Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing panoramic picture in panels on inkjet  (Read 2019 times)

The Old Fart

Printing panoramic picture in panels on inkjet
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »

I created a panoramic picture made up of 7 shots taken in portrait mode.   I have since stitched them togeter using Photoshop Elements.  I would like to print them out onto A4 paper in portrait mode using my Canon MG5150 printer.  I wish to have these pages slightly overlap & I will then put them together.  As far as I can see Photoshop Elements doesn't allow for printing a Panaramic on multiple pages unless I were then to slice the picture up again.  Is there an software that you can recomend for printing pictures in this way?  I used to have one many years ago.

Thanks in advance

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Printing panoramic picture in panels on inkjet
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:35:17 pm »

Perfect Resize wil break it in to as many tiles as you want plus whatever you set as the over lap.
In my opinion the perfect time to buy it already printed.
The effort you will put into this and then you have all those seams.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »

Is there an software that you can recomend for printing pictures in this way?

Hi,

Qimage will automatically (if the warning is accepted) print multipage tiles if the requested output size exceeds the available paper size. The only thing I'm not sure about is the overlap, without which a really straight cutter is required. I requested that overlap feature a long time ago but I was unable to convince Mike Chaney at that time. Maybe if enough people request it, it will be implemented (if it isn't by now, I didn't check) afterall.

Anyway, Qimage produces superior output quality so it's a must have utility anyway. For Mac users, it's a Windows application but apparently several users run it under Parallels/Fusion.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

irvweiner

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:14 pm »

Somehow, Microsoft released a free prgm, MS ICE where you drop your images in and get out a stitched pano. The pano can consist of one row of images (P or H) or many rows. I have been using several of the classic stitching prgms over the last decade and have switched to ICE. I fed it some of my 'double aspirin' pano files and within a few minutes produced a superb stitched image. I say get that team on Windows!

I have chosen to shoot my panos or 'arrays' in the horizontal mode--it may take a few more frames but you have the convenience of using your camera a 'normal' mode. No twisting or bending to make adjustments in port mode--this true for me off or on the tripod.

In addition, please note that some photogs are printing their panos that they have broken into tiles in a very creative, dynamic manner. Instead of battling seams, the tiles are creatively spaced and individually mounted. In some cases, Port & Horz images are intermixed. The eye-brain does the assimilation.

My main purpose for shooting in multiple rows for a given landscape scene is to generate a MF or LF image that stays tack sharp for 'big pix'---17x37 (my Epson 3880) or greater using a contract printer.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:21:04 am »

Hi,

Qimage will automatically (if the warning is accepted) print multipage tiles if the requested output size exceeds the available paper size. The only thing I'm not sure about is the overlap, without which a really straight cutter is required. I requested that overlap feature a long time ago but I was unable to convince Mike Chaney at that time. Maybe if enough people request it, it will be implemented (if it isn't by now, I didn't check) afterall.

Anyway, Qimage produces superior output quality so it's a must have utility anyway. For Mac users, it's a Windows application but apparently several users run it under Parallels/Fusion.

Cheers,
Bart

I wondered whether Qimage's canvas wrap feature + tiling could be done in one step, say stretch the edges 1mm for an overlap but that does not work. What does work is tiling in Print to File to a size that falls within the printable size of A4 minus 2mm, say 280 x 201 mm and then print all the image slices in canvas wrap mode with a 1mm stretch wrap on A4 sheets. You have to cut the overlaps at 3 sides then as there will also be an overlap on the sides that will not be stitched. Of course tiling + a direct creation of an overlap at the intended connection(s) would be nice. I think stretching the pixels at the edge is actually a better solution than keeping part of the image beyond the cut.

It would be nice to have a list of Qimage feature requests on an independent web site. That said it can not be difficult to make a PS action that slices a panorama and adds a pixel stretch at one side. I have done more complex things in my Canvas Wrap PS actions when a Qimage request for a feature like that was not honored. It later was honored when someone else asked for it.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/index.html

FTNuser

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:09:27 pm »

Hi Old Fart,

In case the full-blown version of Photoshop (rather than Elements) is an option - its Photomerge function does what you're looking for brilliantly. I regularly create very large panoramas by merging as many as 56 originals into one seamless image - the program cuts, stitches, stretches, compresses and adjusts exposure, curves, etc. while you sit back and watch. I use a small 6 megapixel Lumix and I create finished images that can be printed 8 feet wide or more at 300dpi (or more!) From the finished print I can slice and dice into any number of panels with or without overlap.

To minimize the need for paneling I've been nurturing a relationship with a local high-end, large scale print shop, but I also have an Epson 3880 (17x22 and up to 17x37) on its way to me (I've been using a 13x19 R2400 for the past 6 years.)

The downside for using so many originals is the need for lots of computer power - my system has 24gb of ram and 1.5tb of swap disc for Photoshop's use and I sometimes forget that the Photomerge processing can take a lot of time on a slower system. Patience, though, yields results. If you're running into hardware issues, remember that RAM continues to get cheaper and cheaper...

Also, a tip - I learned the hard way to NOT let Photoshop use your SSD for its scratch discs! Generally there's lots less room available and the read/write is abysmally sloooow...

Good luck!
melvin
Pages: [1]   Go Up