Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Year Sails By  (Read 4289 times)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Another Year Sails By
« on: December 31, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »

Nariman Point, Bombay

Rob C

Re: Another Year Sails By
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:38:14 pm »

Is that anywhere near Juhu beach? Can't remember very well... how time flies!

Rob C

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »

Is that anywhere near Juhu beach? Can't remember very well... how time flies!

Rob C

Rob,

No, Juhu beach is up the waterline.  See attached map.

Added:  Nariman Point is where the Oberoi Hotel is located, site of the 2008 terrorist attacks.  Also very close to the Taj Mahal hotel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:47:33 pm by Rajan Parrikar »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »

Rob,

No, Juhu beach is up the waterline.  See attached map.

Added:  Nariman Point is where the Oberoi Hotel is located, site of the 2008 terrorist attacks.  Also very close to the Taj Mahal hotel.

Thanks for that - also interesting seeing Mazagon Docks on it - that's where the old Scindia Steam Navigation Company had its Bombay works... production moved to Vizag. Jala Usha... 1948?

Wonderful country.

Rob C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:41:59 pm »

Here's another one from Bombay Harbour, but a few years ago.  '79, I believe.  Rajan, are these days gone forever?

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:19:44 am »

Peter,

That is a beautiful image.

Yes, those days are gone forever.  All Indian urban spaces today are stinking, noisy hellholes with not a single redeeming feature (and defended only by middle-to-upper class West-aping urban Indian Philistines).

For a nostalgic trip down Bombay's past, check out this lovely documentary made by an American -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob8n_Aaog58

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:53 am »

Peter,

That is a beautiful image.

Yes, those days are gone forever.  All Indian urban spaces today are stinking, noisy hellholes with not a single redeeming feature (and defended only by middle-to-upper class West-aping urban Indian Philistines).For a nostalgic trip down Bombay's past, check out this lovely documentary made by an American -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob8n_Aaog58

That’s a bit harsh – after all, it’s only by having aspirations and working hard cleverly that people – any people, as a whole – get anywhere, and India certainly seems to be one of the very few places making progress.

I’m not sure what you could do to replace the middle-to-upper classes: have a revolution by kidding the lower classes that they will benefit? Tell that to the French! Tell it to the Arab Springers, for that matter – you exchange one despotic form of governance for another with a different title. What’s that phrase – plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose? India, of course, has the added problem of caste on top of class.

The problem is over-population. China is trying hard to combat it; one religion at least is doing its best to cover its eyes and pretend it isn’t an issue; I have no idea what India is doing – or can do – if family is still looked upon as source of free labour on the farm, or wherever. Perhaps an unnatural sterility will descend upon us all thanks to Japan or maybe Iran… who knows. It’s like there is a death wish abroad – a common  urge to explode and be done with the entire human experience.

I shudder for my grandchildren.

Rob C

P.S. So much for 2012 being brighter!
        ;-)

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »

Rob,

Yes, the pressure of population is an important factor.  But it does not tell the whole story (corruption, terrible mismanagement, indifference to planning, etc). At any rate, this discussion is now outside the purview of this forum, so I'll say no more.

John R

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 12:29:10 am »

Rajan and Peter, outstanding water and boat images. Rajan, I bet it is the humidy that allows for the sun to be so diffused that you can capture it and still have the surrounding areas well exposed and with so much atmosphere. Peter, speaking of atmosphere, what a wonderful capture. It looks as though the ship was lit with a large diffuse light. Very nice.

JMR

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:42 am »

Rajan and Peter, outstanding water and boat images. Rajan, I bet it is the humidy that allows for the sun to be so diffused that you can capture it and still have the surrounding areas well exposed and with so much atmosphere. Peter, speaking of atmosphere, what a wonderful capture. It looks as though the ship was lit with a large diffuse light. Very nice.

JMR

John,

During the 'winter' months a haze sets over the city.  It helped blunt the sun in my shot.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 03:21:35 am »

John,

During the 'winter' months a haze sets over the city.  It helped blunt the sun in my shot.

Here in Mallorca, it appears the opposite: come summer, the city of Palma can be seen, from afar, as a tobacco cloud, a blight on the landscape. In winter, the air is much clearer and, I suppose, there's less boat, car and motorbike traffic exhaust getting trapped in the air.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up