Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to lightroom finding folders  (Read 1310 times)

shaun

New to lightroom finding folders
« on: January 01, 2012, 08:34:06 am »

Hi
Hi

I am new to lightroom. I normally use C1 and when I work on a series of images I drag the folder to a seperate hard drive when finished that way I can always access the images easily. I have been doing the same with lightroom and assumed that if I select "find" I would be brought to the folder. This doesn't seem to be the case and I am spending a lot of time trying to find shots.

Is there a workflow that I should use to allow me to continue to drag my folders to hard drives when they are complete?

Also the folders that I have now worked on and deleted from the desktop can these be found again?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Shaun

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: New to lightroom finding folders
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:09 am »

Remember Lightroom is a cataloguing program, a database, so first the existence of other drive needs to be recorded in the catalogue. In Lightroom's Folders panel, click the + button and choose Add Folder. Then point to a folder on that other drive. You will now be able to drag folders into it.

John

shaun

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »

Thanks

Sounds simple when you know.

Shaun

Steve House

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

Remember that LR does non-destructive editing.  That means the files you're working on aren't actually being changed by LR.  The "changes" you make to the images as you work on them recorded as data in the catalog but are not applied to the image file itself on disk. When you export that image or print it, the changes to it recorded in the database are applied to the copy exported or as it goes to the printer but the image file in storage on the disk is the same as when you first captured it into LR. Development changes are stored in the database but not written to the image itself so the files you're copying will NOT reflect any development work you've done in LR when you view them in some other program. If you think about your workflow, you might find that some of the steps of putting the image in a working folder for editing, then subsequently moving to a storage folder when they're fully 'cooked' are unnecessary.  If you're going to work in LR for the entire process, place the files into their permanent online location as you bring them into LR as they come off the camera or card, with a backup copy stored offline.  Next batch to import, create the new folder where these files are going to live permanently and send them directly there during the first import.  If you've already made a backup of the originals during the import process, there's no reason to have one folder where you store them as they are developed and another folder to move them to once editing is completed.  Put them in the folder that's to be their permanent home right from the get-go and be done with it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:09:07 am by Steve House »

shaun

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:46:35 am »

Thanks Steve for all your very useful information.

Shaun

meyerweb

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:39 pm »

Just in case it's not clear from the above, you should do all your file moves within Lightroom, not using the OS. Then LR will keep track of things for you.

But there are far better ways in LR to keep track of images than moving images around. I'd strongly suggest getting a book, or viewing some of the available online tutorials, and learn about keywords, star ratings and color tags, as well as the various filter options.

shaun

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »

Thanks Meyerweb

This all started because I did an edit (colour coded) of a trip and produced low res images for selection by an editor. I then went to output high res shots a month later and found that I couldn't find them despite them still being on my desktop. I was looking in backups but found the folder elsewhere. Clearly I need to get to grips with LR. I have the tutorial from this website but it didn't appear to address my issue.

Thanks again

Shaun
Pages: [1]   Go Up