Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To create my own viewing area  (Read 4988 times)

Andrew Makiejewski

• Photography by Andrzej Stefan Makiejewski
To create my own viewing area
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:20:13 pm »

Hello, a Happy New Year to everyone. Health and prosperity throughout the year.

I want to create my own print viewing system. I create prints for my own use or as gifts for friends and family only.

Purchased a 36"x48" magnetic whiteboard so I can compare print if need be. The part I need some help on is the lighting. Want to use Solux bulbs to evaluate the prints using two different colour temp bulbs ( not at the same time). Would like to easily switch between the bulb types and maybe even use a dimmer. Also don't want to cost within reason as well.

So what fixtures and so on would you recommend?

Thanks.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

howardm

Re: To create my own viewing area
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:35:03 am »

take a read of this

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/01/tour-of-neils-print-studio.html

You dont have that big a choice of fixtures for the Solux bulbs although I guess they are now making
std. socket models.

I'd say get 2x number of fixtures and install both color temps and some sort of control to switch and/or dim them

PhilipCummins

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:35 am »

The part I need some help on is the lighting. Want to use Solux bulbs to evaluate the prints using two different colour temp bulbs ( not at the same time). Would like to easily switch between the bulb types and maybe even use a dimmer. Also don't want to cost within reason as well.

I'd probably get at least 2 gooseneck or telescoping MR16 fixtures from Solux direct here at about $110 that you can clamp on to your viewing area and pair it with some good quality wall powered transformers and switches. For dimming you would either need to move the lamp or get the diffuser + ND filters to adjust it to your preference to avoid changing the colour temperature. Eiko used to sell the Eiko 19150 clamp-on fixture that you could use with a tripod however it's getting pretty difficult to find nowadays, but it's worth having a look for if you prefer to go down the tripod mount path. There's also the Solux Art Framing light here however you'd need to find a way to affix it to a wall or mount correctly.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »

I'd probably get at least 2 gooseneck or telescoping MR16 fixtures from Solux direct here at about $110 that you can clamp on to your viewing area and pair it with some good quality wall powered transformers and switches. For dimming you would either need to move the lamp or get the diffuser + ND filters to adjust it to your preference to avoid changing the colour temperature. Eiko used to sell the Eiko 19150 clamp-on fixture that you could use with a tripod however it's getting pretty difficult to find nowadays, but it's worth having a look for if you prefer to go down the tripod mount path. There's also the Solux Art Framing light here however you'd need to find a way to affix it to a wall or mount correctly.

Just a warning about the Eiko clip on desk lamp which I had. The transformer on mine didn't last very long. Had it about two years before it died with a combined accumulative on time no more than 40 hours. The 50 watt 4700K Solux MR16 lamp is still good. Just haven't found a lamp for it, yet.

Andrew Makiejewski

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »

take a read of this

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/01/tour-of-neils-print-studio.html

You dont have that big a choice of fixtures for the Solux bulbs although I guess they are now making
std. socket models.

I'd say get 2x number of fixtures and install both color temps and some sort of control to switch and/or dim them

Thanks for the link. Had a look, but I could dream of having such a space for my work area. Have picked up a couple of other ideas though.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

Andrew Makiejewski

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:04:53 pm »

I was looking at the gooseneck system, but at 4 of them. Two for each of D50 and a warmer bulb. Tripods are out of the question, especially because of space limitations. Using a second bedroom.

Thanks, Andrew
Capture the moment.

Andrew Makiejewski

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:06:48 pm »

Just a warning about the Eiko clip on desk lamp which I had. The transformer on mine didn't last very long. Had it about two years before it died with a combined accumulative on time no more than 40 hours. The 50 watt 4700K Solux MR16 lamp is still good. Just haven't found a lamp for it, yet.

Thanks for the warning. A lot of the transformers being made do not last very long. Have had many die after a year that powered different types of devices.

Andrew
Capture the moment.

PhilipCummins

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:54 am »

Yes I'd have to agree those transformers weren't the best and were a bit twitchy when I used them on my US -> AU power converter (and still do occasionally). Mostly these days I just use a local $20 Australian wall plug transformer that I adapted to connect into the Eiko triple prong plug, works fine. If I start using it more I'll probably cut the lead and wire it direct into the transformer for reliability. Not sure why they make finding the fixtures for the MR16's so hard outside of ceiling mounts however...

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 08:53:48 am »

Not sure why they make finding the fixtures for the MR16's so hard outside of ceiling mounts however...

An underemployed master electrician working in Lowe's electrical department where I was looking for a replacement MR16 lamp for the Solux bulb and not finding it, told me home builders overall are resorting to other "safer" more convenient fixture type lighting connects due to the many reports of fires caused by 12 volt MR16 fixtures. Something about questionable transformer quality control issues overseas. Go figure.

Not saying they're all doing this but when there are better, cheaper, safer ways of lighting that don't require 12 volt transformers, the market dictates why regular MR16 non-track lighting lamps aren't as readily available and if they are, they're going for an outrageous price like $100+ as mentioned above for the Solux desk lamp.

Why so much for a lamp? Whata' ya bet most of the cost is going into say...the transformer!

I've got an Alzo digital 150 watt output CFL bulb I leave on all day, everyday. It's cool to the touch, adequately neutral looking and hasn't crapped out on me. Cost me $10 from Amazon. Fills my entire 12x14 living room with tons of light to where I don't need any other lights on. Doesn't produce so much heat that it causes my AC to constantly kick in like it does running hot lights.

KeithR

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:42 am »

Been looking at making my own viewing area for some time and ordered a 36 x 48 inch metallic white board and am looking at lighting options. I 'm looking at Solux lights and haven't decided on the MR16 or the PAR. I have a ceiling fixture available for the PAR but it is at the other end of the room(about 10 foot distance) from where the viewing area is. It's the only area available. I know Solux has extended swivel fixtures for PAR's and that is an option, but don't know how good the light would be at that distance. The other option would be the goose neck fixtures for the MR16's which would attach to a shelf that is above the viewing area placing the lights within a couple of feet of the area. Any comments? Suggestions?
How far from can the light source be(from the viewing area) and the light still be affective? I could not find any info relating to this on the Solux site.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:18:17 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up