Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 first print washed-out  (Read 1866 times)

BillyR

Epson 3800 first print washed-out
« on: January 01, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »

I found a thread on this subject via a search and started to post on it, but got the warning that it hadn't been posted on in more than 120 days (actually a year and a half), so decided to start another.

Like the OP on that thread, I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with CS5, and for some time my first print was all washed-out and apparently unprofiled, while subsequent prints of the same file with the same settings were normal. I had stumbled on the solution of starting printing with no paper in the printer, and after it went through its routine and stopped I would put a sheet or sheets in, press the applicable button and the prints would be normal. I would have to go through this for each new file if I didn't want to waste the first sheet of paper every time.  I hadn't considered that the problem might be CS5 but thinking back I didn't remember the problem occurring until I got CS5, which was sometime last year, about the same time I got my 64-bit computer.

After reading through that thread and seeing that the OP had solved his problem with QImage it occurred to me that I didn't see that he had tried using the 32-bit version of CS5 to print, so I tried that. I've only done it once, and sure enough the first print was normal. If it continues to work, it looks like the problem may have been with the 64-bit version of CS5. I suppose time will tell. If this fixes it perhaps my old 3800, which is still giving me great results otherwise, may have a new lease on life, although from time to time I'm tempted by something new and exciting. Others who are using this printer with this problem may want to try this.

I suppose this is an appropriate day for my first post on this board. Happy New Year!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Epson 3800 first print washed-out
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 04:16:25 pm »

Did you check whether the version of the Epson driver you are using for your 3800 is compatible with CS5 and your 64-bit operating system? That *may be* the source of the problem - I'm not sure, but worth verifying.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BillyR

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 04:41:50 pm »

Did you check whether the version of the Epson driver you are using for your 3800 is compatible with CS5 and your 64-bit operating system?
Good idea. I checked my Printer Properties but couldn't tell whether the driver was 12493 (32-bit) or 12494 (64-bit). However, I always keep the latest driver in my files, and see that the last driver I installed was 12494, so I'm working with the 64-bit driver all right. So far as I can see, Epson doesn't issue special drivers for Photoshop versions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 04:46:02 pm »

Good, so driver version likely isn't the cause. I had in mind the 32 vs 64 bit issue. I assume you uninstalled the old one and deleted the printer from your operating system before up-grading to the new one. If you didn't I suggest trying that. It may be worthwhile sending an email to Epson Tech Support asking whether there is a known issue between the latest driver version and PSCS5 causing your problem. I'd think not, but worth verifying with them. Their email tech support is normally responsive and useful.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »

Like the OP on that thread, I have a Windows 7 64-bit computer with CS5, and for some time my first print was all washed-out and apparently unprofiled, while subsequent prints of the same file with the same settings were normal. I had stumbled on the solution of starting printing with no paper in the printer, and after it went through its routine and stopped I would put a sheet or sheets in, press the applicable button and the prints would be normal. I would have to go through this for each new file if I didn't want to waste the first sheet of paper every time.  I hadn't considered that the problem might be CS5 but thinking back I didn't remember the problem occurring until I got CS5, which was sometime last year, about the same time I got my 64-bit computer.

I suppose this is an appropriate day for my first post on this board. Happy New Year!

I'm printing to a 3830 from Windows 7 64 bit using the ver 6.60 driver and have had no problems. In the Photoshop print dialog, it is important to make certain that Photoshop manages the color and that the profile for the paper is correctly set. Of course, the file you are printing must have a profile.

With the Printer Properties, the No Color Adjustment should be selected. One can further adjust the Quality options, but a suboptimal setting here should not cause washed out prints. Hope this helps and happy new year.

Regards,

Bill

BillyR

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

Thanks for both the previous replies. It's my normal practice to completely delete a printer before installing a driver, and I expect I did so before I installed this driver last August, but memory is a fragile thing. I'll consider doing it again and losing all my settings when I get tired of using the 32-bit version of CS5 for printing as I'm doing now. Right now I'm happy with that fix. BTW, I checked the Photoshop boards and found one posting about this problem (Actually it was that the printer was using the previous profile) from April 2011 and didn't see a solution. My guess is it's a CS5 problem.

I learned long ago from Eric Chan and other sources about the proper print setup, and almost never screw it up now (Notice I said almost!).
Pages: [1]   Go Up