Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 13" printers now 'disposable'?  (Read 2336 times)

Herb

Epson 13" printers now 'disposable'?
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:13 am »

The cost of ink for Epson 13" printers in the UK:

R2880 - £11.12, R2400 - £14.56, 2100 - £20.57, 2000P - £50.22

That's some serious loading on the price of ink for older printers. We can now buy a new 2880 for the cost of a set of carts for the 2000P. The upgrade logic is maybe sound for high-volume pro printers but, as an amateur, I can't afford continuous replacement. I don't think that Epson is a company that I should deal with any longer.

Canon is probably the obvious alternative but I don't know their range. Can anyone advise if the price of ink for older Canon models remains reasonable after they are discontinued?

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: Epson 13" printers now 'disposable'?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:30 am »

I would imagine that your favorite online retailer has a comprehensive list of prices and availability for most any ink you seek.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:33:48 am »

I still have a 2200 that I occasionally use for the odd printing job; the decision point on when to get rid of it will be made when I run out of ink. I started buying ink for the 2200 from Atlex in 2004, when I bought the printer; I believe that they got $9.50US per cartridge back then. The current price (Atlex again) is $11.50US per cartridge; that's a 21% price increase over eight years. Not cheap, but not unreasonable over that period, for a product with limited demand. Can't speak for what goes on across the pond relative to pricing this stuff and who marks it up.

JohnTodd

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:50:32 am »

Peter,

According to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ , that $9.50 cartridge in 2004 should now cost $11.38 just due to inflation.

Farmer

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:11 pm »

How much ink are in each of the cartridges?  Also, consider the volume of production for each model - the number of 2000Ps still operating would be quite limited, so the cost of production is relatively higher.
Phil Brown

Herb

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 05:15:38 am »

The current price (Atlex again) is $11.50US per cartridge;

That's a super price. No sign of loading on 2100 carts in the US as per UK experience.

Funny enough, 2000P prices are high in US (not stratospheric UK level). If I were a US owner of a 2100, I'd be keeping an eye on prices and stocking up before Epson decide they want to 'discourage' further use.

As for Phil's suggestion that 'the number of 2000Ps still operating would be quite limited'.......I should think that is a certainty, given the cost of ink. At a $ equivalent of $78.25 per cart in the UK, you'd expect them all to be gathering dust. Anyone paying that price would be better off trying to avoid the grim-faced men in white coats than having a trivial delight in photography!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:33:57 am »

Whether it is sensible to use that specific printer model and ink set today, with all the issues that ink has, there are still big 10600 Epson Archival pigment 500 ML carts sold at approx. 20 Eurocents a ML. There are ways to refill the smaller carts with that ink. That strategy was already possible 8-9 years ago.

I would think that a more up to date new model with a chip resetter already available and filled with compatible wide format carts ink is a wiser approach. Could be another brand too but Canon inks are not cheaper.

If not enough is printed to buy carts that large you should consider the most economic approach for amateurs: have them printed.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

330+ paper white spectral plots:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Herb

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 10:35:12 am »

... there are still big 10600 Epson Archival pigment 500 ML carts sold at approx. 20 Eurocents a ML. There are ways to refill the smaller carts with that ink.

Many thanks for your advice - I hadn't thought of that angle. In the past I've steered away from DIY third-party inks, considering them 'not worth the hassle'. However, the savings from your suggestion make it worth some hassle at this point.

Any advice on where to find practical instructions on the  'ways to refill the smaller carts with that ink'?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:18 am »

To take the ink out of the big cart a modified syringe with a short fitting tube + v cut in the tip will do if that modification fits the 10600 cart valve. To fill the 2000p small carts visit a refill web page with instructions for that model. Given the >600 Euro you need for all the big carts that size you may rethink going that way as an R3000 has already larger carts (about 30 ML) and way better inks. An 3800 or 3880 (80 ML) is also an option.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

330+ paper white spectral plots:

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up