minimal tipping.

i am interested in any opinions and experiences as obv. don't want to damage the printer but really don't want to dump over £800 of ink + the 2 or 3 maitenance cartridges the manual says a level 3 drain requires

will the level 2 move option be enough?

HELP please! Pippa

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: moving ipf8300
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

I just went through this and it was the MOST frustrating experience of my photo life. had to do a level 3 move to get down stairs in the new place.
According to canon if you're doing anything more than a 30 degree tip you MUST do a level 3 drain or ink will leak out. If I had to do this move again I would sell the printer and buy a new one - not kidding.

here's how my move went:
first, I ran out of photo gray ink prior to my move, no problem I thought, I'll just put in a new one when I get there - nope. the printer would not let me execute the move without it. so a $164 cartridge goes in, charges the line and immediately drains - there goes $50 of ink.
Next, I used 3 maintenance cartridges at $90 each and 60 % of a 4th - there goes $300+
upon draining the printer most of my tanks were 60% full. when I reinstalled the printer in it's new location it immediately needed a "consumables" maintenance call, there goes $450 and a week. According to canon moving is incredibly hard on the printer and this is to be expected.
Once I finally got to put the ink back in it filled my remaining 40% of the maintenance cartridge with brand new ink, demanded another one ($90 more)and filled that one half full - that's about $500 in ink by my calculations. According to canon as long as the printer thinks there's air in the line ANYWHERE it will continue to cycle. on a refill it's not uncommon to use up to one full maintenance cartridge (that's something like 540ml of new ink totally wasted). I had to replace EVERY SINGLE cartridge before even making a print, even my brand new gray one - that means I used a whole gray tank without making a single print from it - total cost of ink $1257.
It cost me $350 in movers/truck rental.
all the ink that went through the print heads probably took a third of their life away.
My total move cost well over $2000 and took three weeks of planning and frustration. Done over I will sell the printer (about a year old) for as much as I can get. I had offers for $2700. I will then buy a new one with a complete set of ink for about $4k and would have experienced a much smaller loss of money and time, resetting of my warranty period and new full ink tanks and a printer with no wear on it.

I will NEVER move a printer like this again. I'll sell the dumb thing and buy a new one that can be tipped up on end with no problem, tossed around(carefully) and generally gotten into place with no worries. this experience just about had me in tears and absolutely ruined my month's financial planning. If it's more than level 1, maybe level 2, don't do it!

Mark

pippa

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:54 pm »

wow, what a nightmare..

i used to have a w8400 and moved it all over the place loads of times with no problems, thought this one would be the same

cannot believe how expensive it was for you, i'm now terrified as just can't afford to spend so much on consumables.

has anyone moved using level 2??

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

how did your move go?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:49 pm »

Time to pay the piper, eh?  sheesh.
~ CB

pippa

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:38:44 pm »

I've not done it yet - your experience fightened the life out of me! and i still have a little bit of time left on the premises so putting it off.

I posted the same question in a wiki forum and the 2 replys were both from guys who had moved their printers without draining (one of them shipped it from California to Hawaii)
with no problems, just kept them as level as poss, one saying theirs was tipped maybe 45 degrees for a staircase.

I've still not decided whether to just take it as is or do the level 2 drain - maybe toss a coin on the day (no way i'm doing level 3!)

I'll let you know how i get on

Pages: [1]   Go Up