Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best used digital back for technical camera  (Read 6838 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Best used digital back for technical camera
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:35 pm »

Bernard, I agree with you. Impeccable technique is the main course here. BTW, I mentioned new "FF" sensors, not MF sensors.
Take care
Eduardo

Eduardo,

According to your rumors, who is about to release new MF sensors? Dalsa updated their line up pretty recently and it would be a major change of their release cycle if they released something new. This only leaves us with the former sensor division of Kodak, right? I would be really interestesting to see whether Pentax provided them with enough business to keep some significant R&D activity going. I sincerely hope they will come up with real innovation, including live view enabled sensors based on CMOS tech.

Regarding the results, I agree, we'll need to see in print... but to my eyes that contest was played 3 years ago already. At most print sizes, a 22MP back is difficult to tell apart from a D3x. I did the test comparing it with my former Mamiya ZD. But OK, the 22MP probably had a slight edge. :)

Realistically, it would be surprising in 2012 if the 22MP backs could still compete with the 36 MP DSLRs from a technical standpoint. I am of course not discusing the look of some lenses,...

Now, that is of course ignoring the fact that the jump from 22 to 36 is in fact not huge. Just like the jump from 36 to 50. My bet is that at A1 print size, it is going to be pretty hard to tell apart a 22MP back, a D3x, a 36MP DSLR, a 39MP back and even a 50MP MFDB. The shooting technique and processing skills are likely to play a bigger role than the characteristics of the sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up